Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Mid 2011 - GPU problem - no warranty - not under replacement program

Hello, I have a 27 inch iMac Mid 2011 (purchased on 28.05.2011 including Apple Care). Last weekend the screen went blue and the iMac had problems to boot (stuck on grey screen - start up loop). I suspected the well known GPU problem so I took it to my reseller.

Diagnose : GPU problem but since the replacement program is terminated Apple decided that I have to pay the full cost for reparation : nearly 600 euro.

Apple decided that they will replace the video card free of charge for four years after the first retail sale of the computer. I'm deeply disappointed in Apple since I am an Apple user since 1992 and it feels like they let me down. Apple is clearly aware that there is a problem with the video card. It seems like I have bad luck that my iMac wasn't showing any sign of video card problem earlier. I can't use my iMac a lot due to work, so if I had turned on the iMac a bit more or let it run whole weeks I would have had more "luck"?

I kindly called Apple and asked if they would revise their position, but the helpdesk said they couldn't do anything for me. I kindly asked the assistent if he could discuss it with his manager, but it didn't help.

Is there anything I could do? I am disappointed in Apple because I feel they don't care for long time users and they force you to buy a new iMac. For the iPhone 5 there is a replacement program for the battery; I took mine to my reseller but my iPhone doesn't apply, for Apple the battery is good enough. So if I had taken my iMac to the reseller without any sign of problem Apple would say it didn't apply for the video card replacement program.

Is there any way to convince Apple to take care of my video card problem? At the moment I agreed to pay for the reparation since I need my iMac but I will continue to seek for a solution from Apple (refund or half of the cost).

Is there any advice in this, how can I convince Apple in changing it's position?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), iMac 27-inch Mid 2011

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 3:31 AM

16 replies

Nov 29, 2015 11:04 AM in response to Corradomac

Ask to speak to the manager yourself, continue to be polite but firm. That you've already agreed to pay for the repair isn't going to help. Good luck.

I would have to consider the cost of the repair versus the cost of a later model more capable refurbished unit. It looks to me like you could have had a pretty nice iMac for about twice the price of the repair.

Don't be disappointed in Apple, they've already quadrupled the warranty on that particular component.

Nov 29, 2015 11:15 AM in response to Corradomac

Since it is clearly a production problem Apple should repair all iMacs with this problem or organise a recall (like car dealers). For me it feels like just bad luck. I will recontact Apple on this issue and I will send an email to Tim Cook, you'll never know. Other users get their iMac serviced for free; I have to pay the full cost for the same problem. I know they can't keep servicing any machine but this is clearly a production problem.

Nov 29, 2015 11:21 AM in response to Corradomac

Corradomac wrote:

Since it is clearly a production problem Apple should repair all iMacs with this problem or organise a recall (like car dealers).

They did, had you followed the instructions in the link you referenced in your initial post you would have seen that. That program has expired, do you think it's Apple's responsibility to hold it open forever?

Nov 29, 2015 12:10 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Yes they should keep it open and repair all claims for a replacement program.

The site clearly states that the iMac has to show the symptoms; there is no preventive action or recall (otherwise I would have done that). That is why I think Apple could/should organise it different. Or accept claims from users with the same problem. So there is no need to point the finger at me... Who makes iMac's and earns money on them?

Dec 6, 2015 5:11 AM in response to Javierpb

Yes Javier, if only Apple would recognise this as a production problem! Apple has almost certainly received a financial compensation from AMD for all cards and now Apple is letting us down... The GPU problem is like a ticking time bomb in this series of iMac, it is only a matter of time before it goes wrong. So Apple be fair and extend the replacement program for all iMacs from this serie without a silly limit on it.

Javier I've written an email to Tim Cook and I am looking for a lawyer who will write a formal letter of complaint since this is clearly a production problem.

Dec 8, 2015 11:52 AM in response to Corradomac

With the info of the two similar cases in which both iMacs where sold in the same period as mine and broke down in nearly the same month as mine I recontacted Apple. I explained that I found two similar cases and asked if they would review their position.

The Apple Support manager created an exception so I got my iMac back repaired free of charge! So it is well worth searching for similar cases in which Apple did provided coverage although the replacement program finished.

Thank you Apple and Apple Support; but I still think that when their is a known problem for which is a replacement program is or was active Apple should provide coverage for every affected machine without any limit of age or organise a recall. I really love Apple!

Jan 2, 2016 8:24 AM in response to Corradomac

Hello Corradomac, Javierpb,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am in similar situation, iMac bought in mid 2011 with defective GPU. I cannot use it at all and I have no the money to fix it (as they ask in the Apple Store in Dresden (Germany)).

I tried to show them your stories and how some exceptions have been made to cover the repair of the defective GPU. But they just say that this is not official forum and anyone could say that.

Do you have any proof of your iMacs being repaired and covered by the Apple Store?

Which apple store did you go?

I am frankly quite disappointed with Apple, I do not expect this to happen when buying a premium product as they sell.

Any idea what else can I do to get this repaired?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Jan 2, 2016 12:15 PM in response to Jamedinar

My dealer had to follow to official rules of Apple, so I called Apple Support and mentioned the link to the Australian forum where I found two exceptions. If I where you I should point them to this forum or call Apple Support. My case is known by Apple under the number 996271759. Normally when you find an exception Apple is willing to give the same level of support, so be polite and insist for the same level of service.

I hope for you that they accept your case; don't give up ;-) Apple Dresden can contact me or look for info under the case number.

Jan 4, 2016 7:49 AM in response to Corradomac

Hello Corradomac,

thanks for your kind response.

I did as you told me and contacted Apple Support, they looked very sympathetic and gave me an appointment with the customer department.

Unfortunately this new department rejected to repair the GPU claiming that they are mainly SW and it is the Apple Store who should decide on this... ???

They also added that they are not able to see others cases so got me blocked here.

At the end they just gave me a hint to ask in a different Apple Store.

May I ask you which Apple Store or dealer did your reparation?

Maybe I could still get a chance if I call them... 😟

Any idea what could I try?

I really need my iMac back but cannot afford this reparation 😢

@Javierpb: Serias tan amable de decirme en que Apple Store arreglaste el iMac?

En breve vuelvo a España y llevaría el iMac conmigo.

Thanks a lot and regards,

Jan 4, 2016 12:19 PM in response to Jamedinar

Hello Jamedinar, in Belgium there is only one Apple Store (very recently in Brussels). I bought my iMac at easy-m Herentals (Premium Apple Service Provider). A dealer has to follow the Apple rules : 4 years after first resale. They gave me the advice to contact Apple Support to ask for an exception, since a dealer can't do that. I contacted Apple Support twice but they refused. I searched hard to find an exception and found it on an Australian forum. With this info I made an appointment with Apple Support to contact me. They contacted me and I explained what I have found : two Australians who got their iMac serviced without a cost. I made clear that I think it is clearly a production problem so Apple should repair every iMac with this problem.

Apple Support listened to what I have found and they read the thread on the Australian forum; the manager came to the phone and he made an exception which was send directly to my dealer.

I think an Apple Store can decide more than a dealer; so maybe you could make an appointment in the genius bar and show the information and ask for the same level of service as the Australians and me? I still think you have a fair chance to get the same level of support. Don't give up; there are some cases known to Apple; there is no reason in my opinion why you shouldn't get the same level of service.

Jan 5, 2016 8:04 AM in response to Corradomac

Hello,

Thanks Corradomac, I just want to update my experience in case it helps anyone:

I contacted Apple Support again (this time in Spanish). As always, the are very sympathetic at the beginning until they call the manager and he reads the notes. Their speech is always the same: a decision was already taken by the Apple Store in Dresden and they can only support that, no way to make exception. This time they were very rude, when I started to bring the proofs about people who were in same situation, they just said goodbye and closed the call. I thought they were polite and reasonable people.

I am really dissapointed with them, I really feel discriminated by Apple as they are not treating me in same way as others.

They should be ashamed of this behaviour, selling defective products at a premium price, and not taking responsability for their faults.

Other reputable brands are sending (at least) notification when selling a defective product, and it is up to the client to check if that applies to him.

- My friend has a HP pc and he received a mail that the battery might be defective, and he changed it.

- My wife received a letter with a piece that "could be defective" in some Thermomix sold during a specific period.

But Apple do not even notify their clients (they just hope for the program to expire to forget about their responsability).

If I had known a problem with the GPU could be there, I would have taken my iMac to repair long time ago, since I already was experiencing problems with it two years back.

Thanks to whoever reads this, now you know the Apple world is not as beautiful as they want us to believe.

I will sell my iMac on eBay and buy a PC from another brand. For sure it will be cheaper, probably more powerful and the support service can only be better than Apple's.

iMac Mid 2011 - GPU problem - no warranty - not under replacement program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.