Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro smart keyboard shortcuts stop working

I just purchased the keyboard for the ipad pro the other day. Has anyone experienced the shorcuts (App switching/cmd-tab, etc) to randomly stop working? It's happening more frequently, and the only way to fix it seems to be disconnecting and reconnecting the keyboard.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 4:50 AM

67 replies

Dec 3, 2015 8:24 AM in response to jakeycov

I guess it's good that I am not the only one seeing this. I have several calls logged with support and the only issue they found online is my post. Also not sure if others just don't care or don't want to go through the trouble. I think its a software bug but I'm no expert. I have tried a reset of all settings, as well as a complete wipe and iOS download and reload, starting with setup as a new iPad and still experience the issue...it's really only the home screen shortcuts that are affected....cmd-tab, cmd-shift-H, and cmd-spacebar. Safari, mail and other shoortcuts work, but a few times I have seen other app shortcuts affected, but the majority of time, it is primarily home ones. They are sending me a new keyboard, but I am not counting on that to fix it, unfortunately. Bummer, because I really enjoy the keyboard and I don't want to buy the logitech and have the extra weight. Disconnecting and reconnecting the keyboard will fix it but several times a day of doing this can be annoying.

Dec 8, 2015 5:51 AM in response to orion32773

I've experienced this, especially with Cmd-Tab for app switching. It's fine for a while and then, when I select Cmd-Tab once, the app switcher jumps through several apps.

The only way I've found to fix this is to disconnect and reconnect the smart keyboard. The problem normally returns within 20-30 minutes.

I've also seen some shortcuts not being recognised in other apps, e.g. Mail. I'll hold down Cmd and only one or two shortcuts appear. Disconnect/Reconnect the keyboard and the whole list of shortcuts is displayed.

I'm hoping this is a software issue that will be fixed with a future update.

Dec 8, 2015 12:22 PM in response to orion32773

Has anyone downloaded the latest 9.2 update? Maybe there is a hidden fix in there. Nothing in the release notes. I received a replacement keyboard yesterday and have not had the problem yet....only a new problem where when using the app switcher, it started switching to the wrong app no matter what I picked in the list. Only way to fix that was a reboot.

Dec 8, 2015 2:55 PM in response to orion32773

I'm on iOS 9.2 on my iPad Pro. I'm using the Logitech Create, and I've been having the same issue as Fundy19 with Command-Tab jumping through several apps. I can confirm that my keyboard is actually functioning worse than it did in the previous software version. Not only does my Command-Tab issue persist, but the iPad seems to repeatedly ignore keystrokes from my keyboard, meaning I have to constantly backspace and re-type words. I can't tell if it's just lagging software, but it definitely didn't behave this way before iOS 9.2. It's to the point where I legitimately can't use this thing until they resolve the issue, because I have to re-type almost every other word.

Anyone else having this issue? If so, please share which keyboard you're using. Thanks!

iPad Pro smart keyboard shortcuts stop working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.