Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10.1 : Can't Delete Older Project

I have an older "trailer" project from 2012 that I'm unable to delete which I believe was corrupt to begin with after upgrading to the most current version of iMovie. I deleted all the media from the project but the outline | storyboard | shot list seem to be intact and can't be edited. Do I need to re-import the media and place in the outline in order to delete? I appreciate any help.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 2.0ghz, 8GB Ram

Posted on Dec 3, 2015 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2017 12:47 PM

I've solved this in iMovie 10.1.5

I had this issue where the projects were showing as grey boxes which I could not delete. I opened a Finder window, went to my users/<username>/movies folder, right clicked on iMovie library and selected "show package contents".

In here I could see folders for the offending projects, so I deleted them.

When I restarted iMovie, it warned my me library was damaged, and I clicked on "repair" (not continue!).

Hey presto - undeleteable projects gone.

My existing projects were unharmed.

Hope this helps!

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2017 12:47 PM in response to Brandon Garrido

I've solved this in iMovie 10.1.5

I had this issue where the projects were showing as grey boxes which I could not delete. I opened a Finder window, went to my users/<username>/movies folder, right clicked on iMovie library and selected "show package contents".

In here I could see folders for the offending projects, so I deleted them.

When I restarted iMovie, it warned my me library was damaged, and I clicked on "repair" (not continue!).

Hey presto - undeleteable projects gone.

My existing projects were unharmed.

Hope this helps!

Dec 5, 2015 7:59 AM in response to Brandon Garrido

Hello Brandon,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

Can you delete the troublesome iMovie project from the main Projects view? For reference, here are the steps from View and manage projects - iMovie Help:

1. In Projects view, move the pointer over the project you want to manage.

2. Click the button to the right of the name of the project you want to manage, then do one of the following:

Delete the project: Choose Delete Project.

User uploaded file

If not, what happens when you try? For example, do you see an error message?

Best Regards.

Mar 12, 2016 6:44 PM in response to Tiger00

When iMovie misbehaves sometimes deleting the iMovie preferences will straighten it out. Launch iMovie while holding down the command and option keys. This will bring up a window where you can delete the preferences. Just keep stepping through the windows that come up selecting continue until you get to the projects window. Then try deleting the project as described above. If that doesn't work it's probably time to reinstall iMovie.

Mar 21, 2016 9:55 PM in response to jeremy_v

When I click the circle with the 3 horizontal dots icon to the right of the project name, all the options come up including delete project but I'm unable to delete the project. I can rename the project, etc. but just can't delete it. Also, I tried holding down the option and command buttons while opening imovie to delete the preferences but I'm still not able to delete the project after what Jim Wanamaker suggested.

Do you know how I go about reinstalling imovie?

Mar 22, 2016 3:03 PM in response to Brandon Garrido

To reinstall drag the iMovie app to the trash but don't empty the trash. Go to the App store and sign in with the Apple ID you used to purchase iMovie. Then go to the purchased tab and you should be able to redownload iMovie. If iMovie came with your computer when you purchased it from Apple then sign in to App store with the ID you used when you set up the computer.

Mar 24, 2016 5:02 PM in response to Brandon Garrido

Is your library in the movies folder on your startup drive or on an EHD? If it's on an EHD try creating a new user, open iMovie and see if you can delete. If it's in your movies folder create a new user open iMovie and create a new trailer and see if it will delete. This should tell you if the problem is related to your Home Directory.

May 4, 2016 10:21 PM in response to nicolerebert

As mentioned earlier (Jim Wanamaker), creating a Test User account on your Mac to then use that account to see if iMovie has the same issue is a good way to know if your iMovie issue is system wide or user account specific.

Has anyone booted into Safe Mode and tested iMovie to delete the project?

Start up in safe mode

1 Choose Apple menu ( icon at the top left of your screen) > Shut Down.

2 After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

3 Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key.

You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

4 Release the Shift key when you see the gray  Apple logo and progress indicator.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH18760?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

iMovie 10.1 : Can't Delete Older Project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.