Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I purchased a used Apple Watch but I can't pair it

I Purchased used Apple Watch and I can't pair it to my phone. It keeps saying it's linked to an iCloud account and I can't reach the old owner. What do I do

Apple Watch, iOS 9.2

Posted on Dec 8, 2015 6:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2016 11:00 AM

What if all the procedures have been done and it's still or working?

the prev owner went into his iCloud account and disabled the watch already! I turned on the watch, put in my Apple ID and password, agreed terms & policies.... It still came back asking "Registered owner Apple ID & Password"????

17 replies

Dec 9, 2015 12:50 AM in response to G8speed81

Hi

You are describing Activation Lock, which prevents unauthorised use of Apple Watch if it is lost or stolen.

To be able to pair it to your own iPhone, you need the previous owner to either:

• Enter their Apple ID and password on your device, or;
  • Turn the feature off via https://www.icloud.com/

Sign in with their Apple ID > Settings > My Devices > Click on Apple Watch > Click on the "X" > click on Remove.

Unless one or the other of these processes is followed, you will be unable to use the watch (there is no way around this security feature).

Dec 18, 2015 3:32 PM in response to johnnys11

johnnys11 wrote:

I have this same problem. What did you do??

If you are trying to activate or pair an  Watch and it is asking for a previous owners Apple ID and password, you have encountered the Activation Lock. This is a security feature that prevents thieves from setting up and using a stolen device. You have no alternative. You must contact the previous owner to get permission to use the device. If you cannot contact the previous owner return the device to where you bought it and get a refund. You will never be able to activate the device and no one can help you do it.

Nov 13, 2016 5:27 PM in response to Jonathan UK

Original owner and i are not in the same town, but he managed to call Apple Support to remove "Activation Lock". He will be receiving notification via email within a day or two from Apple Tech once it has been done. Fingers crossed!!! At least, an apple product has 24/7 apple support, I'm not too sure what's gonna happen without you guys!! Thanks again!

I purchased a used Apple Watch but I can't pair it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.