Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Side-scroll affects wrong "shelf" in iTunes Store

Hi I have three 2015 Retina iMacs in our house. And all of them experience this issue, so I assume it can be recreated by others.

Hovering over a new iTunes Store "shelf" (side-scrollable window) - in any of the the last several versions of iTunes (currently 12.3.1.23) - the scroll input initially does not respond. Attempts to side-scroll seem momentarily dead. (Using Magic Mouse)

And then after a couple- dead- attempts to scroll, iTunes suddenly wakes up and starts responding and all seems fine. But then when you move your cursor over the next "shelf", that shelf doesn't respond. At least that's what I thought - BUT...

Then I realized that iTunes WAS side-scrolling the second time I tried - but it wasn't affecting the shelf I was hovered over, it was rather affecting the previously scrolled shelf! Even if you already scrolled that shelf off the screen vertically. Meaning - that even though the cursor is clearly hovering over shelf 2, shelf 1 is still the one responding to side-scroll input.

Continuing to swipe the mouse and change direction, iTunes once again suddenly wakes up and switches the target shelf and starts scrolling correctly.

But this poor behavior just seems very un-Apple, and I can't quite wrap my head around whether there is something I'M doing that's causing it or what.

This inconsistent effect can be recreated ad nauseam simply by choosing new shelves to scroll. Vertical scroll works fine. It doesn't require a new page to load. I find the effect more pronounced in movies and tv show sections in the iTunes store.

This does not happen in any other app. Just iTunes. No discernible bluetooth issues appear to be present. All batteries in Magic Mice (mice? mouses? meese?) are new.

Any idea whether this is user-fixable, or is this just another weirdness with El Cap?

Thanks!

Posted on Dec 11, 2015 2:35 PM

37 replies

Dec 12, 2015 5:17 PM in response to Joel Pro

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About El Capitan

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan.

Feb 3, 2016 7:55 AM in response to Joel Pro

Hi Joel

No, you're not alone - same issue here.

I don't recall exactly when I first noticed the odd behavior, but the time frame early December 2015 could be right.

This is the sort of problem that gets extremely annoying, but still isn't serious enough for me to try the cumbersome procedure suggested by Eric.

I just hope Apple is working on it and we'll get a fix soon...

Feb 4, 2016 4:51 AM in response to Niko S.

Yeah, it's a bug. But as you say probably so low on the radar it's barely worth this comment. I've since realized I can recreate this problem on any fully updated mac, any iMac, Macbook, Macbook pro, etc not just mine.

I have to admit I did not bother to try Eric's procedures on my machine either since that's an old blurb that tends to get cut and pasted in general when people don't know what the solution is.

Mar 24, 2016 10:54 AM in response to Old Toad

I tried that on one of my machines earlier. Still happened. I can recreate the effect on any mac. The problem manifests more readily if you kick a scroll on one shelf and then quickly try to scroll on another before the first one stops. That quickness is not always necessary, but you can typically reproduce the problem easier.

Mar 24, 2016 10:59 AM in response to Joel Pro

I thought I must be missing something. I tried to reproduce the problem with a wired Apple Mouse. Hovered over each shelf, used the scroll button and the shelf I was over scrolled. Okay, so I thought maybe it's just an issue with a Magic Mouse. So I hooked one up and nope, scrolled just fine.

OSX 10.11.4 / iTunes 12.3.3.

Perhaps its just a connection speed issue.

Mar 24, 2016 12:44 PM in response to dialabrain

I tried with my old wired Mighty Mouse and can't reproduce the issue. The only problem is that Apple made scrolling with the track ball almost unusable. Scrolling up and down is too sensitive. The only way to make vertical scrolling usable is to set scrolling speed to minimum but then this makes horizontal scrolling unusable as it becomes too slow! This is one more of the annoyances in 10.11 which unfortunately wasn't on Apple's to-do list for fixing.

I'm in a middle of a backup but once this is done I will reload my MBP with Mavericks.

Side-scroll affects wrong "shelf" in iTunes Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.