Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5 battery swelling, opening the phone

My wifes iPhone 5 was working like new when we recognised the front cover was lifting up for no reason. After searching a bit online we found the battery is swelling and might possibly explode one day. We still have older iPhomes, even the original 1st generation with not problems (other than the lower capacity). I think this is not normal and Apple should replace the battery even the serial number is not in the range for the iPhone 5 battery program. Do you know whom to contact ? We dont have an Apple store here, just retailers.User uploaded file

iPhone 5, iOS 9.2

Posted on Dec 13, 2015 7:55 AM

16 replies

Dec 13, 2015 12:00 PM in response to jema1968

I have the exact same problem, except that the current battery is a replacement from Apple about 14 months, and 300 cycles ago. Despite the tech's very own words (and the diagnostics test results) that a typical life cycle count is about 1000 cycles, they will not replace the defective battery. No amount of arguing resulted in the Apple store manager here in Vancouver to help me. They claimed that it's an Apple policy to only exchange the phone at my cost of $99.

Dec 13, 2015 12:09 PM in response to peter_dee

99 USD ... here they want 500 USD, its interesting how charges are slightly different. I think also I'm a rather good Apple customer with currently 7 Minis, 1 Air, 2 Powerbooks, 2 ipads and much other stuff, cant count how many iPhones I had since the first one came out. Looks like being a loyal customer doesn't count here. Lets see maybe the battery explodes or catches fire and we will get attention then.

Dec 13, 2015 12:16 PM in response to jema1968

The 99$CAD is the price listed for the battery replacement, not the whole unit.

How much does iPhone Battery Replacement Service cost?

Service arranged through Apple costs $99. A $10.77 shipping fee will be added if this service requires shipping. All fees are in Canadian dollars and are subject to local tax.

copied from Service Answer Center - iPhone /Canada

If the phone has not been opened or serviced by a 3rd party, Apple can offer you the Out-of-warranty-repair service, meaning, offering you a replacement for paying a reduced price:

Out-of-warranty repair service

If your repair isn’t covered by Apple’s One Year Limited Warranty, AppleCare+, or AppleCare Protection Plan, your iPhone might be eligible for out-of-warranty service. For example, liquid damage isn’t covered by warranty but might be eligible for out-of-warranty service. Some damage isn’t eligible at all, for example if your device has been broken into multiple pieces. See Apple’s Repair Terms and Conditions for complete details.
Read Apple’s Repair Terms and Conditions

Model Out-of-warranty service fee Battery service*
iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6 Plus $329

$79
*available only if battery
fails Apple’s diagnostic test

iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 $299
iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5 $269
iPhone 4s $199
iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G $149

Plus a $6.95 shipping fee, if required. Fees are in USD and exclude local tax. Pricing is for service through Apple. The final service fee we charge will be determined during testing and may be less than the service fee listed above. Pricing and terms vary for service through an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

copied from Service Answer Center - iPhone /USA

Dec 13, 2015 12:32 PM in response to jema1968

Correct, some repair options might not be available in all countries, in your case, the carrier is handling the Out-of-warranty service.

Did you buy the phone in Qatar?

My iPhone is not eligible for warranty service. What are my service options?

There are two service options for an iPhone that is not eligible for warranty service:

1. Battery Replacement Service

If your iPhone requires service due to the battery’s diminished ability to hold an electrical charge and it is not covered under Apple's warranty or statutory consumer rights, please contact your carrier.
  2. Out-of-Warranty Service

Please contact your carrier for out-of-warranty service options.

copied from Service Answer Center - iPhone/ Qatar

Dec 13, 2015 12:40 PM in response to jema1968

In that case, you will only get the Out-of-warranty-servcie option in the UK. The warranty and other service options for the iPhone are only valid in the country of purchase.

Since Apple does not ship internationally, you or a person you trust has to bring the device back to the country of purchase.

That's why the service provider in your country wanted to sell you a new iPhone, they can't offer you the Out-of-warranty service.

Dec 13, 2015 12:48 PM in response to Ingo2711

I know, you are right. But I'm not so sure if it is such a wise idea to take a phone with battery damaged that way in to a plane. Thanks for all your answers, I was hoping Apple has some kind of goodwill. Maybe I just buy a battery off eBay for 10 USD and fix it my self, it doesn't look difficult. Thanks for your time mate.

Dec 13, 2015 12:53 PM in response to jema1968

You're welcome, sorry that I could not give you a different answer. The warranty policy is handled very strictly by Apple if it comes to the country of purchase.

Maybe you can find an experienced 3rd party repair shop to replace the battery, but after the phone has been opened by you or this 3rd party repair shop, Apple will not service the phone even in the country of purchase.

Dec 13, 2015 1:23 PM in response to Ingo2711

Now the interesting part is starting. I started a support request from US Apple website and did the diagnostics which found out that the battery has a problem. When I tried to start the chat I have to enter the serial number and get:

Our records indicate that this product has been replaced. Please provide the serial number for your replacement product to find the support and warranty coverage information. For more information, please...

I have for sure this phone in my hands and the apple store invoice with the serial number on it, so it was not replaced.

Iphone 5 battery swelling, opening the phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.