Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My new Apple Pencil gives me a "This accessory or cable is not certified ... " message.

My new Apple Pencil gives me a "This accessory or cable is not certified ... " message. It's just new out of the box and I get the message when I plug it in my iPad Pro. Anyone else with the same problem? Any fixes?

Posted on Dec 14, 2015 8:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 4:36 PM

"This cable or accessory is not certified.." seems to be a problem with iOS 9.2 failing to correctly identify an Apple Pencil with no battery charge. Use the male-to-female lightning adaptor that is provided with the Apple Pencil to connect it with your iPad Pro's charge cable, then charge it from your iPad Pro charger. After a couple of minutes the Apple Pen should have a percent or two of charge - enough for your iPad Pro to recognise it when plugged into your iPad Pros lightning port. Provided your Apple Pencil has enough charge, you should be offered the option to pair it, and be warned that the Apple Pencil has low charge. 10-15 minutes on charge is usually enough to provide the Apple Pencil with 15-20% charge.

If, even after a prolonged charge, you still have the same problem, check your iPad Pro's lightning port for fluff or other detritus. Failing that contact Apple Support.

Note: You can check you Apple Pencil's charge level by pulling down the notifications panel from the top of your iPad's screen and tap Widgets. Both your iPad and Apple Pencil charge level will be shown under the Battery widget.

I hope this helps.

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2016 4:36 PM in response to skewstudio

"This cable or accessory is not certified.." seems to be a problem with iOS 9.2 failing to correctly identify an Apple Pencil with no battery charge. Use the male-to-female lightning adaptor that is provided with the Apple Pencil to connect it with your iPad Pro's charge cable, then charge it from your iPad Pro charger. After a couple of minutes the Apple Pen should have a percent or two of charge - enough for your iPad Pro to recognise it when plugged into your iPad Pros lightning port. Provided your Apple Pencil has enough charge, you should be offered the option to pair it, and be warned that the Apple Pencil has low charge. 10-15 minutes on charge is usually enough to provide the Apple Pencil with 15-20% charge.

If, even after a prolonged charge, you still have the same problem, check your iPad Pro's lightning port for fluff or other detritus. Failing that contact Apple Support.

Note: You can check you Apple Pencil's charge level by pulling down the notifications panel from the top of your iPad's screen and tap Widgets. Both your iPad and Apple Pencil charge level will be shown under the Battery widget.

I hope this helps.

Mar 5, 2016 7:24 PM in response to sjesch

I know I'm kind of late to this thread, but I just had the same issue. Same message came up for me, I'm running iOS 9.2.1. Just got done talking with Debbie on Apple Chat Customer Service. Here is what she suggested.

1. Turn off Bluetooth

2. Turn on Airplane Mode for 15 seconds and then turn it back off.

3. Power down your iPad and then turn it back on.

4. Turn Bluetooth on.

5. Plug the Apple Pencil into the iPad and pair them.

It worked beautifully. I hope this info will help someone. Good luck.

Feb 6, 2016 1:02 PM in response to sjesch

Hi,

Has anyone from Apple come back on this thread?

I have an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil and the pencil was working fine but just stopped being recognised by the iPad recently.

I was worried I may have damaged it inadvertently but it looks fine.

I've tried restarting the iPad pro but still get the above message.

iOS is 9.2.1.

Andrew

Dec 19, 2015 3:13 PM in response to sjesch

Same here. I talked to Apple support through chat but they were unable to help me. I'll need to make a phone call and talk to an engineer, according to them. I may just ask for a replacement, as it seems to be hardly charging as well. It started after updating to iOS 9.2, and it's momentarily fixed by reverting to a backup but it only takes disconnecting the pencil once to have the "not certified"-message pop up again.

Dec 21, 2015 6:40 AM in response to sjesch

After trying everything, from resets to clean install, nothing seemed to be working. To be clear, I never even managed to connect the pencil to the iPad. Went back to the store and after testing it there on another iPad Pro, they gave me a replacement. Replacement works like a charm. So I doubt it was a software issue for me...

Feb 11, 2016 7:46 AM in response to j3T

All I stated was what worked for me (another end-user).

To reiterate: iOS 9.2 has an issue identifying Apple Pencils with no battery charge. As the iPad Pro rejects the Apple Pencil and won't charge it via the it's lightning port, you should charge the Apple Pencil using your iPad Pro's mains charger using the male-to-female lightning converter provided (see Use Apple Pencil with iPad Pro - Apple Support )

If charging the Apple Pencil doesn't fix the problem for you then either there's a hardware fault with your Apple Pencil (likely) or your iPad Pro (less likely if you're able to charge your iPad Pro), in which case you need to contact Apple Support ( https://getsupport.apple.com/ ) or take it back to the shop you bought it from.

My new Apple Pencil gives me a "This accessory or cable is not certified ... " message.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.