Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problems printing to bonjour shared printer on el capitan

Since upgrading to El Capitan, I cannot use the printer that is shared via bonjour. The printer does work from the computer it is attached to via usb.
I can see and choose the printer from the other computer, but when the file gets to the printer proxy it says it cannot connect to the printer, "communication error... printing - looking for printer..."

Any ideas? I've already uninstalled and reinstalled the printer and printer driver on the computer as suggested by Epson. They have since handed over the issue to Apple since it does work from the connected computer.

OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Dec 22, 2015 8:31 AM

17 replies

Jan 3, 2018 8:11 PM in response to luxxius

Epson doesn't provide drivers on its site. Instead it provides instructions to get drivers from the App Store.

My problem is similar Late 2008 Mac Pro (8 cores, 32GB) Connected to Epson WF1100 via USB ... shared. After upgrading to El Capitan, other computers on the network can no longer see the shared printer. When I go through the instructions to blow away the printing profile, and reload, the printer shows up briefly in Bonjour, but quickly goes away.

I have tried blowing away the printing profile. I have sequestered the contents of /Library/Printers/ and reloaded. I have tried going to Epson for drivers (aren't there)... Nothing, so far, has helped.

Dec 22, 2015 9:02 AM in response to talismanstudio

attach to printer using IP, I noticed some of my older printers did not work will with Bonjour or the transmissions were taking minutes to complete where as IP was instant. If switching to IP does not rectify the issue reset the printing system and use Apples preference not the Epson software to connect (but use the epson drivers if they claim they are compatible with 10.11)

Reset the printing system on your Mac - Apple Support

Dec 22, 2015 10:34 AM in response to talismanstudio

if the printer you are trying to print from is the same computer directly connected to the printer disregard this, your issue is with the driver or a software incompatibility. Check the developer page for the correct drive and if not exist for 10.11 contact them directly for support.

If you're sharing over the network the IP address is the address of the host computer, the one with the printer attached to it via USB. You mention Bonjour which is network protocol, neither IP or Bonjor are needed if there is one computer connected to directly to the printer, but if it's one computer hosting the printer and another computer trying to connect the IP address would be on the hosting computer; the one connected to the printer.

so for example you have an iMac with an IP Address of 192.168.1.124 (this is one possible network address out of a number of possible combinations) connected to a USB printer, you are trying to print from your MacBook Air you need to configure your printer from the MacBook Air side

>System Preferences...>Printer

User uploaded file

Dec 22, 2015 11:59 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

Hello - Sorry, but that didn't work either. I received the following error when adding the IP printer: "Unable to verify the printer on your network. Unable to connect to 192.168.1.139 due to an error. Would you still like to create the printer?" I chose 'continue' and tried to print to it anyway and came up with same error as previous tries - "Cannot connect to the printer, "communication error... printing - looking for printer..." Any ideas? The printer is on. Does the printer have its own IP if its connected to usb? There's also a router IP address.

Dec 22, 2015 4:58 PM in response to talismanstudio

The settings shown by JimmyCMPIT are not complete. If you add the printer this way then you will get the error messages you mention, both when creating the printer and when trying to use it.

If you add the printer using Terminal and the lpadmin command, the format is "lpadmin -p printer -E -v ipp://server/printers/printer", where server is the IP address of the Mac sharing the USB connected printer and printer is the name of the Epson on the sharing Mac. So if the Mac sharing the printer is 192.168.1.139 as you have written above, then you would enter

lpadmin -p Epson -E -v ipp://192.168.1.139/printers/Epson_Name

Note that if you have spaces in the name of the sharing printer then you replace these with an underscore. To confirm the correct name format to use, on the Mac sharing the printer, via Terminal enter

lpstat -p

This will show the correct format of the printer name.

Jan 11, 2016 10:52 PM in response to talismanstudio

talismanstudio wrote:

Do you have any other suggestions? I wish Apple would resolve. Everything was working fine until I upgraded to El Capitan.

No I don't. But I don't think Apple will resolve it either as it works - at least with two Mac's that have had clean installations of 10.11.2. In my testing I can print just fine to an El Capitan shared printer via Bonjour to a Canon inkjet.

Mar 24, 2016 2:28 PM in response to PAHU

Hello all of you

I have pretty much the same problem, with some particular details which might maybe help finding a solution.

On my LAN at work, colleagues used to access my 2011 MacPro for various remote services, including printing on my usb-connected shared printer.

A few days ago I upgraded my system from 10.7.5 to 10.11.4 (last update as of this morning), and now some machines on the LAN can't print anymore on my Mac (although local printing still works fine, which tends to rule out driver problems). Specifically, a recent 27-inch Imac with 10.9 still can print as before, while a (more or less) old G5 MacPro with 10.4.11 (last version able to run on PPC machines) sees my printer as "disabled" in application printing dialogs.

A possibly related issue is ssh connections. Once again, although more or less recent machines/system versions can stiil open ssh connections on my Mac, older machines/systems now can't anymore (although all this used to work perfectly fine as long as I had 10.7.5 on my Mac). Specifically, an old 350 MHz G4 PowerMac (possibly 20 years old, I can't remember 😉) with Tiger on it now can access my El Capitan-plagued Mac only after first connecting to the above-mentioned 10.9-Imac, and then from that machine to mine through another ssh connection. After which, X11 connections from X11 clients on my machine to the X11 server on the G4 work fine (I'm talking about plain ssh connections, without the -X switch; the DISPLAY setting and "xhost +" tweaking is done manually afterwards). But the G5 MacPro has no problem opening direct ssh connections to my Mac...

Any ideas ? What puzzles me there is that we are talking about open networking standards (TCP/IP, ssh, IPP, CUPS, X11, whatever) which should not depend on what machine/system is implementing them... or am I naively wrong ? How come an IPP or ssh connection to my Mac can depend on what machine it comes from, and/or on what system version my Mac is running ? And from that respect, why is 10.11 performing worse than 10.7 ? \C:>ONGRATUL.TNS, Apple !

Friendly yours,

Olivier

Apr 12, 2016 1:23 PM in response to CB199

I am also having the same issues. I am not sharing a printer. I am connecting to my printer via IP address over a wireless network. It was working just fine until I updated the OS a couple of weeks ago. Now I get the error message "Unable to connect to '10.60......' due to an error." I am a teacher with 12 new iMacs in my classroom. They are all having the same issue. My MacBook running 10.10.5 still connects to the printer and so do my older iMacs running 10.8.5. This is an Apple issue with the OS. Please fix this!

problems printing to bonjour shared printer on el capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.