Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Godaddy IMAP problems after 10.11.2

after upgrading to OS X 10.11.2 i have a very annoying problem with one of my IMAP accounts that have 5000+ messages in inbox and sent items.

Mail app re-download messages (can't say after exactly how often,but a few times per day) for one of my e-mail IMAP accounts(hosted by godaddy).I mean Mail app delete and then re-download messages.Also strange thing that total number of mails in inbox/sent items is different from webmail (20-30 less).Last mail in my webmail dates 2011 and in Mail app the oldest one dated 2013.

SAME PROBLEM ON TWO MACS!!

Other mail accounts(less than 5000 mails) have difference in messages amount with webmail ,but there is now re-download issue with them.

Zoho,icloud accounts work flawless include same similar number of messages in webmail and Mail app.

ipad/iphone - have no such ssue

Mailbox rebuild,deleting MAIL folder and com.apple.mail.plist have no effect

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), null

Posted on Dec 24, 2015 4:26 PM

34 replies

Dec 29, 2015 4:33 PM in response to Kirill B.

Same problem here, but I thought it was related to my manual migration. Just opened a thread about it: Mail (El Capitan) Godaddy IMAP problem after manual migration: STUMPED!

I also have Godaddy IMAP and the problematic account is the largest one so maybe the number of messages is the problem? Although I'm sorry to hear others are having the same problem, it would be nice if this wasn't related to my manual migration so I don't have to try the clean install.

Dec 29, 2015 4:51 PM in response to omnitarian

I Spent an hour on the phone with GoDaddy yesterday and they thought it was akin to my having so many emails on the server. I archived most of the, and they told me it should help the problem within 24 hours. It's 24 hours later and I still have the problem. Apple says it's a GoDaddy server issue and GoDaddy says it is an email client issue. I don't even know what to do anymore. Help! Anyone?

Dec 29, 2015 7:01 PM in response to Kirill B.

For anyone who's experiencing this, can you check if you are on v10.11.2 build 15C50? (that's what I'm on)

To check which build of El Capitan you have, go to Apple Menu > About This Mac and click where it says "Version 10.11.2". It will display the build in parentheses next to the OS.

Two Apple techs have told me that there are lots of problems with Mail in El Capitan especially with Godaddy. I was told my logs were sent to the engineers which means Apple doesn't actually have a solution... they are working on a bug fix for the next update.

So now I'm basically sitting here waiting for 10.11.3 (or a new build) and hoping it has the fix!

Dec 30, 2015 6:27 AM in response to omnitarian

@omnotarian - I got the report back from the engineers and they are saying that its a compatibility issue. GoDaffy agrees. I am trying to get them to talk to each other and they won't. I understand bugs happen but for gods sake let the engineers talk to each other and solve the problem!

The Apple tech I spoke to suggested that I move to the 365 email option with GoDaffy and the tech at GoDaddy said that he is a Mac user and uses the 365 without issue so this seems to be a problem with just the default email with GoDaddy. I am not willing to take my 4 emails off the plan I am on to test the waters on a new platform unless someone tells me it will solve the issues. All I am getting from both sides is a lot of probably’s, should’s, can’s, and might’s but no yes's.

As of reading this thread I am now officially shopping email services. I went through this with Mavericks and now with El Capitain. GoDaffay ignores Mac users and Apple is in no hurry to make things compliant with standard server configurations. I like all my sh*t working together and I don't want to run Outlook for one thing and Mail for another.

BTW - All other servers work with Mail, Exchange, gmail, Comcast, etc. Just not GoDaffy. However, GoDaffy works with all other clients including Outlook, just not Mail.

Jan 6, 2016 9:37 AM in response to Kirill B.

Hey Folks!

So, this is what I have found over the past couple of days- if you logon to GoDaddy Webmail/Workspace and archive all of your email that you don't need, give it 24 hours + it seems to stop. I did that a few days ago, archived my email by month in sub archive folders and then it has seemed to stop or at least I have not had the issue for a few days. It seems this is happening when you have large amounts of email on the server. I had upwards of 11K emails so once I took the time to organize and archive through 2015 it seemed to fix itself over the past few days. I hope this helps and not sure if others have tried this yet or if you have whether or not it is working 🙂

Jan 6, 2016 9:53 AM in response to drkellih

Glad it worked for you, but unfortunately I tried that one already. I learned a couple of years ago that GoDaddy's "unlimited" iMap email truly wasn't unlimited. Their tech support finally told me that 20,000 emails was pretty much the limit. This time when I was having issues I deleted a bunch of emails thinking this would solve the problem again. No such luck. And my Mac Pro at home running Yosemite has no issues with GoDaddy iMap email. My Macbook Pro here at work running El Capitan has horrible problems with Mac Mail and GoDaddy iMap.

Jan 6, 2016 9:56 AM in response to drkellih

Good luck. I was able to get both Apple and GoDaddy to admit the issue is incompatibility between the two. Neither will say who is not writing the program well but I will bet on GoDaddy and the reason is simple. The issue is with their legacy services not the new exchange servers that they just spent millions on. They are trying to let the old system die via attrition.

I have had less than 20 emails in my inbox and the issue still happens. The solution is simple. Go to another email provider for email or get GoDaffy's 365 mail. Now I will say that I went with the 365 mail this past Sunday evening and I am still waiting for it to get setup properly. Then again, I supposedly got an email at the same time I got a notice about this post... Yep. Set up. Now to see if it actually works...

BTW - I went with 365 mail for phone support. Gmail, my second choice, is hard to get telephone support.

Jan 12, 2016 4:44 AM in response to Brightman Music

I looked at switching to either gmail or GoDaffy's Outlook 365. I went with GoDaffy because I like having a tech support that I call not one that calls me back like Google does. I have been on 365 mail for just under a week now and I have not had a single issue since switching to an exchange server. This boils it down to GoDaddy phasing out the Workspace Email and not being willing to make it work. It also fits with their new model of going 100% Microsoft. Now if they would just be willing to admit that it would save everyone reading this thread a sh*t ton of headaches.

Moral of the story is this. Go with an Exchange server and no matter who you go with it fixes the issue.

Godaddy IMAP problems after 10.11.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.