Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad suddenly stops working

Sometimes after my Macbook Pro goes to sleep, the trackpad will no longer work. It won't even make the clicking action when pressed down. Since I cannot figure out how to make it work again, I am forced to hold down the power button to turn off the computer (which I'm guessing is not good for it). When I turn it back on, trackpad works as though there were never an issue.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Jan 2, 2016 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2018 7:53 PM

If you have one of the newest (2016/2017/touchbar) Macbook Pros, that really cannot be the issue - at least not technically. The trackpads do not physically move at all - they dont physically ‘click’ (e.g. move up and down) - the ‘click’ you feel is a haptic feedback engine that is software controlled. So - bottom line - debris ‘trapped under’ the trackpad couldn’t prevent clicking or movement because there is no clicking or movement. This has happened to mine a couple of times (twice to be exact) in the last 8-9 months as well. A reboot resolved it for me as well - but I’d really like to know what is causing it and if there’s a way to fix it without rebooting.

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2018 7:53 PM in response to Geobees

If you have one of the newest (2016/2017/touchbar) Macbook Pros, that really cannot be the issue - at least not technically. The trackpads do not physically move at all - they dont physically ‘click’ (e.g. move up and down) - the ‘click’ you feel is a haptic feedback engine that is software controlled. So - bottom line - debris ‘trapped under’ the trackpad couldn’t prevent clicking or movement because there is no clicking or movement. This has happened to mine a couple of times (twice to be exact) in the last 8-9 months as well. A reboot resolved it for me as well - but I’d really like to know what is causing it and if there’s a way to fix it without rebooting.

Jan 2, 2016 10:49 AM in response to MrHoffman

The computer wakes up just fine, but once it's awake, the trackpad won't work. The keys work just fine, but I cannot use the trackpad to navigate around. Pressing CTRL + ALT + DELETE does absolutely nothing, nor does any other key combination - in terms of solving the issue, or restarting the computer. I don't know what keys to press so that the menu will come up and allow me to select whether to restart, shut down, etc.

Jan 20, 2018 10:51 PM in response to manthe

I guess it’s worth mentioning that this thread is related to Mountain Lion, but I’m obviously using Sierra onwards.

I think this started happening with High Sierra, it is quite rare but extremely annoying when it happens. I don’t know a keyboard shortcut to rebooting the MacBook, so I have to force shutdown via the power button

Feb 21, 2017 12:38 PM in response to Cocolocoi5

Hi there,

I have a macbook here with the very same spec as yours Cocolocoi5 (except the processor is 2.9ghz) but im on Sierra with the latest 10.12.3 update. Waking from sleep mode when i open the lid the screen comes on but both the trackpad and keyboard will not work, however if i use an external mouse/keyboard and it will respond so i can log in. its happening right now and i've disabled bluetooth as i read on another thread it can sometimes interfere, still not working.

I know if i restart it will probably work again do but id like it to work from sleep state. i had tried SMC and NVRAM before but issues still persists, also safe boot just yesterday. i am going to try an Apple hardware test to see if anything comes up if nothing there im thinking it might be an OS reinstall.

any other suggestions peeps?

thanks in advance🙂

Eddie

Feb 22, 2017 3:29 PM in response to iQeddie90

I'll assume internal trackpad and keyboard here, and additional tests with an external wired keyboard, and you do mention having disabled Bluetooth and tried a safe-mode boot, and also having reset the NVRAM and SMC. I'll assume there's no gunk gotten into the keyboard and trackpad, too.

I've seen some external third-party USB widgets mess up keyboard input and mess up the USB bus; with a document scanner, most recently. And a MacBook with a bad keyboard, and another with a blown USB bus connection.

Remove all external devices and try your test again. USB and hubs, and anything and everything else connected externally.

Also test if the same symptoms show with a boot from an external macOS installation; from macOS installed on some external storage.

Installing macOS over the top of itself is usually safe and not disruptive, but do have a backup or three before attempting.

If the above fails, this MacBook is probably headed for a trip into the local Apple Genius bar or to your preferred provider for a look at the hardware, too.

Dec 18, 2017 8:55 AM in response to Cocolocoi5

Did you find a solution? The clicking and function of mine stops working when the battery is being charged at a high rate (i.e. it is significantly discharged). On a previous macbook pro the solution was to replace the battery - which was swelling quite alarmingly - so I hope to be able to do the same on this machine. However, it looks like the battery is glued into the case, so before I embark on that fix I would like to know if anyone else has had success in curing the problem.

Dec 18, 2017 9:35 AM in response to jc193

jc193 wrote:

Did you find a solution? The clicking and function of mine stops working when the battery is being charged at a high rate (i.e. it is significantly discharged). On a previous macbook pro the solution was to replace the battery - which was swelling quite alarmingly - so I hope to be able to do the same on this machine. However, it looks like the battery is glued into the case, so before I embark on that fix I would like to know if anyone else has had success in curing the problem.

Seems a trip into the genius bar is in your future, given what you've reported. They can have a look, and can let you know what the costs and options here and what the warranty status might be here.

Had battery on an older MBP expand and crack off and warp other parts of the battery access mechanisms, so some cases can result in damage beyond the battery itself.

Jan 19, 2018 2:17 PM in response to umangp

umangp wrote:

I can agree to have the same problem on my MacBook Pro 15 with Touch Bar.

The trackpad can be used to wake the MacBook, but sometimes it doesn’t work. And when awoken using a keyboard key, the trackpad continues to not tap or provide the haptic press feedback

Boot into Safe Mode to test, and (if that shows the same problem) a trip in for service.

Trackpad suddenly stops working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.