Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Artist/Album, etc. ID tags missing

iTunes seems to be ignoring the ID tags on songs and in many cases actually deleting the information from the files. For example, the snip below shows what's in iTunes, Windows Explorer, and the details of the file. In other cases, the details have been completely stripped out, which will force me to research and recreate the data. In some cases, albums have been split while importing so that some of the songs are placed correctly - \iTunes Media\Music\Composer\Album\, while other songs from the album end up in \...\Unknown Album\Unknown Artist\ I know this is a documented problem and have spent hours scouring this forum as well as other, non-Apple forums for a good solution. What I don't have is a consistent, reliable, and quick/easy way of correcting this issue and preventing it from happening going forward. 1000's of song are affected by this and I am not looking forward to spending hours trying to correct the problem. Apple - It doesn't look like you have a) fixed the issue or b) come up with a solution for correcting the data in files iTunes has either ignored or damaged. Is there a resolution and if so, could you please make it apparent to me and the other users who are experiencing this isse?

User uploaded file

Posted on Jan 3, 2016 8:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2016 12:03 PM

My guess is that the problem files will be in mp3 format and have multiple tags that are not fully synced with each other, and some internal change to iTunes is making iTunes read data from an incomplete version. You may need to use a third party tag editor to sync the data or better yet distil it into one tag that has all the information. For best results each file should have a single ID3v2.3 tag.

An alternative approach would be to use the right-click context menu in iTunes to Convert ID3 Tags... > None a few times to remove all existing tags and then Convert ID3 Tags... > v2.3 to build a fresh tag with the information still held in the iTunes database, you would then close, temporarily rename the iTunes Media folder, use the shift-start-iTunes method to open a recent version of your library in the Previous iTunes Libraries folder that has the data that you want to recover, use a script called ExportImport to export the necessary information, close iTunes. restore the original name of the iTunes Media folder, shift-start-iTunes to reconnect to the original library, then import the exported data.

tt2

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2016 12:03 PM in response to vielle

My guess is that the problem files will be in mp3 format and have multiple tags that are not fully synced with each other, and some internal change to iTunes is making iTunes read data from an incomplete version. You may need to use a third party tag editor to sync the data or better yet distil it into one tag that has all the information. For best results each file should have a single ID3v2.3 tag.

An alternative approach would be to use the right-click context menu in iTunes to Convert ID3 Tags... > None a few times to remove all existing tags and then Convert ID3 Tags... > v2.3 to build a fresh tag with the information still held in the iTunes database, you would then close, temporarily rename the iTunes Media folder, use the shift-start-iTunes method to open a recent version of your library in the Previous iTunes Libraries folder that has the data that you want to recover, use a script called ExportImport to export the necessary information, close iTunes. restore the original name of the iTunes Media folder, shift-start-iTunes to reconnect to the original library, then import the exported data.

tt2

Jan 18, 2016 8:55 AM in response to turingtest2

Yeah, well.. so download MusicBrainz, ID3 Editor, etc.drag a bunch of files into them and hope for the best. MusicBrainz offers up many different album options for the same song. Now which album did that come from 6 years ago? Dunno, I'll guess and hope I choose the right one... Understand, iTunes left me with literally 100's of MP3s with absolutely NO metadata; only the file name. Example - Eric Clapton - four different versions of "After Midnight" (ok - I'm showing my age, another issue...) but no indication as to which album each one belongs to. Then there are all of the MP3s that I ripped from vinyl using EZVinyl and a turntable. After laboriously entering the metadata manually years ago, I need to go back and reenter manually. I don't have time for this and in many cases I no longer have the original vinyl to read the discography from. In fact, at this point, I'm not even sure what the album was (see above). "Allegro.mp3" does me no good whatsoever in terms of identifying the content.

So now for the rant - Apple - you performed an upgrade to iTunes that hosed my collection (and, as far as I can tell, the collections of many other users). What are you going to do about it to make things right? Please don't offer up labor intensive fixes that none of us have the time for and doesn't really solve the problem in any case!

Jan 18, 2016 10:22 AM in response to vielle

In case it isn't clear this is a user to user support forum. Apple aren't going to read your rant. Use iTunes Feedback.

Perhaps I misunderstood your original post. I read it as saying that the data used be there in iTunes, but isn't any more. To the best of my knowledge iTunes doesn't have any features for independently correcting metadata, but there are occasions when it can reveal changes that have been made externally. As given iTunes works best with mp3 files that have a single ID3v2.3 tag. If you are importing files that have had tags written by other software there may be multiple tags which are not necessarily in sync with each other. Mp3tag is a good tool for tag cleaning. If the you're adding new files into iTunes that are set out in a standard <Artist>\<Album>\## <Name>.<Ext> layout then I have another script called TagFromFilename that can read in details from the path if the tags aren't completed correctly. You need to make sure that iTunes isn't going to copy or rename the files before you add them to the library by turning off the options to Keep... and Copy... if you want to make use of this method.

Each item in your iTunes library has a unique identifier. The aim of the process I outlined above is to access an older version of your database that has the correct information, rename the media folder so that iTunes cannot read the current versions of the metadata stored in the corrupt file, read the old versions of the fields that have been corrupted and write them out to a text file along with the unique ID of each track. After this you reconnect to the current library, restore the media folder name, and the script reads back the data applying it to each track in turn. Depending on the size of your library and the tweaks that need to be made to the script it is probably in the order of 15-20 minutes work to recover the lost data, as long as it exists in an older version of the library file in your Previous iTunes Libraries folder.

There is a section in the Action subroutine that begins like this:

' Comment out details you want to omit, remove the quote to include

WriteLine "<Location>" & .Location ' Not so useful if working with missing tracks

WriteLine "<Name>" & .Name

WriteLine "<SortName>" & SortValue(.Name,.SortName)

You can comment out any field that you don't need exporting by adding a leading single quote mark to the line.

If you want more details or a step by step guide, feel free to ask.

This is the original thread that led to the script if you are interested.

See also Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy.

tt2

Jan 18, 2016 1:20 PM in response to turingtest2

First of all - apologies for venting in the wrong forum. I'll redirect that elsewhere.

Getting back to the matter at hand, the problem is that there is no former iTunes data that I can rely on given that this has apparently been going on since several updates back and I was unaware of the situation until recently (Christmas, to be exact when I tried to pull up my wife's favorite album and it was missing.) I started searching around and finally found it in a folder ..\itunes\music\unknown artist\unknown album... along with 100's of other files. As I said before, there is no attached metadata for any of these files. Right click on one of them, Properties, Details and there's nothing there other than the file name. Using ID3 Editor or any other tag editor reveals no metadata either. When I go into iTunes, there is a very long list of Song Names like "01-Jingle Bells", 01-After Midnight", etc., obviously just the file name as the song title. On the other hand, much of the library is fine, so it's not a case of everything being messed up, only about 25% of a very large library. I'll try to follow your instructions above and let you know what happens.

Thanks for your help!

Jan 18, 2016 1:53 PM in response to vielle

You're welcome.

When iTunes imports files that don't have a valid tag (some mp3/aac files and all .wav files) its uses the filename as the track name complete with any leading track and disc number that might be there and sets album and artist to blank. It stores such items in the Unknown Artist/Unknown Album folder.

I wonder if it is possible that the tracks were never tagged, or had their tags cleaned at some point, and something prompted iTunes to reread them. 😕

tt2

Jan 20, 2016 11:47 AM in response to vielle

Was there some incident where all of your media was imported into a new library, as opposed to the data that was in the (then) current library being corrupted? Select one track you can identify that is in the active and old version of your library. Export the information from one version, rename the exported file (I should really time stamp these) then export the other. Compare the IDs. If they are not the same then that probably explains what happened, a mix of metadata that wasn't correctly embedded followed by some crash which involved the library being rebuilt.

tt2

Jan 29, 2016 2:08 PM in response to turingtest2

So the situation becomes even more bizarre. As I continue to sort through the mess, I am discovering dozens of songs and albums that I've never heard of, in some cases by artists I've never heard of. Anne Murray? Really? Some guy named Armik? Al Greene? I am quite sure that my son did not load Anne Murray into the library. Or Amy Grant for that matter... Where did all of this Flamenco music come from? Same for all of the New Age music?

I did check the iTunes library credentials and account - yep, it's mine. Is it possible that Apple somehow linked my account with someone else's and we are now sharing our libraries? Is there someone out there that is horrified to see all of this Bach and Vivaldi showing up in their library?

Jan 30, 2016 3:20 PM in response to turingtest2

No - Let me clarify. I am experiencing three issues:

1) Songs in iTunes that previously were imported from either CDs or from the iTunes store are missing all metadata now, causing them to show up in iTunes in one long list of songs like the attached graphic,

2) There are many, many songs in iTunes that I know I didn't put there - a bunch of stuff by Al Green, for instance. I have no idea where these came from but they're not mine,

3) Related to #1 above, if I try to import songs or complete folders from a different saved/backup location (using "Automatically Add to iTunes" or, "Add Folder", or "Add File"), the metadata gets stripped out in the process and it ends up in an "Unknown" folder. User uploaded file

Jan 30, 2016 4:25 PM in response to vielle

1. The image is typical of the results of importing files that are untagged into iTunes. Often this will be files in .wav format but tags can be stripped from .mp3 or .acc files too. See Any software that can rebuild iTunes songs lost to Unknown Artist/ Unknown Album for a thread where I tacked a similar problem in the past. What I cannot see in that image is the file type, but I cannot think of any obvious mechanism for deleting that data, particularly from store purchases which, doesn't involve some kind of user error.
  2. You haven't answered the question about iTunes Match. I know there are some people that like to discard say album and track number data, but they generally keep at least the Artist name as well as the track Name, so again all the obvious signs lead to missing tags, rather than randomly modified tags. On the other hand some kind of iTunes Match fail might explain how you have media that you didn't actively select. Again you would still have to make some effort to actively download the content since iTunes doesn't automatically download the iTunes Match library.
  3. Again, this looks like untagged media, iTunes picks the filename and uses it for the Name. Any other information that might be there in the filepath is ignored.

My original suggestion to you was based on the idea that the media was in your library, and the metadata had been corrupted, in which case I would have expected the current and older versions of your library to contain the same set of unique track identifiers which would have let that method work. If you have a new library made with the same set of media files all of the identifiers will be different. The FindTracks script in the post I mention above may work for you if the media files are those that were referenced by an older version of your iTunes database file. We're still no closer to working out how or why you have media in your library that you don't recognise.

tt2

Jan 31, 2016 7:02 AM in response to turingtest2

1. All are MP3 files. I'll take a look at the link you provided. Thanks.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

2. Sorry - missed that. No, I am not using Match

3. As far as "Untagged Media" - as a test, I very carefully selected an album from a backup location that, when I checked the properties in Windows, showed all of the tag information, i.e., Artist, Album, title, year, genre, etc., imported it into iTunes and checked again - all of that data was gone except the file name. Then again, just to add a wrinkle, I tried the same thing with another set of songs that had all of the tag data, and when I brought it into iTunes, it went to "Unknown" and in iTunes displayed the file name as the song name - "01 Song Title" - and the artist name, but nothing else. However, when I right click on the song in iTunes and select "Info", all of the information is there.

Jan 31, 2016 12:19 PM in response to turingtest2

Well, I appreciate all of the time and thought you've put into trying to resolve this but I think it's coming down to a massive manual effort to clean this up. I've tried a variety of tools - MusicMonkey, MusicBrainz, etc. with varying results. They are helpful but not the silver bullet I was hoping for. I think I can figure out most of the data on most of the songs, the rest I'll just peck away at a little at a time. Again, thanks for your help.

Artist/Album, etc. ID tags missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.