Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tired of El Capitan Font Issues

I'm tired of El Capitan font issues!

I have removed all but the System Installed Fonts, yet there are constant font conflicts and the display of gibberish characters.

Apple's font management application will not do a comparison of ALL fonts residing on my computer, so fonts that I use for my design work cannot be analyzed alongside the newly installed system fonts.

Again, people at Apple are deciding things that should be the decision of their users, and imposing their judgement and design esthetics on the people who pay for their products.

User uploaded file

Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), iPad, iPhone and iOS 9.1

Posted on Jan 7, 2016 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2016 8:56 PM

Have you had a look at

http://www.jklstudios.com/misc/osxfonts.html

34 replies

Jan 8, 2016 12:46 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hi Tom,

This bit:-

Apple Gothic

If the font AppleGothic.dfont is not installed, the following problems occur:

a) You will find that the Adobe CS line of applications will not install in Leopard or Tiger (the CS2 and later applications do not appear to be affected). When trying to install them, you only get as far as entering your administrative password, and choosing your language. The installer then quits. The CS applications run fine once installed. It is only the installers themselves that are affected by the absence of AppleGothic.dfont.

b) The retail version of OS X Tiger itself has an issue if AppleGothic.dfont is not available. When the DVD is inserted, the disk begins to automatically open, but the Finder then closes the DVD file window and resets before even seeing the contents.

c) In Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac OS X, previous to version 11.2, PowerPoint will complain that four of the Asian fonts are missing if you are using the short list of fonts mentioned in section one. One error message for each of the four fonts that you need to dismiss. It doesn't effect the operations of PowerPoint, just an annoyance that it insists on telling you that fonts you don't need (as an English speaking user) are missing. You can eliminate this problem by updating to 11.2.x (11.2.1 being current at the time of writing). If you have already attempted to run PowerPoint after updating to 11.2.x without AppleGothic.dfont active, then you have already discovered that PowerPoint crashes after clicking the Open button at the Project Gallery. To fix this problem, activate AppleGothic.dfont. Run PowerPoint again. This time, after clicking Open in the Project Gallery, you will get a message that certain Asian fonts are missing. Turn on the check box at the lower left to tell PowerPoint to never check for those fonts. PowerPoint will thereafter start without errors, or display any messages about missing fonts. Such issues have been eliminated in Office 2008 and 2011. All of its applications will open without any error messages.

Apple Gothic isn't needed often, but given its importance to viewing and using installation disks and its effect on earlier versions of Microsoft Office, it is advised to have it enabled at all times.

Also needs to reflect that Messages will not run without it.

Messages is present from OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) onwards.

The app can fail to Launch.

I mention it as the Original Posts seems to show the bottom of the Messages chat window.

I am not sure though what the Apple Spell drop down uses which seems to be the issue.

User uploaded file

8:46 pm Friday; January 8, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Jan 8, 2016 2:28 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom,

I really appreciate your response and kind inclusion of the link.

However, I don't have the time to read this article, and it does not cover the entire list of fonts installed in SYSTEM/LIBRARY/FONTS. Nor can I divert my time from work for clients to correct problems cased by Apple's arrogance in not providing a way to deal with proper font management. I use Asian fonts, yet the article really does not address the placement of Asian fonts in the various folders of the El Capitan system.

The real question is:

Is there an application or utility to scan the various font depositories throughout Mac OS X El Capitan and ensure that the correct fonts are installed in the correct places.

I must say that I have been frustrated by font problems since upgrading to El Capitan and my iOS devices no longer sync to my computer so I cannot upgrade to newer models of my iOS devices. If Apple wants to make these kinds of systemic changes they should also provide the utilities to deal with the chaos caused by their decisions.

Jan 8, 2016 2:53 PM in response to BinsuJiro

BinsuJiro wrote:

I use Asian fonts, yet the article really does not address the placement of Asian fonts in the various folders of the El Capitan system.

The real question is:

Is there an application or utility to scan the various font depositories throughout Mac OS X El Capitan and ensure that the correct fonts are installed in the correct places.

I don't understand your concern about "correct places". As far as Apple apps are involved, regardless of the language, fonts can be in system/library/fonts, library/fonts, or user/library/fonts. As long as you do not remove the fonts installed by OS X in the first two places, everything should work ok. user/library/fonts is normally empty, and that is where the user would normally install his own fonts not supplied by Apple.

To access user/library/fonts, you need to hold the option key down while doing Finder > Go.

Fontbook > File > Restore Standard Fonts sometimes fixes problems caused by non-apple fonts, while a Safe Boot often fixes problems caused by corrupt font caches.

Are you using Adobe or Microsoft apps? I think they may sometimes have their own locations for fonts.

These are user/user help forums. I don't know of any better resource than the jklstudios link, it represents years of experience by one of the most expert forum volunteers. If you want to suggest improvements to Apple, the place to do that is at

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Jan 8, 2016 3:05 PM in response to BinsuJiro

The main point of the article is what the minimum fonts are you need in a given version of OS X. So no, it does not cover all of the OS X included fonts.

Personally, I am having no issues at all with fonts in El Capitan. However!, there is a known bug. And that is:

You cannot put Type 1 PostScript or older legacy Mac TrueType fonts into the root /Library/Fonts/ folder, or activate them in place with any font manager. If you do, they may, or may not appear in all, or any apps. They must be either placed directly into the Fonts folder of your user account (which is where Font Book will copy fonts to automatically when added in the default manner), or they must be added to your third party font manager's physical cache of activated fonts. For instance in Suitcase, that means adding them to the Vault, not activated in place. OpenType fonts do not have this problem.

No, there is no such software. If you want the system put back to the default fonts only installed by OS X, open Font Book and run the menu command, Restore Standard Fonts. This will move all third party fonts out of the System and root Library Fonts folders to a new folder which will be created next to each Fonts folder. If you have removed any OS X fonts that also exist in the hidden Recovery partition, those will be copied back to their normal locations. Any others will not come back without reinstalling them.

The command does nothing to your user account Fonts folder. So the last thing to do there is to move all fonts out of your user account Fonts folder to the desktop, or some other location where the OS will not see them. That is, not in any of the three working Fonts folders (System, root Library, the logged in user account).

Close all applications. In the Preferences folder of your account, put the file com.apple.FontRegistry in the trash and restart. That file is Font Book's database. Removing it and restarting will clear any possible issues with a corrupt Font Book database, which tends to be easily damaged.

Lastly, clear all font cache files from the system. Close all running applications. From an administrator account, open the Terminal app and enter the following command. You can also copy/paste it from here into the Terminal window:

sudo atsutil databases -remove

Terminal will then ask for your admin password. As you type, it will not show anything, so be sure to enter it correctly.

This command removes all font cache files. Both for the system and the current logged in user account. After running the command, close Terminal and immediately restart your Mac.

Barring any issues with the OS itself, or damaged fonts, this will clear up all font issues and thing should work as they're supposed to.

Jan 8, 2016 4:54 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Kurt,

I will try this as soon as I digest your instructions and have a free moment.

I manage my user fonts with Monotype's FontExplorer X Pro, and I am running the latest version updated for El Capitan. I have a partitioned disk with all NONE Apple fonts located on a separate partition.

[I partition because it has "saved my bacon" a number of times when my root partition was trashed by Adobe Photoshop writing scratch files to inappropriate places.]

Thank you very much for this detailed set of instructions. I'll let everyone know how this works when I try it, but it will be a couple of days from now. I'll be in the field on an environmental investigation over the next couple of days.

Best regards,

Vincent

Jan 8, 2016 5:10 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

My concern about locations was based on my concern for the existence of conflicts with my existing font collection located on a partition of the drive, and my desire to know exactly what should be where and why, and what shouldn't be in certain places.

My philosophy is that,I need to know and understand these things in order to properly manage my system.

I do use Adobe applications, but would never install anything from Microsoft on any machine that I own.

You wrote: Fontbook > File > Restore Standard Fonts sometimes fixes problems caused by non-apple fonts, while a Safe Boot often fixes problems caused by corrupt font caches.

But, I have tried that a number of times and still have font issues and in particular the issue illustrated in my screen shot which is the Apple correct spelling for, in this case, a deliberately misspelled word.

I have been working with these issues, but when one issue exists, it usually leads to other issues, and those issues usually get worse.

Thank you for responding and for your concern.

Best regards,

Vincent

Jan 8, 2016 5:42 PM in response to BinsuJiro

BinsuJiro wrote:

the issue illustrated in my screen shot

What app is that exactly? Seeing something like that is not so uncommon, although usually the symbols will have an A in them instead of a ? sign.

Hopefullly following Kurt's instructions regarding the fontregistry and cache cleaning will fix it.

I try to follow language issues in the forums: Have you run into any problems in El Capitan relating specifically to CJK fonts?

Jan 9, 2016 5:23 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom,

The screen shot illustrates the response to a deliberately misspelled word in Notes, but is a common occurrence in all of the Apple applications when a word is misspelled and the app makes a suggestion for the correct spelling. Usually, I just allow the correction to be made even though I don't see the letters.

Other problems pop up, i.e. when Notes opens and I start typing, I get those same characters, and must invoke Command-T to get the typography window. I usually find a Helvetica font highlighted when the window opens, and I can then chose my preferred font which when it become active via my selection will render properly. This happens in Mail also, but manifests in a slightly different way, i.e. fonts listed in the drop down menu are not available, and fonts designated in my predefined signatures are rendered in a different font.

Font management went crazy after the upgrade to El Capitan.

If I had the original set of El Capitan installed fonts which would include all of the fonts that would be installed by El Capitan in all of the correct places, and the font caches were cleared, I could possibly start up in Target Disk Mode, delete what is in the folders now and hand install them in the correct locations.

Does this sound feasible?

In some of my messages you might have noticed some frustration and impatience with Apple. That started with Yosemite which destroyed my system by quitting during the installation. It caused me to spend a sum of money to get additional drives install a clean Yosemite on an attached drive, delete my system on my original drive, reinstall Yosemite from the attached drive and rebuild all of my critical databases. El Capitan installed great, but then I couldn't backup my high capacity iOS devices [128GB] and these font issues surfaced.

The Yosemite issue cost me money and days of time spend unproductively getting back to where I was before the installation, and it was doubly annoying because I had taken the precaution of installing Yosemite on an attached drive to test it. Having done that and having found no issues, I waited until the published initial bugs were dealt with and attempted the installation on my system. What a mess!

Jan 9, 2016 8:58 AM in response to BinsuJiro

I manage my user fonts with Linotype's FontExplorer X Pro, and I am running the latest version updated for El Capitan.

Very nice font manager. If I weren't already a long time Suitcase user (which I still prefer anyway), I'd be using that one.

That brings up a major point, though. Since you're use FEX, Font Book should never, ever be used. Not even launched. Once you do, it creates the file com.apple.FontRegistry. As soon as that happens, OS X will read it and try to maintain which fonts that database says are enabled or disabled whether you're using Font Book or not. Once you delete that preference file, you must never launch Font Book again. It's why in my article I strongly suggest deleting Font Book from the Applications folder if you're using a different font manager.

I have a partitioned disk with all NON Apple fonts located on a separate partition.

Same here. The only fonts on my startup drive are the minimal sets. Everything else gets activated from wherever they are. I occasionally see some members respond to user questions of, 'Should I partition my drive?' with a resounding, 'No, there is no reason to do that on the Mac.'

Really? Why not. I have all kinds of partitions for very specific and necessary reasons.

Jan 9, 2016 3:30 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Kurt,

I ran "Restore Standard Fonts" several times and most of the font anomalies have disappeared.

The root Font Folder [System/Library/Fonts now contains the following:

User uploaded file

Also, 214 items now reside in Library/Fonts and all of the remaining fonts have been moved to a folder on my Desktop.

Now I want to remove the file that you referenced, com.apple.FontRegistry, but found several similarly named files/folders:

User uploaded file

Should I remove all of these or one in particular?

After this I will move Font Book to a safe place on a remote drive in case I need it later, and rely on FontExplorerX Pro for font management. I will then create a set in FEX Pro that matches what is in the root fond folder, which is more than just the basic fonts that you described in your detailed article.

Hopefully FEX Pro will be able to use the set that I create to restore what exists now if it gets messed up again.

Does this sound like a good plan to you?

Thanks

Tired of El Capitan Font Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.