Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX 10.2.2 - Radial Blur?

Final Cut Express had a video effect called Radial Blur where you could adjust the angle and steps of the blur.

It seems this version of the Radial Blur doesn't exist in Final Cut Pro X (ver 10.2.2).

Does anyone know if there is a way to recreate this Radial Blur effect through Final Cut Pro X? Or is there a similar plug in available somewhere for free?

Thank you.

Final Cut Pro X, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Jan 8, 2016 11:18 PM

21 replies

Jan 14, 2016 10:25 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

In FCPX, I do not see the option to adjust the Angle and Steps of the radial blur. Angle and Steps are what is missing.

See the "Blur: Radial" section on this page for an example of the Final Cut Express - Radial Blur options.
http://www.chv-plugins.com/cms/Fx-Script/EnhancedEssentials-collection/EnhancedE ssentials-collection.php5?navanchor=1010046

I'm trying to find out if there something in FCPX or Motion5 which provides a similar effect.

Jan 15, 2016 7:42 PM in response to christine548

christine548 wrote:

In FCPX, I do not see the option to adjust the Angle and Steps of the radial blur. Angle and Steps are what is missing.

See the "Blur: Radial" section on this page for an example of the Final Cut Express - Radial Blur options.
http://www.chv-plugins.com/cms/Fx-Script/EnhancedEssentials-collection/EnhancedE ssentials-collection.php5?navanchor=1010046

ahhh, here we go - 3rd party product.

No, that's wasn't part of FC/e 'natively' ...

as far as I understand CHVs description....

Radial Blur creates multiple shots of a rotating camera. You can define the rotation angle, the number of repetitions and the center of the rotation.

The borders can also be cut off with this filter to avoid unwanted black borders.

… you could try re-enacting that in Motion, apply a spin behaviour and an 'echo' effect… comes to my mind.

Jan 15, 2016 7:37 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Yeah, it has been too long since FCExpress for me too! I think I must have actually used the CHV plugins. That's the only thing that makes sense. Which is funny because after I shared that link listed above, it all started to look familiar. I guess I just need to talk it out! I'll have to contact CHV and see if they created this plug-in for FCPX, or try and recreate it somehow.

Thank you for letting me know it's not in Motion 5 (I don't have Motion).

Jan 16, 2016 7:20 PM in response to christine548

christine548 wrote:

Thank you for letting me know it's not in Motion 5 (I don't have Motion).

no prob - one of the best features of FCPX in combo with M5 is, it allows sharing of plug-in.

I own M5, and you can use plugins I'm making, have a look at

Free FCPX Plugins and Templates

I'm publishing my stuff there frequenly ...

so, here's my rebuilt:

User uploaded file

that's slammed together, controls similiar to CHVs, one thing is missing, the free position of the blur center.... that needs some grey matter <scratching head>

I can upload that… installation of 3rd party plugis is a nobrainer....

tell if you want it ....

Jan 16, 2016 7:35 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Wow! That looks pretty good. I would love to download/install your radial blur plugin! And it sounds like you adjusted it so it comes with the control to set the position of the blur, correct? If not, not a big deal.

If I could download it, could you please direct me where to find it on FCP.co?

I bet that was a fun project for you! Looks like something I would have enjoyed tinkering with too. Can you make your own plugins in FCPX or do you need M5 to do that?

Jan 17, 2016 12:51 AM in response to christine548

hi c.

you'll find my re-enactment here

http://www.fcp.co/forum/film-looks-effects/24773-radial-blur-re-enacted#72281

I axed the set-center control… it behaved erratic, couldn't fix that… beyond my skills (hobbyist speaking here)

Can you make your own plugins in FCPX or do you need M5 to do that?

In FCPX alone, you are allowed to save your own pre-sets for some effects, e.g. color corrections/'looks'.

But to create you're very own 'new' effects, you have to invest 50 bucks in M5 … and tons of grey-matter to learn it 😉 (I recommend the tutorials from rippletraining.com)

What fascinates me most: you can share those homebrewn effects with a click. It starts with modifying existing FCPX effects, and finally ends with highly complex, completely new features.

ok, the really Big Toys ask for being a developer/engineer, and using an Apple SDK for fxPlugis - stuff like coremelts tracker products or Denver Riddles famous Color Finale are NOT done with Motion.....

But >90% of the plug.ins in the depository at fcp.co are made with Motion........ some are silly simple (my first shared one, 'Offline', is basically a yellow line....), some offer superb ideas.-

You can spend hours in diggin' this lists, and spend years of your life creating ones..... 😝

Glad you like it!

Jan 17, 2016 1:46 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Thank you for the link and the info!

No worries regarding the center control. 🙂I'll have to keep an eye on that FCP.co thread. I'll be interested to see if anyone tries to add that feature.

I'll have to think about M5. It's not very expensive but I'd like to make sure I need it before I add to my already expensive hobby. 😉

In the meantime, I think I'll dig through FCP.co and see what other plugins people have to offer. As you may have noticed, I tend to go with the more psychedelic effects. 😉

Jan 17, 2016 11:10 PM in response to christine548

christine548 wrote:

In the meantime, I think I'll dig through FCP.co and see what other plugins people have to offer. As you may have noticed, I tend to go with the more psychedelic effects. 😉

There're tons to discover, keep in mind: many come with optional adjustments, crank it all up/down, to get some 'colorful' results.

Not sure, my rememberings of 'psychedelic' (me old man, that boring 'been there, done that'-generation... 😉 ) cover your imaginations, for instance, my heroes Mark&Steve at rippletraining.com have published socalled 'legacy' generators = plugins, a good starting point to experiment with compo settings, overlays, keying, color replacements, whatever. And, again, no need for M5.

To promote Motion5:

after understanding the basics, it's a bit like Lego, -zillions of behaviors, filters, particle generators etc, ready to be combined by you. But when you have a specific goal in mind, it soon gets a ballistic learning curve .... hobby? A time-eater!! LOL😝

Enjoy movie making!

k.

PS: in the Motion5 section of this board, there are, aside others, two honorable members to mention, fox_m ( who has a mile long playlist of tutorials at YouTube (watch a few to see, if M5 is within you limits...) and GFXZen, both with in an incredible amount of expertise and willing to share ...

FCPX 10.2.2 - Radial Blur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.