Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you create new templates in Garageband 10.1.0?

I am a new user to Garageband and love the functionality... when it works correctly. I am running into a few annoying UI quirks and the usual bugs - crackling, latency, etc.

One of the more annoying omissions is that I don't see any way to create a 'recording template'.

In my setup, I have a Tascam audio interface with 7 microphones and I want the UI to always show me the 'record enable' button. Every time I create a new project, I have to set this up all over again which is a time waster. Is there a way to set this as the default or create a template from these settings?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Jan 9, 2016 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2017 3:08 PM

When I try Edgars advice from more than a year ago with the current GarageBand 10.2, it is also working well. The New Project dialog will display this panel, after I added my own Template for project with an Epic Diva vocal track:

User uploaded file

I used a modified procedure and created the additional Voice template by copying the original template "Voice" and editing it in GarageBand. Then I added the edited template to the Contents > Resources > Project Templates > New Project . This saves the icon.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2017 3:08 PM in response to boey66

When I try Edgars advice from more than a year ago with the current GarageBand 10.2, it is also working well. The New Project dialog will display this panel, after I added my own Template for project with an Epic Diva vocal track:

User uploaded file

I used a modified procedure and created the additional Voice template by copying the original template "Voice" and editing it in GarageBand. Then I added the edited template to the Contents > Resources > Project Templates > New Project . This saves the icon.

Aug 5, 2017 2:24 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

Hello Edgar,

Thanks for this very smart workaround! I'm quite a novice, so this might be a dumb question, but why should I copy the application before opening its 'Package Content'? I'm probably wrong, but I'd have guessed that my shortcut would then point to the first copy of Garageband and not the one I create according to your instructions?

Kind regards,

Aug 5, 2017 2:46 PM in response to boey66

but why should I copy the application before opening its 'Package Content'?

Better be save than sorry. It is always better to have a backup copy, while you are changing folders and items inside an application. It is easy to accidentally move things around or to damage 3important items.

? I'm probably wrong, but I'd have guessed that my shortcut would then point to the first copy of Garageband and not the one I create according to your instructions?

It will also work, if you edit the GarageBand.app in your Applications folder, and just keep the copy save, but you could also add your copy to the Dock or create a new alias on the Desktop.

Jan 10, 2016 10:06 PM in response to joeg816

The official answer is: NO, you can't create your own Templates ... however ...

There is a workaround on how to do it anyways. It involves a little surgery under hood, so do it on your own risk:

• Create a Project the way you want it to appear as a Template and save it. For example "My Template 1"
  • Make a copy of the GarageBand application and open its Package Content (ctr-click on the app and select "Show Package Contents" from the popup menu.
  • Navigate to the following folder: Contents ➤ Resources ➤ Project Templates ➤ New Project ➤ and you will all the Template files, whihc are regular GarageBand Project Files.
  • Copy your previously saved GarageBand Project to that folder location (you can copy more of your won Porjects if you like)
  • Launch GarageBand and when the "Project Chooser" window opens (using the New Project" command") you will see the your own PRoject listed next to the other system Template.
  • Unfortunately, your user Templates won't display an icon, just a black square, but other than that, they function as the other Template

This is the screenshot of the GarageBand Package Contents

User uploaded file

This is a screenshot how the "Project Chooser" looks like with your own custom Templates.

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Can you create new templates in Garageband 10.1.0?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.