Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie cannot duplicate projects

I have been having various issues with duplicating projects since the upgrade to 10.1. Now I am getting 'The document “com.apple.flexo-tmp-b6ewjy” could not be saved. An error occurred while saving' every time I attempt to duplicate a project that I use as a template.

iMovie 10, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Mid 2011 iMac

Posted on Jan 9, 2016 6:28 PM

3 replies

Jan 11, 2016 7:00 AM in response to PondScum69

Hi PondScum69,

Are you trying to duplicate a project that you created in iMovie 10.1, or is this project from a previous version of iMovie? If you are working with a project from a previous version of iMovie, the project needs to be updated first.

Update projects and events from earlier iMovie versions

The file name “com.apple.flexo-tmp-b6ewjy” does not appear to be in the correct format. Where did you receive the source files? Are they saved to a library on your internal drive or an external drive connected to your Mac?

The iMovie User Guide explains how to duplicate a project:

Copy or move projects, events, or clips between libraries or storage devices

Work with multiple libraries

You can think of a library as the place to store all your stuff: a collection of one or more events. An event is a grouping of footage based on the date and time the clips were recorded, as well as the projects you create with them. Most of the time, you have only one iMovie library, but there are situations in which you might want to have more than one.

For example, you might want to create additional libraries so that you can:

• Back up your current project

• Create an archive of your events and projects on a separate (external) storage device

• Free up storage space on your Mac by moving iMovie events to another storage device

• Edit a project on another Mac

iMovie allows you to create additional library files in different locations on your Mac or on different storage devices. You can access and work on any library at any time from within iMovie. And you can move and copy clips and events between libraries.

Copy or move projects, events, or clips between libraries or storage devices

1. Connect a storage device that contains the target library to your Mac, or copy the target library to your Mac.

2. Choose File > Open Library, and choose an option from the submenu.

You can choose from recently opened libraries, locate an existing library on your Mac, or create a new library.

The selected library is opened in the Libraries list, with the first event selected and its contents displayed in the browser.

3. In the Libraries list, select the event that contains the item you want to move or copy.

4. In the browser, select the item you want to move or copy.

Tip: To select multiple clips or projects in the same library, hold down the Command key as you click the items you want to select, or drag a selection rectangle around the items.

5. Do one of the following:

• To move items between events or libraries: Drag the clip or project to another event or library.

• To copy items between events or libraries: Option-drag the clip or project to another event or library by first starting to drag and then holding down the Option key as you drag.

PondScum69, if this basic information does not get you back on track with your current iMovie project, please reply to this thread with more information about your issue and we'll do our best to help.

All the best to you in 2016!

Jan 11, 2016 7:19 AM in response to AppleJoe

I am working with a new iMovieLibrary file that was created in 10.1 with projects created in 10.1 in that library file. It turned out that I couldn't duplicate ANY project without getting that error. I previously had a project that I posted about in this same iMovieLibrary file that I duplicated, deleted, and then couldn't duplicate again because iMovie complained that the project already existed (duplicate always would add " 1" to the end of the name and that was the one I deleted but iMovie still thought it was there, would give an error, and wouldn't let me rename it although the error dialog told me to use a different name). Anyway, I ended up just renaming that original project and then I could duplicate. This error started after trying to duplicate another project. Then I would get it on every project. I quit iMovie and when I restarted it, it said the project that wouldn't duplicate needed repair. I clicked Repair but it still couldn't duplicate. Every time I close and open the iMovieLibrary file it says it needs repair. iMovie has totally jacked up my iMovieLibrary file. I never had this kind of problem until the 10.1 update.

Jan 12, 2016 2:35 PM in response to PondScum69

Hi PondScum69,

At this point, I would suggest you contact one of our technical support advisors. They have the tools to work with you one-on-one and share your computer screen remotely so that they can investigate further into this. If you live near an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service provider, they can do this with you in person. Click on the link above to initiate that support, and refer the advisor to this thread to review the steps you've already taken.

Take care,

iMovie cannot duplicate projects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.