Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dark spots on display iMac 5k (Late 2014)

I bought one of the first 27" iMac 5k retina display. It is a wonderful machine and is working pretty good.

Last week when i switched my dark background screen to a more light one I noticed some weird dark spots on the bottom left corner of the display, I tried to clean it with a soft cloth then i found it that the spots are actually in between the surface and the display ( in other words unreachable).

Who knows since when that has been there, the case is I am now now realizing that my computer is off by 2 months from the 1 year warranty, took it to Apple store and I was sent back with a pretty much (too bad) we can't do anything about it.

I have done some research and it seems the problem is in more than just mine computer.

Question is, What is Apple doing about it? It is obviously something related with moisture/temperature or the new resin glue that they use on the 5K iMacs.

And of course the fee of 500+_ Dollars is a bit too much for me when I spend at least 3200.00 for it less than 14 months ago.

here are some images that show the spots.User uploaded file

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Jan 24, 2016 6:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2017 2:02 AM

The same problem I have with me and my brother on iMac 5k Early 2014!

User uploaded file

I have an iMac 5k Early 2014, 2 iMac 5K have the same problem,

to me is less dust, with her brother's unbelievable!

It all happened after a year, when we lost a guarantee from Apple, the whole family all use Apple devices, after this, Apple will never again see my 1 cent! This is a shame, we have paid more than 3,000 euros per piece!

All of their devices I hung up for sale, since that's why! iphone 6, iphone 6 plus, iphone 7 plus, macbook air, macbook pro, ipad air 2, imac 5k!

After cheering from the iMac 5k, after a year of disappointment, at least all of their services are charged too expensive! 2017 is the year of Apple failure! trust me on this!

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2017 2:02 AM in response to Gyurza

The same problem I have with me and my brother on iMac 5k Early 2014!

User uploaded file

I have an iMac 5k Early 2014, 2 iMac 5K have the same problem,

to me is less dust, with her brother's unbelievable!

It all happened after a year, when we lost a guarantee from Apple, the whole family all use Apple devices, after this, Apple will never again see my 1 cent! This is a shame, we have paid more than 3,000 euros per piece!

All of their devices I hung up for sale, since that's why! iphone 6, iphone 6 plus, iphone 7 plus, macbook air, macbook pro, ipad air 2, imac 5k!

After cheering from the iMac 5k, after a year of disappointment, at least all of their services are charged too expensive! 2017 is the year of Apple failure! trust me on this!

Oct 23, 2017 11:34 PM in response to Gyurza

Same issue here. I have an iMac 5K 27 inch late 2015 model. After 13 months of my purchase, I observed grey smudges at bottom right corners of my screen, and they are visible if I open a light colored window. It's a bad luck as this machine is not in warranty anymore.

Apple should consider this issue seriously as this should not happen with a machine which is many times costlier as compared to other brands's desktops in the market. A consumer buys an Apple product because of the trust on its quality, not just because of its brand name.

User uploaded file

Dec 29, 2017 4:23 AM in response to OrangeOlive

GOOD LUCK!! its happened to 3 of my imacs - including the late 2013 with “ new “ housing. Apple does NOTHING to fix this- mine seems to show up weeks after Applecare expires- I paid 2300.00 for a POS and they want 600.00 to replace the lcd ( the only solution ) but its not a permanent one- same issues occurs after a few months. COMPLETE DISGUST with Apple

Dec 29, 2017 4:26 AM in response to rhnarora84

GOOD LUCK!! its happened to 3 of my imacs - including the late 2013 with “ new “ housing. Apple does NOTHING to fix this- mine seems to show up weeks after Applecare expires- I paid 2300.00 for a POS and they want 600.00 to replace the lcd ( the only solution ) but its not a permanent one- same issues occurs after a few months. COMPLETE DISGUST with Apple

Jan 16, 2018 6:12 AM in response to jh2016

jh2016 wrote:

I just looked at my receipt and my applecare ran out a few days ago. Rotten luck

Think it would be worth checking in with apple regardless?

Yes. This is obviously an Apple fault. Don't take no for an answer. In Australia we have laws that apply to defective equipment that is "not fit for purpose". See what your country offers.

Peter

Feb 18, 2018 4:16 AM in response to Gyurza

I've just had the same issue here in the UK.

The iMac is 2 only years old (late 2015) and therefore out of warranty with our consumer laws. I was quoted £520 to replace the panel in the Apple Store.

I had to jump through hoops with several online chats and calls to Apple Care who eventually agreed to cover the cost of the repair. The repair was completed within 7 days.

Looking at this post and several others it seems this issue is quite a widespread. The technician in the Apple store said that they don't see this very often which I didn't really believe.

They didn't explain the cause but I'm assuming it's probably caused by either insufficient insulation from the speakers or a fault in manufacturing with the panel.

Although I'm grateful for Applecare for covering the cost of my repair, I really think that a repair program should be initiated for anyone else with the exact same issue. The defect seems to be apparent in all slim models since 2014. In the models before that, the screen could be easily removed and cleaned on the inside.

I was going to buy my daughter an iMac for her birthday but until either the cause of the issue is rectified in future models or there is a repair program in place, I don't think I can in good conscience buy another iMac knowing that it will be case of 'when' and not 'if' the panel becomes defective.

Feb 21, 2018 1:25 PM in response to SkyeCruise

I had this happen in the first 6 months of having my iMac, got the screen replaced and it showed up again on the new screen a few months later.

I waited in the very last month of my Applecare running out before taking it in, since it takes close to 2 weeks to get back.

And now it's happened again! At this point I'd just really like to get to the bottom of what is causing it. I was wondering if it could be the speakers causing it because today was the first time since I had it last repaired that I think I've played anything over the internal speakers.

Feb 21, 2018 2:47 PM in response to Jakanapes

Magnetic fields from speakers are not supposed to damage LCD panels.

I’ve had a look at images of the internals of an iMac and the dark marks always occur in the panel in the exact same location of the speakers at the bottom left and right corners.

It seems pretty obvious that the issue is caused by insufficient shielding from the speakers over time.

It’s very unlikely that it will happen by playing music on one single occasion.

I guess it would have been difficult for Apple to test the effect of the speakers being next to the panel over a long period of time when they probably are only able to test new devices over a period of a few months.

That being said, they really need to own up to having cocked up the design and set up a repair program for damaged panels.

May 25, 2018 4:50 PM in response to Rapheal

Hi Rapheal, I got no responses from anybody so I did some research and have established that it's dust that's entered the iMac on the intake vents at the bottom of the computer and has got stuck in between the screen and the LCD. The only way to remove it is to take the thing apart and I certainly don't have the skills or the confidence to do this, but see the youtube video:

Apple Cinema/iMac LCD Dust Clean www.service-macbook.ro - YouTube

Jun 21, 2018 8:12 PM in response to Gyurza

Hii all

I have the same problem with my iMac Late 2014 5K Retina and after a long searching online for this dark spots for iMac which have 5k Retina LCD i finally get this solution but i dont test it yet please any one will do this please reply us i solved or not >>>>> Please this attched video link >>>> Good Luck all 🙂

Чистка матрицы iMac 2012-2015 (iMac LCD Panel Cleaning Shadows/dust) - YouTube

Dark spots on display iMac 5k (Late 2014)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.