Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I set the playback speed of podcast on Apple TV 4?

POdcasts are now playing at half speed or slower on my Apple TV 4. I was controlling it with a universal remote, and somehow changed the playback speed. I initially had the speed at 2X normal and then got it to play at .5. This affects all podcasts and persists after a restart.

how can I restore to normal playback speed?

Posted on Jan 25, 2016 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2016 6:54 PM

I experienced the exact same behavior. The only thing that has worked for me to restore proper playback speed is to reset the Apple TV.

I spent an hour on the phone about this very issue with Apple tech support this evening (January 26, 2016) and no other solution surfaced. And we tried pretty much everything.

I personally believe Apple simply left Playback Speed controls out of this version 1.0 of the app, but that our universal remotes (mine is a Logitech Harmony One) have the ability to accidentally (though irreversibly) trigger the function.

If Apple contacts me with a solution, I will come back and post it here.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2016 6:54 PM in response to drw65

I experienced the exact same behavior. The only thing that has worked for me to restore proper playback speed is to reset the Apple TV.

I spent an hour on the phone about this very issue with Apple tech support this evening (January 26, 2016) and no other solution surfaced. And we tried pretty much everything.

I personally believe Apple simply left Playback Speed controls out of this version 1.0 of the app, but that our universal remotes (mine is a Logitech Harmony One) have the ability to accidentally (though irreversibly) trigger the function.

If Apple contacts me with a solution, I will come back and post it here.

Jan 27, 2016 7:40 PM in response to drw65

I also have this issue with ATV 4 and Harmony 700 universal remote. The latter was previously programmed to work with previous gen ATV.

Upon attempting to fast forward and rewind in a podcast using the Harmony, the playback speed got stuck at a slower speed. This was the normal operation on the prev gen ATV and seems to have caused this issue with the ATV4.

Like others here, no amount of ff or rew button presses would fix the issue. A simple restart didn't work. Force closing the app didn't work.

After seeing this thread I tried the Reset All Settings option and it worked.

Now I have to download and set up all the non-Apple apps all over again. Great...:(

This was a pretty awful user experience! And whe can we see speed control properly implemente, Apple? This is a very useful feature.

Jan 30, 2016 12:23 PM in response to drw65

Have the same problem with slow Podcast playback from the App. After having to wait for its release and getting less than a week's use out of the App because of this glitch, I will add my note of frustration to the list. I hope Apple fixes this bug quickly.

Similar details as everyone else: using a Harmony remote. No way to reset it back to normal speed. Rebooting the system does not help. I'm sure as others have suggested, a restore will probably do the trick but I'm not really interested right now in setting everything back up.

Hope we see a fix from Apple soon.

Feb 22, 2016 2:11 PM in response to Ron Duer

I just experienced the same problem. Also with a Harmony 650 remote. I don't feel like resetting the whole system and then downloading and resetting up all the apps again. I'm going to wait until the next firmware is released which will probably fix the problem. For now I'll just airplay podcasts from my phone. My guess is that being able to adjust the playback speed is a feature that is there but not implemented yet on the remote. It will probably be fixed with the next firmware. I'm going to try using the apple remote on my iPhone to see if I can adjust the playback speed with that.

How can I set the playback speed of podcast on Apple TV 4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.