Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4 not outputting AC3 track as Dolby Digital

Have come across many older threads where the topic seems to go off onto stereo debates and it's impossible to find an answer in there, so I want to create a new one that hopefully gets some attention or a fix.

Heres the issue. The apple tv 4 (tv os 9.1.1) connected to my iTunes library on macbook via home share will not output audio on the ac3 track as Dolby Digital but sends it as multichannel bitstream pcm. Yes this is surround sound, but without the Dolby Digital processing which is in the file already. Files all played fine over ATV3, suddenly on the ATV4 they don't.

-Some have said it may be regarding fallback, I have made nearly10 versions of the same file, some with only an ac3 track, some with only an aac, some with fallback set some without - few people said iTunes have changed their config and that now maybe we need to have ac3 as the first track where before we would have had aac first and then ac3 with fallback set to aac. Done that, tried it, no change.

When setting the ATV4 to auto, it picks up the ac3 track and sends it as bitstream - NOT what anyone wants when the track is already Dolby Digital. Setting the atv4 to forced Dolby Digital makes it only send stereo so I'm assuming it only then sees the aac track for some reason.

Current running the latest tv os, not beta if this helps.

If I play netflix it comes as Dolby Digital like it should. If i play a video of House MD off my purchased iTunes list (not via homeshare, but from the purchased menu on the ATV4) it sends Dolby Digital. It seems to be purely the home share thing that is buggered.

Please before we get another 40page thread of the pros or cons of bitstream v dolby digital - don't. The simple issue is that the files have a Dolby Digital AC3 track which worked on the atv3 but not the atv4. Lets try to fix this instead of going off on a tangent again.

I am also aware that using infuse 4 tvos app (or plex) somehow works and sends the audio as ac3 however this seems a £7.99 workaround since you need the pro version and is not by any means a fix to the problem at hand.

I am quite happy to reorder/remux my files and report back to anyone what works or what changes so we can get to the bottom of this - it only takes a few mins to check and see.

Hope this gets some interest and answers!

Thanks

Apple TV 4-OTHER

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 9:29 AM

10 replies

Jan 31, 2016 9:53 AM in response to d00dlebug

I bought INFUSE because it properly handles DD AC3. It also doesn't stutter, jitter movie playback that are stored on the drive. Unlike ATV4, even after the movies has fully loaded in ATV4 playback stutters. INFUSE according to the features also plays DTS, DTS-HD and more audio video formats. Just get that since Apple seems to have blatantly missed the boat on this one. Perhaps they think everyone has a SoundBAR for HT setups. lol

Jan 31, 2016 10:01 AM in response to SuperSizeIt

I have that, but thats not solving the issue as I said. It's a workaround not a fix and I personally would rather use the atv4 as is, otherwise I'd be using a roku and a windows pc or something.

Either they have screwed up the system and they need to fix it OR they have changed something in the code regarding placement of soundtracks or added a new tag to mark something as 'DD' that makes the way we mux them in programs such as iFlicks or Subler fail where before they worked.

It's not that the atv 4 CANT output ac3 Dolby Digital - it does for netflix and for purchased media from the iTunes store. It's that something has changed either in iTunes or their own ATV4 coding that makes our files incompatible re the DD tag.

That is what needs sorting and maybe theres a dev guy here who knows something about this and can shed some light?

Jan 31, 2016 12:08 PM in response to d00dlebug

I have read in some places that the atv4 is actually designed to decode the DD signal and pass through the resulting PCM multichannel audio with all the decoding already done...with the ATV3 the box only passed the signal along and did no processing of any sort. I imaging this is why apps like plex and infuse can send the ac3 DD signal through - they just don't decode anything and pass through things as they are.

That said, this still means that somehow the ATV4 box CAN decide to NOT decode the DD signal with iTunes store content and pass it through ala ATV3 and only does decode for 100% of the time with homeshare files...so I think there must be some tag or header/meta in those iTunes store files that marks it for forced passthrough rather than forced decoding. I hope some devs figure this out and find that flag marker so we can add it into mixing progs.

I wouldn't have such an issue with ppm multichannel but DD sounds so much deeper and vivid and the pcm multichannel sounds to my ears - not as good - because it lacks that boom and crispness. Perhaps some equaliser fiddling can fix this 😟

BTW< SuperSizeIt, no offence or rudeness was meant in my reply to you. I just really want someone to look at this and get to the root of it but its probably a long shot and i either have to get used to multichannel pcm or use infuse for the DD passthrough.

Or buy everything through iTunes store...convenient how iTunes store content i.e. things you have purchased from Apple give DD signal without an issue...

Feb 1, 2016 11:59 AM in response to d00dlebug

This may be unrelated but I have a post here, which hasn't been that popular: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7415127 I just noticed how you mentioned "convenient how iTunes store content i.e. things you have purchased from Apple give DD signal without an issue" and my bass issues only happen in third party apps (iTunes movie rentals play fine). So I think you may be onto something as I think my issue is related to the decoding somehow (not that I pretend to know much about all this!).

It's a real shame that I I can't use the soundbar with the AppleTV (which I use for most of our TV consumption since we got it) but it works fine streamed movies/other boxes.

Sorry to stick my oar in!

Feb 1, 2016 1:31 PM in response to tidygraphic

Hello TidyGraphic 🙂

I do think there is something in these files with the coding, if the atv4 can output a DD signal without processing it first (DD once processed by the ATV4 becomes pcm multi stream i believe) for netflix and iTunes store then surely they can do the same or enable an option to send audio out without processing fullstop so homeshare files are DD again.

The problem Iv personally had is that many people either don't seem to have a receiver than decodes ac3 DD so don't see the pcm multistream as a problem but as a positive (since this means the atv4 is decoding it for you before it send it out) or those that say 'well i have surround sound so its ok' and ignore that fact that yes we have surround sound but its not all the same. I think most people with a receiver worth £500+ would much rather that does the audio processing than a £129 box and since atv3 allowed you, and netflix and store content still lets you do this on atv4 why not homeshare 😟

Re your soundbar thats a weird one! It does remind me of issues iv had with bluetooth earphones in the past but I will have to read your post again and have a think.

No prob messaging here matey, who knows someone might read this thread and know a solution to your problem 🙂

Feb 3, 2016 1:12 PM in response to d00dlebug

Hey Guys,

I've been scouring the Apple Discussion forums and noticed some confusion. I posted the following URL to help clarify some of the questions people are having about surround sound playback.

http://developer.dolby.com/News/Dolby_Audio_Support_on_Apple_TV.aspx

The Apple TV 4 has an actual Dolby Digital Plus Decoder built in now, so I can see why there would be confusion between the Apple TV 3 and the Apple TV 4.

Hope this helps!

Feb 3, 2016 12:42 PM in response to Dolby Developer

Hello Dolby Digital fella!! Or lady of course 🙂

Firstly I gotta thank you for that page - that's a real help to a lot of people and a shame apple couldn't have made a page for these things themselves knowing a lot of people might have these questions lol. Ill try to link to that page in a few forums if thats ok by you and give you the credit in there.

So from what I read I am concluding that my thoughts were right and pcm multi stream is sorta here to stay. Not necessarily a bad thing as such but perhaps something the ear has to get used to in my case (i miss that something special that the receiver did to sound when it was the thing decoding DD) and I suppose I have to look upon it as just an evolution of the audio for 7.1+ sound.

One thing I find odd - maybe you can advise me here - is that the 'DOLBY SURROUND' function doesn't work for me on homeshare (i.e. files I stream from itunes on my mac to the ATV4) 😟

If i enable that option netflix and iTunes store things are indeed seen by my receiver as 'DD' but my homesahre files seem to fall back to 2.0 sound (either the aac 2.0 track or the 5.1 ac3 track down mixed, i can't tell) rather than DD 5.1

I say odd because my receiver accepts and decoded just about every format of sound there is and never had a problem with DD signals from anything else but the atv4 and homeshare.

Anyway, thats either bug they will fix or not and as you say, multi stream pcm = 5.1 just pre decoded and mixed and the main thing is that the surround sound IS there in some form.

So, in conclusion, thank you very much for that help! Its a weight off my mind to know what is and isn't going on!

Hope you see this reply 🙂

Warmest regards,

Chris.

Feb 5, 2016 5:10 AM in response to Dolby Developer

Just a further update to anyone following this:

Today I rebooted my ATV4 via the menu after a weird audio came though on the home screen that i couldn't identify. Sounded like a popup for timeshares lol.

I was planning to watch netflix so set the sound to 'dolby surround' to force it through.

Decided to check a file from homeshare was in sync before I started my season binge...ac3 Dolby Digital came through to the receiver.

Checked other files under movies, some tv shows, all working and sending ac3 Dolby Digital.

I have no idea why this is suddenly working, iTunes hasn't had any updates the past week, neither has the tvOS software...

It may be a glitch that if ac3 DD doesn't get forced through we need to restart the atv, i really can't say, but it is definitely working.

Beautiful red DD letters are glowing at me.

Apple TV 4 not outputting AC3 track as Dolby Digital

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.