Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Other" Space Huge in iPhone 6 - 16 Gb

I am old iPhone user (the first one was a 3G) and have always been restrained in numbers of applications, so I opted for the iPhone 6 16GB, capacity already used in the previous one, an iPhone 4S. The big problem is that since the purchase, often when it is in the wi-fi and in the outlet, I see the free space continually plummet, to effectively zero, with more than 7GB in "Other" category. So, It's impossible to update applications, take photos etc.

The situation can only be solved with a backup in iTunes, full erase and restore from backup. It is ok for some time, maybe a week ou two and then again ... apparently is an iCloud backup being done but never finished but even with the backup turned off, the situation repeats. Maybe it could be some account or iCloud inconsistency...

This month I have already restored my iPhone 4 times. To avoid or at least postpone the problem every time that I plug it in the outlet, I turn wi-fi off. I have another problem: My iCloud Drive documents do not show at iCloud Drive app in iPhone, only in my computers (MacBook Pro and Mac Mini), issue already known by Apple and never solved.

Some points: use iCloud Drive intensely (today are 150 GB of data), use the iCloud Photos (90 GB library) and a few non-native applications (bank app, Twitter, FB, Whatsapp, Nubank, TelecinePlay ...) none strange or very specific that could be causing the problem. I've done the factory reset and set up as new.

Someone is in a similar situation? I appreciate the comments!

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1, 16 Gb

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 12:20 PM

27 replies

Mar 19, 2017 5:00 PM in response to gregory202

He's not wrong - you are.

From your replies I gather you don't understand the problem or willfully ignore Carlos' explanations. The phone is not to small - what a ridiculous answer.

If you don't have any useful answers to resolve the problem, which I have too by the way, stop farming points for replying with useless babbeling.

Do you even know what a proxy is?

Feb 5, 2016 4:53 PM in response to Carlos Gabriel Arpini

Carlos Gabriel Arpini wrote:

The situation can only be solved with a backup in iTunes, full erase and restore from backup.

Just my 2 pennies. I do not believe that statement is correct. That proceedure only resolved 10 percent of "other" cases. The rest are resolved by setting up device as new.

Your problem though will not get resolved by it, you have way too much data for 16 gigs phone. Photo library can be reduced in size a lot, I have seen up to 25 times, but documents (you referring to 60 gigs in icloud drive) that sounds like impossible task to sync with that size of the phone.

Feb 10, 2016 12:48 PM in response to gregory202

Well, in my case, the process of backup -> restore, works perfectly. It actually frees a lot of space... until it is occupied again.

New info: this week (Carnival holiday here in Brazil) I was without wi-fi connection and did the process to have space to take photos of my daughter. It was ok for 3 days. Even without wi-fi, one morning, when I checked, I ran out of space. I was really ****** off. Had to delete some apps and turned iCloud Photo off to see if I could free some space to take pictures since I wasn't with my computer. Result: 1.5 GB of free space.... Two days later, worried with space, checked it again and 5 GB of free space! This with-no-reason-flotation is driving me crazy! Without internet connection!

And Gregory, iCloud Drive do not sync documents, It only shows it up and download it when necessary, just like DropBox (that worked perfectly with 1 TB data).

Feb 11, 2016 4:10 PM in response to Carlos Gabriel Arpini

And Gregory, iCloud Drive do not sync documents, It only shows it up and download it when necessary, just like DropBox (that worked perfectly with 1 TB data).

Or "Some points: use iCloud Drive intensely (today are 150 GB of data), "

So pick one you don't use it or you use it? Either way it ain't gonna work too small of the phone. But then again you already know that, don't you?

Feb 11, 2016 4:27 PM in response to gregory202

Sorry if I did not make myself clear, english is nor my first language. I used to use Dropbox, with all my documents (1TB account with 150 GB of documents) and of course I didn't have all data on my iPhone, the app just downloaded when necessary.

One day I moved all my documents to my 200 GB iCloud account to avoid the double bill. When I did that I was using an 16 GB iPhone 4S. Everything worked fine, syncing between my MacBook and my Mac Mini. The iCloud Drive app was not released since It was only available in iOS 9.

New iPhone, new problem, running out of space weekly.

My solo objective here is to see if anyone else is having the same problem and found solution. Tried to open a support session with Apple and after 10 calls, many log files sent, remote connection, engineering calls, we got nothing. Maybe solved in future updates.

But the question is: am I alone with this trouble?

Feb 11, 2016 4:48 PM in response to Carlos Gabriel Arpini

Have you looked at the storage in 'Settings app > Usage > Manage storage' ? It should indicate what is taking up the most space.

Do you connect to iTunes on a computer? If so what does iTunes list for the usage when you connect to that?

It does sound like you are syncing lots of data to the device. I suspect it may be the photos, so you should probably look at the settings for that. It doesn't sound good to have to disable wifi to stop this issue, that is why we think it is related to your large iCloud usage.

I would suggest you make a screenshot of the 'Manage Storage' list when you next restore. Then enable wifi and allow iCloud to do whatever it is setup to do.

Then take another screenshot of the storage listing, it should be clear what items have increased.

Press the power button & tap the home button to tai a screenshot.

Once you have some items to look at examine the settings for those features.

If you think the device is faulty take it to an Apple store or contact Apple support.

Feb 11, 2016 5:36 PM in response to Drew Reece

Hi Drew,

In "Settings", I can only see the data occupied by Photos and Apps, not iCloud Drive Documents. In iTunes, usually it's around 3 GB of Photos, 1 GB of Apps, 0.5 GB Documents and Data and 7 GB of Others (the yellow portion of the bar).

As I said, I travelled in holidays and got no wi fi connection. One day I was with 4 GB of free space, next day, zero. One day latter 4 GB again. Everything without internet connection (actually a poor 3G).

Tried to setup a proxy to analyze data traffic but nothing meaningful came up. I will get some screenshots to show you guys the situation and post here when It occurs again.

Thanks for the attention.

Feb 11, 2016 6:16 PM in response to Carlos Gabriel Arpini

The storage listing on the phone should be more useful than iTunes, sorry the all consuming 'Other' is a real pain 😟

To see the data for apps in iCloud…

Settings app > iCloud > Storage, tap Manage Storage > iCloud Drive.

See if that one grows in size, in addition to the storage list for apps.

Also take a look at this thread…

iPhone storage in iOS 9.2

I can't see a clear fix that would apply to you but Apple music is another possibility - do you use that service?

Feb 12, 2016 4:12 AM in response to Carlos Gabriel Arpini

Sorry if I did not make myself clear, english is nor my first language. I used to use Dropbox, with all my documents (1TB account with 150 GB of documents) and of course I didn't have all data on my iPhone, the app just downloaded when necessary.

One day I moved all my documents to my 200 GB iCloud account to avoid the double bill. When I did that I was using an 16 GB iPhone 4S. Everything worked fine, syncing between my MacBook and my Mac Mini. The iCloud Drive app was not released since It was only available in iOS 9.

New iPhone, new problem, running out of space weekly.

My solo objective here is to see if anyone else is having the same problem and found solution. Tried to open a support session with Apple and after 10 calls, many log files sent, remote connection, engineering calls, we got nothing. Maybe solved in future updates.

But the question is: am I alone with this trouble?

1. You are not alone, there are millions of people with iphone 16 gigs that is not enough and that is why Apple made larger sized phones.

2. Whoever gave you original preposition that restore from backup fixes other is wrong(only in 10 percent cases) you need to setup as new.

3. There are certain specifics of "other" that you may be able to reduce once you understand after which of your actions it increases.

I do not think I can give you any more constructive info.

Feb 12, 2016 4:43 AM in response to gregory202

Hi Gregory, thank you for the attention again.

1 - Yes, I understand that. But I used to live with an 16 GB iPhone without problem. I do not use lots of apps or games. My apps actually use only 3 GB. I do not have movies, music or anything like this. The problem is "Other" consuming all the space and I know that's something wrong. Do not know if it's with the hardware, software or iCloud account;

2 - Actually I already did both: setup as a new iPhone (a pain process) and restore from backup. In both cases "Other" space is reduced drastically. In both cases after a few days it's filled again;

3 - I know that "Other" may include a lot of data (internet cache, iCloud backup data being upload, Photos thumbnails...) and I tried to understand witch one is causing the trouble, without success: Already tried to:

3.1 - Stay without internet connection;

3.2 - Turned off iCloud Backup;

3.3 - Turned iCloud Photo off;

3.4 - Disabled Apple Music;

3.5 - Loged out and in in my iCloud Account;

3.6 - Sent an e-mail to Tim Cook, got seven Apple phone calls sent a bunch of logs, profiles...

None of then resulted in real solutions ou even clues of that's happening.

Feb 12, 2016 5:12 AM in response to Carlos Gabriel Arpini

Hi Gregory, thank you for the attention again.

1 - Yes, I understand that. But I used to live with an 16 GB iPhone without problem. I do not use lots of apps or games. My apps actually use only 3 GB. I do not have movies, music or anything like this. The problem is "Other" consuming all the space and I know that's something wrong. Do not know if it's with the hardware, software or iCloud account;

2 - Actually I already did both: setup as a new iPhone (a pain process) and restore from backup. In both cases "Other" space is reduced drastically. In both cases after a few days it's filled again;

3 - I know that "Other" may include a lot of data (internet cache, iCloud backup data being upload, Photos thumbnails...) and I tried to understand witch one is causing the trouble, without success: Already tried to:

3.1 - Stay without internet connection;

3.2 - Turned off iCloud Backup;

3.3 - Turned iCloud Photo off;

3.4 - Disabled Apple Music;

3.5 - Loged out and in in my iCloud Account;

3.6 - Sent an e-mail to Tim Cook, got seven Apple phone calls sent a bunch of logs, profiles...

None of then resulted in real solutions ou even clues of that's happening.

I told you in plain text more then three times your phone is too small for your usage. What "other" (pardon the pun) possible clues you need ? Any of those phone calls, logs or other actions changed size of your phone?

Feb 12, 2016 5:42 AM in response to gregory202

My point is: my phone is not too small for my use. I believe that something is wrong with it or with my iCloud account. I simply do not know what and how to fix it. This is why I posted in this forum in first place.

When I setup my phone as a new one, without any apps, photos or whatsoever, the problem occurred: 9 GB "other" in few hours.

Feb 12, 2016 9:23 AM in response to Carlos Gabriel Arpini

I will explain why you are wrong if you will tell me what the other is? Not specifically even, but why "OTHER". Tell me and I will explain to you the part you don't understand. Not the part you are reading somewhere - cache and all that ****, why iphone sees it as other? Answer it and you will answer your own question and understand how wrong you really are.

"Other" Space Huge in iPhone 6 - 16 Gb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.