Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5S, Dead Camera?

Hi,

I have a kind-of old iPhone 5S. It has a few cracks and black spots on the screen, none of which have ever interfered with the phones function. Recently both of my cameras stopped working. I open the camera app and it is just black, and crashes when I try to take a photo. Is there any way to resolve this issue without having to go and get a costly repair? If

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 3:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 10:11 AM

The only way to rule out a software problem would be setting it back to factory settings and testing the camera function without having used the latest backup data to restore the phone. If the camera is not working after that, the problem is hardware related and the phone has to be tested by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

They can also tell you more about your service options after they checked the device.

Find an Apple Authorized Service Provider

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2016 10:11 AM in response to dancingmuppet13

The only way to rule out a software problem would be setting it back to factory settings and testing the camera function without having used the latest backup data to restore the phone. If the camera is not working after that, the problem is hardware related and the phone has to be tested by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

They can also tell you more about your service options after they checked the device.

Find an Apple Authorized Service Provider

Feb 7, 2016 7:40 PM in response to dancingmuppet13

Well the two cameras are dependent on each other. When one has a hardware defect, the software will prevent both from working. From your history I would guess that a crack in the screen has allowed moisture to enter the top corner of the phone. The board may need to be addressed, but it is equally like that a new rear cam will solve. Otherwise, any independent repair shop will be able to help you troubleshoot this. Iphone 5s rear cam is easily accessible, so unless the board needs to be addressed, this would not be an expensive repair. Find a shop that believes in no fix no fee who would take a look at it for you with no charge if they can't fix it.

<Edited by Host>

iPhone 5S, Dead Camera?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.