Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problems with iPhoto 11 v9.4.3

Hy

i have since one month some problems with iPhoto, i´ve osx 10.8.5, i love this system, because, never change a running team! So , ever i start iPhoto, it crashes down after 10 seconds;

Please , i need a help, because, i don't want upgrade, i don't want Photos!

thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 2:47 AM

2 replies

Feb 7, 2016 11:56 AM in response to rothern

iPhoto 9.4.3 and earlier began to crash for many users all of a sudden a few weeks ago. This is because the contract between Apple and Google for use of Google maps with iPhoto 9.4.3 and earlier for Locations expired a couple of months age and was not renewed. That is the case of the freezes or crashes.

Apple now uses its own Maps program for Locations and too use it you must be running iPhoto 9.5.1 and Mavericks or 9.6.1 and Yosemite or El Capitan or Photos and El Capitan.

Try Huxly647's solution:

Huxly647Nov 20, 2015 12:05 AM
Re: iPhoto crashes after opening repeatedlyin response to carvermon
Helpful

I found a fix that works for me.

1. goto /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources (Control (right)-click on the iPhoto app and select Show Contents in the contextual menu - OT.)

2. delete the files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html

iPhoto no longer crashes, places doesn't work but it doesn't bother me too much.

Let me know if it works for you guys...

Removing the two files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html from iPhoto's application bundle prevents the javascript inside from being executed and causing the crash. Going offline does obviously do the same. So it is pretty clear, that something happened on Google's end.

Be sure to make a backup copy of the iPhoto application before attempting this procedure.

User uploaded file

Feb 7, 2016 12:03 PM in response to rothern

Huxley's solution, that OT pointed to, will disable the Places feature in iPhoto completely, because it is simply no longer supported. If you need and want the Places feature, you have three options - upgrading to iPhoto 9.6.1 and El Capitan, upgrading to the new Photosapp, or try this user tip:

Bug: iPhoto 9.4 crashing when viewing Places

User cotton-x posted a clever fix to patch the iPhoto application, so that it is using a private key to access Google's servers. The same fix is working well for Aperture 3.4.5 and probably the earlier versions of Aperture as well. See the link above link if you want to try it.

problems with iPhoto 11 v9.4.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.