Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I really need help in finding the right HDMI to AV-RCA converter for converting the Apple TV picture to 4:3 aspect ratio on a standard definition CRT TV without causing the picture to be distorted.

I'm failing to recognize what specific product I need to select for converting my Apple TV3 HDMI picture to display on my 36" Sony CRT set, with 480p standard definition with 4:3 aspect ratio. The Tendak 1080P HDMI to AV 3RCA CVBs Composite Converter, along with the two other converters I have tried from other sellers, convert the picture from my Apple TV but the picture does not maintain proper proportions for the Sony's 4:3 aspect radio. The net result is a vertically scrunched picture. I have tried all of the various picture resolutions on the Apple TV and I can't get the scrunched picture to go away. When I use The Tendak 1080P HDMI to AV 3RCA CVBs Composite Converter on the HDMI port on my Windows PC, I can adjust the display resolution in the Windows Settings to get the picture in proper proportions on a Standard Definition CRT TV. The same goes for using this Converter to to connect an HDMI Bu-Ray player to my 4:3 CRT set because the Blu-ray player allows me to select a screen setting that makes the picture look proportional on my old tube TV. I really need help in finding the right HDMI to AV-RCA converter for converting the Apple TV picture to 4:3 aspect ratio on a standard definition CRT TV without causing the picture to be distorted.User uploaded file

Apple TV, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 2:29 PM

4 replies

Feb 7, 2016 4:08 PM in response to cgrscott

The only supported method is HDMI and it's designed for a widescreen HDTV, there won't be any guarantee with any converter. Beyond the aspect issue, even if it were resolved, you would be unable to view protected content (ie iTunes, netflix) and functionality could cease at any time. You would be better off purchasing an inexpensive HDTV

Feb 7, 2016 5:25 PM in response to cgrscott

Keep in mind what 16:9 and 4:3 means. To display a 16:9 image without distorting it on a 4:3 screen, a letterbox image is required.

Unless you see this letterbox with the computer and blue ray player, they are not outputting a 16:9 image.

Unless the converter outputs in letterbox and your are fine with that, I would expect the converter to stretch the image to make it fill the screen like what you show.

I am not sure what is preventing you from purchasing an HDTV, but even the cheapest ones will produce a far superior picture to the old Sony. You will be glad you upgraded.

I really need help in finding the right HDMI to AV-RCA converter for converting the Apple TV picture to 4:3 aspect ratio on a standard definition CRT TV without causing the picture to be distorted.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.