Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple center bricks my phone

I replaced my iphone 6 screen myself. After the replacement, everything is functioning except Touch ID.

I sent my phone to Apple center, hoped that they could fix my Touch ID issue.

At the end I was charged on unauthorized modification and my phone was bricked with error 53.

Does Apple has the right to brick my phone?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 3:45 PM

55 replies

Feb 7, 2016 4:59 PM in response to cschai

cschai wrote:

I replaced my iphone 6 screen myself. After the replacement, everything is functioning except Touch ID.

I sent my phone to Apple center, hoped that they could fix my Touch ID issue.

At the end I was charged on unauthorized modification and my phone was bricked with error 53.

Does Apple has the right to brick my phone?

Actually, the problem originated when you did an unauthorized repair.

Read this post by forum member Lawrence Finch:

In this particular case Apple HAS issued an official statement, made to several press outlets:

"We take customer security very seriously and Error 53 is the result of security checks designed to protect our customers," the company said. "iOS checks that the Touch ID sensor in your iPhone or iPad correctly matches your device's other components. If iOS finds a mismatch, the check fails and Touch ID, including for Apple Pay use, is disabled. This security measure is necessary to protect your device and prevent a fraudulent Touch ID sensor from being used. If a customer encounters Error 53, we encourage them to contact Apple Support.

You can find this, along with a more detailed explanation, at http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/02/05/apple-acknowledges-error-53-glitch-say s-its-part-of-touch-id-security

Feb 7, 2016 6:06 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Refuse to provide support is one thing, but do they have the right to brick his phone without his consent?
Apple claims that they are aware that the lack of a functioning fingerprint sensor will brick a phone with error 53. To initiate the restore without his consent, knowing that it would brick the phone----that is inexcusable, and wrong.

It would be appropriate to send the phone back and say "sorry we can't help you" but to brick his phone? No.

Feb 7, 2016 8:55 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Yes, I understand Apple has the right to refuse provide support for the phones that had been repaired by unauthorized party and I accept that too. That is why when they charged me on that, I am willing to pay.

But what I handed them was a working phone (except Touch ID), can Apple just brick it and returned me with a dead one?

And they never explain to me they brick my phone, when I got my phone from them, I thought it was still be in the same condition I left for them. Until I got back home, only I found out I could not even turn my phone on.

Now I am back to my hometown for Chinese New Year. I will need to wait for a week before I go back the Apple cneter and look for them.

Feb 8, 2016 6:15 AM in response to mendonipadrehab

mendonipadrehab wrote:

Open it back up and see if you can see where the damage is. If is it just the long flex, then you can replace that and error 53 will clear.
If it is damage to the home button flex itself, then it too can be repaired if it is not torn too horribly. There are plenty of microsolderers out that that can help you. I would contact Rany S in Lebanon.

Won't work. The error 53 can only be cleared by apple and because he voided his warranty and did the repair himself then he is out of luck. Stop giving bad advice.

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Feb 13, 2016 12:15 AM in response to KC7GNM

Not true at all. Error 53 can be fixed. As long as original home button has no damage, or actually touch ID has no damage. I got iPhone 6 in for a screen replacement and while attempting to power the phone. Guess what screen i got? If you guessed connect to itunes, you win a headache. I was about to tell the customer she was done for. She said phone is out of warranty. Well then then, i told her i will take a look thinking that the home button will be damaged. No damage at all. Just a bit of liquid damage ONLY at the home button connection at top of the board and a filter was not making connection.

I fixed this phone when Apple can't/won't since out of warranty. The myth of error 53 needs to be explained. It is not related to home button, but ONLY Touch ID. The device i fixed did not have home button function(customer did not care leaving for out of town). If touch ID ever fails on your phone, run to Apple store. Yes, that is right, an independent store owner send people to Apple store all the time.

The other people need to stop posting that only Apple can fix certain things. Provide a solution and options for the people that have an issue. Stop being mean. I see more hatred then help.

My goal is to help people. That is my entire life. Seeing the face of the lady that has her phone working and not having to pay $300 for out of warranty. You should see that face. Also the screen replacement was a swap from an original iPhone 6 before any lame attempt to call my shop using bad parts or anything else. I also provide a better warranty on my repair than apple on a new device.

There are BAD repair shops for certain, but lets identify the good ones for those cases that Apple store is not an option for the customer. Even if it will void Apple warranty. We all need to think about the customer first. This is a help forum, so let us all get together and find a best solution for the customers in need. I will for certain try my best and be 100% honest.

Feb 13, 2016 12:39 AM in response to ckuan

Not advertising at all. I am just saying that a solution should be provided for customers in need. I didn't post a website, or say "contact me".

If somebody has a problem, i am going to provide a solution to that problem. Many times, it is NOT me. I am 100% ok with that. Telling somebody there is no hope, but there is.... That is just bad advice. I understand policy, but those few customers that need data that could not be backed up in time(for whatever reason). That data is important to them, not just getting a new device. It is all about the customer and what they want for me. I am a super small business, if i have unhappy customers, i am done.

I send many customers to Apple store. There are times that the Apple store can't help them though. I am just trying to help when Apple can't.

Feb 13, 2016 5:15 AM in response to ckuan

It is my understanding that this is a 'support community' - It looks to me as though there are people here with experience in repairs offering an above average level of support (voluntarily might I add) and they are being treated like crap by others that think they know more than they actually do. If you don't like the support being offered, ignore it and use an alternative method.

Feb 13, 2016 5:21 AM in response to Crittie

Crittie wrote:

It is my understanding that this is a 'support community' - It looks to me as though there are people here with experience in repairs offering an above average level of support (voluntarily might I add) and they are being treated like crap by others that think they know more than they actually do. If you don't like the support being offered, ignore it and use an alternative method.

And there are people who think they know more about repairs and the ramifications of having them done by someone unauthorized than they actually do but are often giving bad advice. Allowing that to stand would be doing a disservice to other users. We are all volunteers.

Apple center bricks my phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.