Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Trackpad 2 Disconnects on Sleep

I recently purchase the Magic Trackpad 2 to use with my iMac. Whenever my computer goes to sleep the trackpad disconnects and I have to turn it off and turn it back on to make it connect. The battery doesn't seem to be the issue - it's at 98%.

Anyone else having this problem? Is there a solution?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 7:10 AM

8 replies

Feb 17, 2016 6:34 AM in response to Todd Hagopian

I have the exact same issue as you (came here through a Google search) and found something that seems to work, at least for now:

In the System Preferences go to Bluetooth>Advanced... There are three options and the third one - "Allow Bluetoth devices to wake this computer" - was disabled in my system. I activated it and since then it does not disconnect during sleep anymore.

Now if I could only get rid of the Trackpad getting drunk (weird pointer movement) from time to time....

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 running 10.11.3, using a USB Dongle for Bluetooth 4.0.

Feb 17, 2016 11:37 AM in response to Todd Hagopian

Just to add another possible solution here: in addition to problems with the trackpad I also encountered that it is impossible to connect my older Magic Mouse (not the newer generation). I did an SMC reset followed by a PRAM reset on my Mac Pro. After that, all problems went away: both devices connect at the same time without issues, are immediately there after wake from sleep and there is no wonky behavior anymore. I also switched my Bluetooth 4.0 dongle from the USB 3.0 add-on card to the internal original 2.0 USB bus, but I guess this was not the issue here.

Magic Trackpad 2 Disconnects on Sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.