Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s keeps beeping when plugged in to new MacBook Pro

I just got a new Macbook pro but when I plug my iPhone 5s into the USB to sync, the iPhone keeps making the charging sound by constantly beeping. therefor iTunes cannot connect to my iPhone. The iPhone behaves normally on my old Mac and when charging in a socket.....Any ideas? Turning the phone off doesn't help nor does restarting the new Mac.... Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 12:57 PM

22 replies

Mar 31, 2017 1:23 PM in response to Colt on Hold

Colt on Hold wrote:

I have a 90 day free service thingy so will call Apple support tomorrow. I'll keep you posted!

Colt, find a reliable solution from Apple support?

My 5s recently started causing iPhone "Unknown Error -50" when plugged. Repetitive beeping as the phone connects/disconnects to an Apple refurb'd MBP Mid-2015. Both phone and Mac sw up to date. And, whether connecting via USB3 ports or WiFi. Same result with either USB port, and with different USB cables. Also, when it's working, it doesn't matter which port or cable.

It started this several months after I got the new MBP, so guessing it's a software issue introduced with one of the several iOS and macOS updates.

Sometimes it has worked after a Mac and/or iPhone re-boot, sometimes just re-starting iTunes, sometimes some other particular combo of power-on/off, connect, or re-boot sequence... or some other variable. Never found a repeatable procedure. Guessing Apple hasn't either. ; >)

Feb 8, 2016 1:52 PM in response to Colt on Hold

Reset the SMC on the computer. This reroutes power to your hardware. Just make sure everything is disconnected except the Magsafe power adapter.

Have you tried using any other USB devices on this new computer?

Yes it is brand new, but it can still have a hardware problem if something went wrong during manufacturing.

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Feb 9, 2016 9:28 AM in response to Colt on Hold

I want to say it does, but if your iPhone connects to another computer with the same cable without an issue, then the only logical explanation is the USB port on your computer.

Here's what I would do:

1. Reset the SMC using the article I posted

2. Restart the iPhone by pressing and holding the power and home button for 7 seconds

3. Connect the iPhone using only Apple products, no third party cables

4. Connect directly to the computer, no USB hubs or extensions

After that, If you still have the problem you may want to seek the help of the Apple Store. I would bring your computer, iPhone, and cables

Feb 9, 2016 1:20 PM in response to Colt on Hold

Hello there - I'm having exact same issue with macbook pro and iPhone 5s. Let me know how you make out. I talked with apple rep and they said to try a different usb cable. The one I'm using came with the iPhone and I tried it in both usb slots with same beeping results. I've been able to bring over a number of my windows files on a usb stick with no problems as long as I eject the usb stick each time. The cable charges the phone with no prob's. My wife got the same phone so I will try her cable later today.

Feb 9, 2016 2:05 PM in response to scotthsotl

Good luck! My daughters iPhone had the same issue! And so did my husbands. I tried the SMC trick but that did.t help...... I will phone Apple support tomorrow. I also have a problem with the Migration Assistant that cannot connect to my old Macbook and I also have a problem with migrating Photos (all the photos are there on my new Macbook but I've lost all events, albums and faces....... I will keep you posted. Hope you resolve your problems. Ciao

iPhone 5s keeps beeping when plugged in to new MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.