Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with Hebrew Punctuation in Pages for Mac

I work on an iMac running OS X 10.11.3. I recently purchased the current version of Pages, primarily for using in Hebrew, which is written from right to left. I had a Hebrew keyboard installed already, but the bi-directional button did not appear. I can change the text direction manually from the Format menu. HOWEVER, when I type a punctuation mark such as a period, a comma, a question mark, etc., the punctuation mark jumps to the right hand beginning of the line. It goes back to its intended place when I type another letter, EXCEPT when I hit return. Then it stays at the beginning of the line instead of at the end of the sentence.

Like this: הבאנו שלום עליכם. The period should appear at the end of the sentence, going from right to left, instead it appears before the sentence begins, at the extreme right.

I tried everything I could think of to make this problem disappear, but with no success. So the program remains useless for Hebrew. Can anyone help? This would be greatly appreciated.

Gil Morahg

iMac (17-inch Late 2006), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 12:59 PM

12 replies

Feb 11, 2016 2:26 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hi Tom,

I'm using the Hebrew QWERTY keyboard and the Arial Hebrew font. I added the Arabic keyboard as you suggested and the bi-directional button did appear. That's when I discovered the problem with the punctuation. It does not occur with the Arabic.

I was away from the program for a few days. When I opened it again, the bi-directional button was gone. When I switched to Arabic, the writing direction changed to the right automatically. Not for the Hebrew. I had to use the Reverse Text Direction function in Format menu. That's fine. But the punctuation problem is still there.

Gil

Feb 11, 2016 3:42 PM in response to gmorahg

On my machine punctuation never appears at the right of a line, only at the left end, photo below.

Try setting up a new user account and see if the problem remains when you are logged into that. This might help isolate what is causing your problem. I don't think I have seen anyone else reporting it. Any chance you have something extra installed on your machine that could interfere with text operations? More than one version of Arial Hebrew?

User uploaded file

Feb 11, 2016 4:13 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

I'm not sure what you mean by opening a new user account. For Pages? How do I do that?

I don't know if I have something installed that interferes with text operation. Is there a way to check that?

I have been using Mellel for Hebrew until now and there is no problem there, although it doesn't export smoothly into a Word file, which what I was hoping Pages would do when I have to send Hebrew to PC users.

I don't seem to have more than one version of Arial Hebrew. The same problem occurs regardless of the font I use.

Feb 11, 2016 4:27 PM in response to gmorahg

gmorahg wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by opening a new user account. For Pages? How do I do that?

It's a new user account for your machine as a whole.

OS X El Capitan: Set up users on your Mac

Regarding compatibility with Windows Word users, Pages can also be less than perfect, you just have to test with your specific content. Another option would be the free Office clone LibreOffice.

PS Could you send me a screen shot like the one I posted above which shows the period over at the right of the line. (tom at bluesky dot org)

Feb 11, 2016 6:32 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks, Tom. I think we are making progress. I created a new account and when I selected Hebrew as my additional keyboard it gave me three options: Hebrew, Hebrew PC and Hebrew QWERTY. I selected them all and when I used Hebrew QWERTY it worked just fine! Previously, in my original Administrator account, I didn't get the three options. I got only one: Hebrew. Does this tell us anything?

I truly appreciate your help. Here is the screen shot you asked for:

User uploaded file

Feb 11, 2016 7:06 PM in response to gmorahg

gmorahg wrote:

when I used Hebrew QWERTY it worked just fine! Previously, in my original Administrator account, I didn't get the three options. I got only one: Hebrew. Does this tell us anything?

It seems there is something seriously wrong with your original account. Sometimes such things can be fixed by moving Home/Library/Preferences to your desktop and restarting, so as to regenerate new account preferences, but I have doubts that could fix the punctuation problem. It might be easier to just move your activity to the account which works properly. Another thing you could try is to download and install the combo updater for 10.11.3 (assuming you have not already used this). That would fix any glitches caused by earlier stepwise OS updates.

Download OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 Combo Update

Feb 12, 2016 7:23 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks, Tom. You are a great help. I don't think I have a 3rd party spellchecker installed. Mellel doesn't seem to have one and I'm not aware of any other possibility for one. I will follow your suggestions about restoring my original account to full functionality, but at least now I have an account on which I can do all my work in Hebrew and I am very grateful for your expert help on this matter,

Gil

Problem with Hebrew Punctuation in Pages for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.