Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp and security

I have just installed Windows 10 using Boot Camp, for the sole purpose of testing the Windows version of an application I am developing. It was always my impression that this would create a completely separate system, and that neither OS would have any access to the other's partition or files. So I was surprised to find a 'BOOTCAMP' drive icon on my Mac desktop, giving access to all files on the Windows partition.

My concerns/questions are as follows:

1 Does Windows have access to files on my OS X partition? I don't want this as I don't want Microsoft and others being able to access my file (as their EULA permits), and IMHO Windows has generally lax security, especially with an unencripted partition.

2 Given that OS X can access the Windows parition, is there any chance that Windows malware could end up running in OS X?

My system: early 2015 rMBP; OS X 10.11.3 with FileVault 2 enabled, Windows 10 with no encription.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 4:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 5:46 AM

samuelfromaberdeen wrote:

1 Does Windows have access to files on my OS X partition? I don't want this as I don't want Microsoft and others being able to access my file (as their EULA permits), and IMHO Windows has generally lax security, especially with an unencripted partition.

If you installed the Boot Camp drivers on Windows (if you did not, you should install them ASAP), Windows can read your OS X partition but it cannot write, and viceversa. Apple included a basic HFS+ driver in Windows that lets you access your files from OS X but keeping them safe by not allowing Windows to write in the OS X part of your hard drive.

2 Given that OS X can access the Windows parition, is there any chance that Windows malware could end up running in OS X?

As you could see above, Windows cannot write files in your OS X partition, so there's no risk of that.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2016 5:46 AM in response to samuelfromaberdeen

If you installed the Boot Camp drivers on Windows (if you did not, you should install them ASAP), Windows can read your OS X partition but it cannot write, and viceversa. Apple included a basic HFS+ driver in Windows that lets you access your files from OS X but keeping them safe by not allowing Windows to write in the OS X part of your hard drive.

As you could see above, Windows cannot write files in your OS X partition, so there's no risk of that.

Feb 12, 2016 5:55 AM in response to mende1

Thanks mende1 for your quick and helpful response. I should have made it clear that I don't want Windows being able to READ or write to/from the Mac partition for privacy reasons. I wonder if there is any way to achieve this? Perhaps by removing/disabling the HFS+ driver or removing the FileVault encription key from Windows so Windows can't get past FileVault? I'd prefer something that blocks Windows access from the Mac side so Windows can't just download and install some software that overrides my preference, without me even knowing about it.

It astonishes me that Apple doesn't realise privacy is a key reason (no pun intended) for many people buying their products, and at least give you the option during Boot Camp setup of not allowing Windows to access the Mac partition.

Feb 12, 2016 3:04 PM in response to samuelfromaberdeen

Update: I just booted into Windows and had a look for the Mac partition but couldn't see it anywhere. I looked in 'This PC', and under 'Devices and drives' the only things listed were Boot Camp (with the windows system and file space), USB drive and DVD RW drive. No Mac drive.

Some on the web have suggested that FileVault prevents access from Windows. I'd be very grateful if anyone could advise on whether this is (reliably) the case?

I went ahead and (I hope) disabled the AppleMNT.sys and AppleHFS.sys drivers by renaming and moving them.

I'm still a little concerned that the Mac partition might just be hidden from me in File Explorer, and that Windows might still be able to access it. Is there a way I can verify whether this is the case? I.e. somewhere I can look for the Mac partition in Windows where I would definitely find it if Windows has access?

Thanks

Feb 13, 2016 1:54 PM in response to Loner T

When you say "...it may be possible to let..."; do you mean 'it may be possible for me to let...' by first 'reverting' it, or do you mean 'it may be possible for someone else to let...' without my knowlege or permission? From my reading it looked like I would have to run 'diskutil cs revert', thus unwrapping the HFS+ volume, in Terminal on the Mac side to allow access from the Windows side, thus meaning that only someone with my password/encription key could do this. Am I correct?

Feb 13, 2016 4:09 PM in response to samuelfromaberdeen

No one else other than you can revert it, because it requires Administrative access to your Mac. The command you list is the correct one.

Here is in example of a Revertible CS LVG/LV.

diskutil cs list

CoreStorage logical volume groups (1 found)

|

+-- Logical Volume Group BA505F54-9967-4941-87E8-46117F75918B

=========================================================

Name: Macintosh HD

Size: 459362963456 B (459.4 GB)

Free Space: 10653696 B (10.7 MB)

|

+-< Physical Volume EC4CFF1A-3069-4530-A16B-394EAEBB3A68

| ----------------------------------------------------

| Index: 0

| Disk: disk0s2

| Status: Online

| Size: 459362963456 B (459.4 GB)

|

+-> Logical Volume Family 3D067CCE-3290-4E38-8FC0-B878D9E9484B

----------------------------------------------------------

Encryption Type: AES-XTS

Encryption Status: Unlocked

Conversion Status: Complete

High Level Queries: Fully Secure

| Passphrase Required

| Accepts New Users

| Has Visible Users

| Has Volume Key

|

+-> Logical Volume 718153C9-E45C-4D8B-BA3A-0FE5DEAA1D8C

---------------------------------------------------

Disk: disk1

Size (Total): 458999988224 B (459.0 GB)

Revertible: Yes (unlock and decryption required)

LV Name: Macintosh HD

Volume Name: Macintosh HD

Content Hint: Apple_HFS

Bootcamp and security

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.