Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External HDD won't free up space.

Hello,

I got my Macbook Pro back in 2014 and as part of the deal from Apple I got a 1Tb HDD to go with it. If I delete files on my Mac's internal HDD then I get that space back. If I delete files on the external HDD nothing happens, the files are trashed but the remaining space remains unchanged. The same happens with my memory stick. Have I set these two devices up wrong? How do I get them to free up space without formatting them and starting again?

Many thanks.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), 16Gb, 256Gb SSD

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 10:23 AM

Hi One Brain Cell:

Plug the external drive back into the computer, then empty the Trash bin.

Then check to see if space is free up.

Same for USB stick.

4 replies

Feb 12, 2016 10:25 AM in response to KimUserName

Thank you so much Kim. Ugh, I feel so stupid! All this time I've been sending files to the trash, but not emptying the trash at the time! Then I would shut down the computer or disconnect the external HDD (and memory stick) and wonder why there had been no change!

Again, thank you. That's one less thing I need to worry about now, I shall trash away (and empty at the same time)! 😁

I think I got it into my head a long time ago that a memory stick couldn't have its contents removed, you could only add to it and then reformat if you wanted to get that space back. When I saw my external HDD acting similarly I figured the same thing. Funny how such blind spots can warp you!

External HDD won't free up space.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.