Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible fix for Date and Time 1 Jan 1970 Bug?

I fell for a scam currently floating around the Internet, this scam of changing the date and time of an IPhone to 1 Jan 1970 has rendered my IPhone to get stuck in a boot cycle. people are using the term "brick" for the bugs nature. i was inquiring if there is any fix?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 2:57 AM

22 replies

Feb 14, 2016 7:36 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

DFU Mode is not advised by Apple. When the device fully drains all of its internal charge the clock will reset internally. (dead to the point of not showing the "plug in to charge," symbol and sometimes more.) This will resolve the issue. the device will likely not restore if placed into DFU mode.

The Genius Bar has a work flow for repairing this issue in store by disconnecting the battery which will reset the internal clock.

When the internal clock is reset due to full discharge the phone will boot back up unless a DFU was attempted. If DFU was attempted the device will not boot back up and will have to be restored.

Hope this helps.

Feb 14, 2016 8:19 AM in response to Westmond

Westmond wrote:

DFU Mode is not advised by Apple. When the device fully drains all of its internal charge the clock will reset internally. (dead to the point of not showing the "plug in to charge," symbol and sometimes more.) This will resolve the issue. the device will likely not restore if placed into DFU mode.

The Genius Bar has a work flow for repairing this issue in store by disconnecting the battery which will reset the internal clock.

When the internal clock is reset due to full discharge the phone will boot back up unless a DFU was attempted. If DFU was attempted the device will not boot back up and will have to be restored.

Hope this helps.

Cite your source where DFU mode is not advised by Apple.

Thanks to Malcolm J. Rayfield: in I bricked my iphone accidentaly by change time to 1970 jan 1st. What should i do to not lose anything from it?

DFU mode is described if the left column of page 5 in this Apple document:

https://www.apple.com/business/docs/iOS_Security_Guide.pdf

Possible fix for Date and Time 1 Jan 1970 Bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.