Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Determined I can upgrade to Maverick from 10.6.8. When I upgrade will I still have my existing Mac Mail and Chrome bookmarks?

Determine I can upgrade to Maverick from 10.6.8. When I upgrade will it save my MacMail file and Chrome bookmarks?

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 11:48 AM

A) you should always have a backup (preferably 2) before doing any upgrade.

B) OS X upgrades do not delete user data (but things can always go wrong, which is why you should have backups)

C) Mavericks is no longer available for new downloads.

If you have previously downloaded Mavericks, then it will be available in your App Store -> Purchases. If you never downloaded Mavericks, then you can ONLY download El Capitan for free, or you can buy a redemption code for Lion 10.7 or Mountain Lion 10.8 from the on-line Apple.com store.

If you must have Mavericks, then the other option is to go to an Apple Store and see if they will install it for you (make a Genius Bar appointment first).

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2016 11:48 AM in response to jhmetzger

A) you should always have a backup (preferably 2) before doing any upgrade.

B) OS X upgrades do not delete user data (but things can always go wrong, which is why you should have backups)

C) Mavericks is no longer available for new downloads.

If you have previously downloaded Mavericks, then it will be available in your App Store -> Purchases. If you never downloaded Mavericks, then you can ONLY download El Capitan for free, or you can buy a redemption code for Lion 10.7 or Mountain Lion 10.8 from the on-line Apple.com store.

If you must have Mavericks, then the other option is to go to an Apple Store and see if they will install it for you (make a Genius Bar appointment first).

Feb 13, 2016 12:02 PM in response to BobHarris

Thanks. I just checked my notes and find that I gave you wrong information. I can upgrade to El Capitan, not Maverick. So assume I can just select software upgrade and get El Capitan. I know I will probably have to get new printer since old HP Deskjet from 2009 probably won't have driver for new OS. Not sure about Word 12.3.0. Will have to check on that. Appreciate your support.

Feb 14, 2016 11:16 AM in response to jhmetzger

After backing up, go to the App Store, sign in, and download El Capitan.

Check to make sure your applications are compatible. PowerPC applications are no longer supported after 10.6.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

El Capitan 10.11 Compatibility information

You might be able to find a driver here.

Gimp - Print

HPIJS for Mac OS X

PrintFab

Feb 14, 2016 8:33 AM in response to jhmetzger

As Eric Root says, backup. Please backup. 99 plus a lot of .999's percent of upgrades go fine. But life is not always fair, so you want that backup just in case (2 backups to 2 separate devices using 2 different backup utilities would be even better 🙂).

Also, when you download El Capitan, you can quit the installer at the very beginning, if when you download is not convenient for installing. Applications -> "Install OS X El Capitan" will be waiting for you to do the install at a later time.

And if you want to keep a copy of the installer (say to install on another Mac, or to make a bootable USB thumbdrive with an El Capitan).

Determined I can upgrade to Maverick from 10.6.8. When I upgrade will I still have my existing Mac Mail and Chrome bookmarks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.