Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unknown Sharing Location

I've restarted my phone a few times, tried to stop sharing the location, nothing fixes it. Is it a bug or virus?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iPhone 5c

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 8:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2017 8:53 AM

I just had the empty messages too, and then realised that I have used UBER MINI CAB APP, it is automatically used my locations to find me and kept what by my location. So if you any kind of app that let 3rd party to find your location, then make sure you closed or sign out properly..

12 replies

May 9, 2017 3:54 PM in response to kfj34

Hi, I also had the same exact problem last year. It was an empty text at the bottom of my messages and it wouldn't allow me to stop sharing my location with it. Thing is, I had someone stalking and harassing me at the time and I believed it to be a virus he somehow put in my phone so he can track me. I have no proof but I am almost sure of it

Feb 26, 2016 2:00 PM in response to kmart322

Hi,

I also have the exact same problem. I'm with Verizon as well but using an iPhone 6S. I'm been searching the internet for any thread and this is the only one I've found. I'm hoping others will come forward if they've been able to resolve this situation.

Kmart322, have you disabled any of your share location features?

Thanks,

AB

Mar 23, 2016 1:23 AM in response to kmart322

Hi, I have spottet a similar, if not the same, issue:

I found a blank text messeage at the bottom of my message list. It had no content (no text, no date information, no information about to and from). When I opened the message for details "send my current location" was in blue text and "stop sharing my location" was greyed out. The sender was there shown as "unknown". I quickly deleted the message, as I thought of it to be a bug or a virus. The issue is also described here: Blank message

I do not have "share my location" activated on my device, which is a Iphone 5c, iOS9.3

Has anyone figured out was this could be?

May 13, 2016 7:18 PM in response to kmart322

same issue here with no solution. I've been to the Apple Store 3 times and talked to Apple support. I restored the phone and even got a new phone from Apple. my husband's phone did the same and eventually started getting white lines flickering at the top and became unresponsive. Got a new iphone and set up as new. Once I entered his Apple ID, the new phone started flickering and becoming unresponsive. Could it be a virus on iCloud??

May 25, 2016 1:33 PM in response to kmart322

I'm having the same issues here. They only appear on my iPhone 6 (AT&T) and not on the linked iPad or Mac Pro's iMessage. The funny thing is that if you go to "Details" and send location to the blank message, then all other connected devices will show a "New Message" to a blank individual -- that's the only way i can see the issue on other devices (second screenshot).

@ATTCares has said that they're looking into the issue -- which ("they say") they've never seen before. I'll update if i find some progress.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jun 17, 2016 1:04 PM in response to kmart322

Hi,

I'm with AT&T and also experiencing this problem on my iPhone 6S. At first I thought it might somehow have something to do with connecting to bluetooth devices because it usually happened about the same time I was connecting my speaker or headphones to my phone. I know it doesn't make sense as an explanation but that was the only thing that was happening around the same time the messages would show up. I now get them anytime, sometimes I wake up to them first thing in the morning when I haven't even been on my phone for hours. As others have said, the fact that it appears to be sending messages and/or locations to some unknown source is the most unsettling part. I always select "Stop sharing my location" and then delete the messages but then I get new ones after a few hours, sometimes a few days. When I started noticing this problem, I had location services enabled but only for a few select apps (running, weather). I turned on Find Friends for a while when I needed it but have since disabled that feature. Restarting the phone, deleting the messages, enabling/disabling any location features...Nothing seems to work. I really hope Apple addresses this issue soon.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Unknown Sharing Location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.