Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Apple help with Icloud locked Ipads?

First off, i am disabled and wanted to get my kids something nice. I found a deal on OfferUp for 3 Ipad mini's and purchased them. They were all on the first setup screen as if they were new. I drove home excited and went to activate them and it is stuck on the activation screen. I have searched up and down trying to find a solution for this and have not found a thing. I feel very cheated and not only by the person who sold these to me but by Apple also. Their is thousands of people dealing with this from what i have read and it is wrong.

Right now i just want to know if Apple actually helps with getting these going again or not and yes, i have all the emails and screenshots to prove that i bought these from the guy on OfferUp. Thanks for the answers.

iPad Mini, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 2:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 2:55 AM

They will only potentially help if you were the original purchaser of the iPad and had proof of purchase (e.g. original receipt with their serial numbers on it) - they won't help with second hand devices, you will have to contact the person that you bought them from, only he/she can potentially remove them from their account (Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support).

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2016 2:55 AM in response to Adriansitos

They will only potentially help if you were the original purchaser of the iPad and had proof of purchase (e.g. original receipt with their serial numbers on it) - they won't help with second hand devices, you will have to contact the person that you bought them from, only he/she can potentially remove them from their account (Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support).

Feb 14, 2016 11:58 AM in response to Adriansitos

First off, Apple is not cheating you, it's making it impossible for people who buy stolen iPads to use them. I'm not saying that the ones you bought are, but it is the obligation of the seller to completely reset them and remove all traces of the original owner, a task which requires the original owners' Apple IDs and passwords. If this was not done before you bought them there is nothing you or Apple can do about it.In that case, you were ripped off by the reseller and should demand your money back. This is a good reminder as to why one should never hand over money until verifying that the device is ready for a new owner. It is now dangerous to buy Apple mobile devices secondhand over the internet from any site that does not offer a 100% satisifaction guarantee. In-person only.

Feb 14, 2016 3:38 PM in response to sallenmd

So why does Apple ask for the serial numbers/imei and confirms they are not stolen? They made a website to also confirm they ain't stolen also so with proper proof of purchase, it should not be an issue to unlock them and yes they can do something about it. The guy asked for the "original receipt and i would be able to unlock them remotlry for you"? All they care about is a new customer and not people who are out using their products currently. You are right that i should have set one up but i am newer to apple and i didnt know any of this crap. My wifes iphone was a store buy and our macbook was aquired through a trade. I never had to deal with any of this.

Feb 14, 2016 3:40 PM in response to Adriansitos

I CALLED APPLE

I am going to say that the term "apple customor support" is a crock of sh*t!

They asked for all of the serial numbers so i gave them those. After a while the guy on the phone comes back excited because THEY ARE NOT STOLEN. At that point i started to turn my frown upside down up until that meant nothing changes.... HE OFFERED ME ZERO SUPPORT!!! They offer no realistic way of getting these unlocked. They want the name and pasword, a little foolish since i can unlock/activate them myself at that point or the original sales receipt. He had zero intrest in hearing anything about my proof of purchase. He didn't care at all about anything. I didnt even get a "im sorry you are going through this" no comassion, nothing at all.

I WILL NEVER AGAIN PURCHASE ANY APPLE PRODUCT NEW OR USED.

Feb 14, 2016 3:45 PM in response to Adriansitos

You have funneled your anger in the wrong direction. You should be angry at the seller, or the company that hosted the sale. There is someone out there knowing they have sold you merchandise that you cannot use, and are enjoying the cash you provided them. As you found, there are pages from Apple that allow you to check for Activation Lock, which is what you have encountered, and you needed to check that before completing your transaction. As you were told earlier, Apple will only unlock the device for the original owner since that is the only owner they can verify. As you have found, it is very easy for devices to change hands. Put as much effort into finding this person that sold you the devices as you have in posting your complaints about Apple and its policies.

Does Apple help with Icloud locked Ipads?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.