Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5s blue screen of death

I was using my fone when it had unexpectedly shut off. It rebooted and was in the rebooting screen for about a minute then a blue scren appeared. It continued to repeat this cycle over and over. Then i tried to restore it and update with the latest version of itunes and i got errors, 4005 and 21. ANyone have any idea what i can do ?

Posted on Feb 15, 2016 4:18 PM

4 replies

Feb 15, 2016 5:21 PM in response to christophera1205

A DFU restore will usually recover the phone:

• Install the latest version of iTunes on your computer if it isn't there already ( (you must have Windows 7 or later or OS X 10.8.5 or later)
  • Reboot your computer
  • Disable any antivirus and firewalls
  • Launch iTunes
  • Connect the device cable to a USB port on the computer (not to a USB hub), but DO NOT CONNECT TO THE DEVICE YET
  • Press and hold the HOME and SLEEP buttons at the same time for exactly 10 seconds, until the screen turns black, then release the SLEEP button but continue holding the HOME button. If an Apple logo appears while holding both buttons you held for too long; start over.
  • While still holding the HOME button connect the other end of the cable to the device
  • You should see a message in iTunes saying a phone in Recovery mode has been detected (it may take up to a minute for the message to appear). When you see that message release the HOME button and the device should restore. When asked DO NOT restore a backup; set up as a new phone.

Try several times if it doesn't work the first time; getting it into DFU mode is tricky.

Feb 15, 2016 7:59 PM in response to christophera1205

Ive seen this happen when there has been a problem with the phone's NAND (memory) chip. If that's the case it can at times be fixed by reflowing the memory chip (which removes any cracks which may have formed in the solder joints).

As Philly said, try restoring the phone first. If no luck then you have two options:

1. take it to Apple for an Out Of Warranty Replacement.

2. find an independent repairer who is capable of reflowing said chip.

Feb 16, 2016 2:06 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Way to go Philly_Phan! He's right. There is a difference between a recovery mode restore and a DFU mode restore. In the absence of 5s long screw damage from a recent screen replacement (mixing up the screws) or failure of the tristar/U2 charging logic ic, or battery connector area filters, the most likely cause of 5s BSOD is simple software corruption.

A DFU restore will resolve if there is no underlying hardware defect. Use Philly's instructions to make sure you are initiating the restore from DFU (blank screen) and not recovery mode (connect to iTunes logo).

If the restore still fails, then the most likely candidate becomes damage to the tristar (U2) chip on the board from use of non-Apple charging cables. With U2 failure, you will typically see iTunes error 9 (dropped usb connection which is one of the functions of the chip) but other errors are possible. The U2 chip can be changed on the logic board by a qualified microsolderer experienced in iPhone board repair.

Please note that pursuing independent repair options may void your Out of Warranty Swap option to turn in your phone and pay $269 for a refurbished iPhone 5s, although I have never seen that happen. The common value of a good condition 5s currently is less than $269

Iphone 5s blue screen of death

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.