Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use Apple Watch on leg

Hi

Can I use my Apple Watch on my ankle, so that I can use Health & Fitness.

That's because i have a work were it's not alloud at have a watch on.

Best regards
Johnny *******

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Posted on Feb 16, 2016 2:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2018 5:53 PM

Jonathan, I have seen this response several times from you when people who cannot wear the watch on their wrist have asked sincerely what their options are. I get it that the optimal place to wear it is on the wrist.

Is there any other response that allows a dialogue from you or Apple researchers or users on other options? I work in the OR and cannot wear the watch on my wrist. What I would like to hear are some ideas, options from others on what they have tried and what the researchers have found. What has worked and what hasn't and why or why not. Don't need a canned response.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2018 5:53 PM in response to Jonathan UK

Jonathan, I have seen this response several times from you when people who cannot wear the watch on their wrist have asked sincerely what their options are. I get it that the optimal place to wear it is on the wrist.

Is there any other response that allows a dialogue from you or Apple researchers or users on other options? I work in the OR and cannot wear the watch on my wrist. What I would like to hear are some ideas, options from others on what they have tried and what the researchers have found. What has worked and what hasn't and why or why not. Don't need a canned response.

Jan 4, 2018 4:47 PM in response to NI5M0

I work in theatres and I wear mine either on my bicep or my ankle depending on how busy we are I do this using a special band designed for the Apple Watch! It fits in like a bumper case so protects the outside

And

Hold it first to your skin I find my steps and heart rate work if ne in this strap as well. Search action strap for Apple watch

Hope this helps

Jan 22, 2018 11:01 PM in response to NI5M0

I can't speak to the accuracy of the sensors around your ankle (though I know people who do it) but here's a couple bands you might find interesting. They are super long (especially the Nylon NATO) and designed for people with extra large wrists or those who have a need to wear their Apple Watch over gloves, around ankles, forearms, etc.

Amazon.com: Apple Watch Band 42mm XXL NYLON NATO iWatch Band for Extra Large Wrists & Ankles! 11 inch Long Custom Sizabl…

Amazon.com: XL/XXL TIRE TREAD Soft Silicone Apple Watch Band 42mm Black Rubber Sport iWatch Strap for Extra Large Wrists…

Jan 4, 2018 5:31 AM in response to jhgutt

jhgutt wrote:

.. I work in the OR and cannot wear the watch on my wrist. ..

I suggest that you consider not wearing your Apple Watch in the OR at all.

Like iPhone, Apple Watch can potentially negatively affect electronic medical equipment.

Apple Watch emits both radio frequency interference and electromagnetic fields.

The Important safety information in the Apple Watch User Guide includes:

Radio frequency interference

Observe signs and notices that prohibit or restrict the use of electronic devices (for example, in healthcare facilities or blasting areas). Although Apple Watch, the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Cable, the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Case, and the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock are designed, tested, and manufactured to comply with regulations governing radio frequency emissions, such emissions from Apple Watch, the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Cable, the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Case, and the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock can negatively affect the operation of other electronic equipment, causing them to malfunction. Unplug the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Cable, the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Case, and the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock, and turn off Apple Watch or use Airplane Mode when use is prohibited, such as while traveling in aircraft, or when asked to do so by authorities.

Medical device interference

Apple Watch contains components and radios that emit electromagnetic fields. Apple Watch, some of the bands, the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Cable, the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Case, and the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock contain magnets. These electromagnetic fields and magnets may interfere with pacemakers, defibrillators, or other medical devices. Maintain a safe distance of separation between your medical device and Apple Watch, its bands, the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Cable, the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Case, and the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock. Consult your physician and medical device manufacturer for information specific to your medical device. Stop using Apple Watch, its bands, the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Cable, the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Case, and the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock if you suspect they are interfering with your pacemaker, defibrillator, or any other medical device.

More information:

Feb 16, 2016 3:35 AM in response to NI5M0

Apparently there could be reasons why they aren't saying...

Does Apple Watch have ankle tracker to count steps?

Fitness bands such as the Nike+ that fit the wrist, was also

asked by some if it would work on the ankle. Not without a

few issues, in accuracy and durability. Plus band length to

go around the ankle. Some found heart-rate didn't work as

an anklet but did as a wrist watch.

{The Apple Watch sensors are designed for use on the top

of your wrist ... Users of other fitness wrist products found

they did not work on ankle, & put them in/over a sock to not

let them try to count erroneous 'steps' incorrect as distance.}

A search engine (varies by use of words and sequence) may

be helpful if you have patience; most results I see are for the

other fitbit or older fitness products prior to Apple Watch...

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=can+you+wear+apple+watch+on+ankle

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=can+you+wear+apple+watch+on+ankle&t=ffsb

A few places online seem to have asked a vaguely similar Watch

question; & fewer still, appear in Apple community discussions.

Maybe someone will see this and start a trend. Especially if they

aren't allowed a 'wrist' watch. An 'ankle' watch may not be allowed

either if it starts making a ruckus and gets you found out.

Good luck with your Apple (ankle) Watch! 🙂

Use Apple Watch on leg

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.