Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iTunes say my iPhone 6s needs to be updated to iOS 9.2.1

iTunes says my iPhone 6s needs to be updated to iOS 9.2.1 despite the fact that it is already on iOS 9.2.1. The phone's Software Update shows it up to date, yet iTunes seems to think it is not. What to do?

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 16 GB Ram; 480 GB SSD

Posted on Feb 21, 2016 8:42 PM

41 replies

Feb 21, 2016 9:02 PM in response to Niel

Gail, all I did was plug my phone into my laptop to charge it. As I said, iTunes activated normally and it indicates my phone needs to be updated to 9.2.1 despite the fact that it is already on iOS 9.2.1. The phone's Software Update shows it up to date.

Neil, where did you learn that? I have not heard anything about 9.2.1 being revised without changing the update number. Isn't it odd that iTunes says an update is needed, but the phone does not?

Also, I decided to go ahead and initiate the update via iTunes. Whatever it is, it is downloading now. I'm currently on a slow connection, so it indicates 4 more hours to go.

Feb 21, 2016 9:06 PM in response to AMCarter3

What version of iTunes are you running?

Also, have you recently experienced an Error 53?

From Apple:

For anyone who experienced error 53, Apple has released an update to iOS 9.2.1 to allow you to successfully restore your device using iTunes on your Mac or PC. Use the steps in this article to restore and recover your device. If you believe that you paid for an out-of-warranty device replacement based on an error 53 issue, contact Apple Support to ask about reimbursement.

Here's a link to the entire article: If you see error 53 and your iPhone or iPad gets stuck on the 'Connect to iTunes' screen - Apple Support

Cheers,

GB

Feb 22, 2016 12:11 PM in response to AMCarter3

Exact same thing happening to me today.

iPhone 6S+

iPhone Version: 9.2.1

iTunes Version: 12.3.2.35

When I connect my iPhone to my Macbook and launch iTunes, it asks if I want to update to version 9.2.1. On the Summary Tab, it says:

iOS 9.2.1

A new version of the iPhone software is available (version 9.2.1). To update your iPhone with the latest software, click Update.

Note: when I go to Settings > General > Software Update on my iPhone it says, "iOS 9.2.1 / Your software is up to date."

Very strange.

Feb 22, 2016 12:55 PM in response to steelei

steelei wrote:

That is very poor version control. Thanks for the info.

It was quite intentional. It's because it was a special kind of update, called a slipstream update. It only appears if you plug your phone into iTunes. To have two different version numbers, one for people who updated OTA and the other for people who updated by plugging into iTunes would be far more confusing.

You probably don't remember the confusion when a special version of iOS was released for CDMA phones (this was the iPhone 4) but not for GSM phones. People with GSM phones were upset they didn't have the "latest" version when it simply didn't apply to them.

Feb 22, 2016 1:11 PM in response to steelei

steelei wrote:

That is very poor version control. Thanks for the info.

No, it is excellent version control. A version consists of more than just the major, minor and point. The full version identifier of the latest release (which you can see if you go to Settings/General/About) is 9.2.1 (13D20) where 13D20 is the build number. The previous version was 9.2.1 (13D15). It is normal not to change the first 3 elements if the update results in no functional changes, is outside of the normal release cycle, or is an emergency response. In this case it was all 3. In source code control systems it is called a "branch" that will later be integrated into mainline code. There are already later versions in development, but this change was made to a currently deployed version because it could not wait for the normal release cycle. It will also have to be made to whatever versions are in development.

If you want to learn more about version control I suggest visiting http://git-scm.com/about.

Feb 22, 2016 3:46 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I fully disagree with your point of view, Lawrence. I assert that based on the volume of confused iPhone users this was/is VERY confusing version control. It might make sense in some Apple engineer or someone with who loves the technical details of software management, but the fact is, the VAST majority of human beings who own an iPhone are NOT educated about a subtle version update like this. The impact is a lot of wasted time.

Feb 23, 2016 6:27 AM in response to AMCarter3

AMCarter3 wrote:

I fully disagree with your point of view, Lawrence.

Larry isn't describing his opinion. He's describing how version control works and how it's used. I find it annoying that some calendars start the week on Monday but, that's ISO compliant. The calendar makers are not being any more capricious than Apple is in this case.

Why does iTunes say my iPhone 6s needs to be updated to iOS 9.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.