Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto download for osx Lion?

I have a 15" mid 2012 MacBook Pro. I did the mistake of upgrading the OSX from Mountain Lion to Yosemite. Yosemite was stupid as it was insane, among other things my Office package and Mac Mail became unbearably slow for most of the time.

Well, as a result I downgraded all the way to Lion. Now all works fine and fast, except for one thing… iPhoto is missing and I cannot find a download anywhere. The App store lists iPhoto among previously purchased apps, but as soon as I click it states that I need to have Yosemite or later installed in order to run it.

So where can I get my hands on iPhoto for Lion? I will NOT upgrade to Yosemite again.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 22, 2016 11:41 AM

25 replies

Feb 22, 2016 11:50 AM in response to lordi

If you purchased it using your Apple ID, then it should be on your Purchases page from which you can download it again. iPhoto is no available unless you also had purchased it.

Hate to tell you that there are no issues to be had with Mountain Lion, Yosemite, or the now current El Capitan. There are only user or system problems when upgrading.

Basic Steps for Upgrading OS X

Basic Steps to Follow for a Clean Install of OS X Lion and Later

Feb 22, 2016 8:31 PM in response to lordi

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 2:21 PM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Feb 22, 2016 11:39 PM in response to To_Mi

This one will not work. I kind of suspected it immediately on your answer, but tested it as well. The link downloads an upgrade package, which requires you have iPhoto 9.1 already installed. This package you can in fact find from various places by googling, but it is the full install package which you cannot find.

Feb 22, 2016 11:48 PM in response to Kappy

No, this one does not work. First of all, the starting point is that I do NOT have iPhoto installed currently. iPhoto was gone at the moment I downgraded to Lion. The second part of the instructions "Install the App from the App Store." does not work as described in my very first post, and then again in my follow-up post with the screen shot attached.

Feb 22, 2016 11:53 PM in response to lordi

You cannot reinstall iPhoto from the App Store, because your Mac can run Yosemite and so the App Store will only offer you the latest version to reinstall.

yyou could purchase an iLife ' 11 installer DvD from Amazon, if you cannot find an older installer on a snow leopard installer disk, or try to copy an older iPhoto application from an Oder backup.then use the updates from the Support page. but if you opened your iPhoto library while you were running Yosemite in iPhoto 9.6.1, you cannot open it any longer in the earlier version.

Feb 23, 2016 12:53 AM in response to lordi

There is another problem with iPhoto on Mountain Lion. It keeps crashing, if your photos have locations assigned. You either have to work off-line, so iPhoto cannot try to contact Google's locations database and map server, or you have to patch the application. Only iPhoto 9.5.1 and later are still working well, because they no longer are using Google's servers.

See this user tip, how to make iPhoto 9.4.3 or earlier work, if you want to be able to use it while online: iPhoto 9.4 crashing when viewing Places

Trying to keep Lion or Mt. Lion alive will be a lot of trouble, if you want to use iPhoto.

Feb 23, 2016 10:05 AM in response to léonie

I could also use some advice regarding iPhoto.

When I purchased my 2011 Mac Mini with Lion back in August of 2011, I wanted to keep compatibility with my iPhoto '09 library on my then Snow Leopard 2009 MacBook Pro. So I downgraded my iPhoto '11 on the Mac Mini to iPhoto '09 and it is currently at version 8.1.2, as is my MacBook Pro, which I subsequently upgraded to Lion as well.

Now I want to be able to have more control over what photos I take on my iPhone 6+ and which go into the My Photo Stream which I use for the screen saver on my AppleTV2. I am told I need to upgrade back to iPhoto '11 for that purpose.

I am about to upgrade back to iPhoto '11, as soon as my Time Machine backup is complete.

Any other considerations I should think about before I make this move back to iPhoto '11?

FYI: I have Snow Leopard, Yosemite and El Capitan in separate bootable partitions. I have not as yet set up iPhoto on these partitions, although I did install iPhoto '11 on El Capitan (in lieu of Photos) in contemplation of moving to a consistent version of iPhoto.

Feb 23, 2016 10:43 AM in response to MlchaelLAX

In which partition do you want to use iPhoto, Michael?

Your SnowLeopard partition can only run iPhoto 9.2.4, whereas the Yosemite and El Cap partition require iPhoto 9.6.1. You would not be able to use the same library in all partitions.

I would repair your iPhoto Library before you upgrade it to iPhoto '11. The migration will be smoother.

Feb 23, 2016 10:50 AM in response to léonie

My primary partition of choice continues to be Lion, which was shipped with this Mac Mini and has operated with much speed and stability for me all these years.

The Snow Leopard partition is only when I have to run PowerPC applications.

Yosemite and El Capitan are primarily experimental so that I can get my "hands dirty" with the latest versions of OS X.

What do you mean by"repair" of my iPhoto Library? It functions perfectly now on iPhoto '09 and I actually continue to use iPhoto Library Manager, to access other iPhoto Libraries that I created so that I do not have to access one extremely large library.

Feb 23, 2016 10:59 AM in response to MlchaelLAX

What do you mean by"repair" of my iPhoto Library?

There have been a few updates to iPhoto and Aperture, that have been critical, because the structure of the library changed considerably.

If the library that had to be updated to the new version had problems, the upgrade could hang or crash and result in a damaged library beyond repair. One of the critical updates was the update to the unified library with iPhoto 9.3 on Lion,that wracked several libraries, the next one was the update to iPhoto 9.5.1 on Mavericks. It is simply safer to avoid issues by repairing the library in the iPhoto version that created it before trying the update of the library.

iPhoto download for osx Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.