Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro 13 inch el capitan always show the dead ball rainbow

Right now I'm using Macbook Air 13 inch mid 2012

I once updated my iphone 4s from ios 8.0.2 to 9.1.2 using my mac and i left the mac update this all night long

But tommorrow after I tried to run my mac, it turns very slow and I finally found out that my mac always show the dead ball rainbow once it "freeze" or "hang". I have this problem whenever I run any app, try to press any of sound, brightness, stop row buttons or even write something on spotlight

I have tried several thing to retrieve my mac

1.) I tried to quit the not responding with force quit

2.) Open up activity monitor and try to quit the app that consume so much memory or %CPU running

3.) Do the disk repair

4.) Forcefully shut down the mac by pressing the power button

5.) Try to restart by using Command + alt + shift + power button or command + R + power button before my mac turn on (and other way to turn on the mac that I don't really remember

6.) Download the app "CleanMyMac3" and clear about 100gb data

7.) I have also check my internal hardisk and find that I still have 250gb of my free space memory

Anyone have idea what should I do to make my Mac turn normal? I need fast respond asap 😟

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Feb 23, 2016 2:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2016 3:40 AM

First of all, you need to uninstall CleanMyMac. That program is bad, bad news. It's fraudulent crapware, if I can be honest. You should never, never, never download any 3rd party program to delete anything from your computer, sight unseen. You have no idea what files were contained in that 100GB, and that's what makes it dangerous. Your computer has been damaged, well beyond whatever was plaguing it before you did that. Macs don't need "maintenance" software that claims to clean, organize, refresh, or optimize it. They do a great job of taking care of themselves, as far as that goes. So, before the issues you're having can be addressed, you need to completely uninstall it according to the developer's instructions. You can find them here. Do exactly what those directions say to do. If you don't, you'll have to reinstall it in order to uninstall it properly.

After you take care of that, go to http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck — download and run EtreCheck, copying the status report to paste here.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2016 3:40 AM in response to juztkevin

First of all, you need to uninstall CleanMyMac. That program is bad, bad news. It's fraudulent crapware, if I can be honest. You should never, never, never download any 3rd party program to delete anything from your computer, sight unseen. You have no idea what files were contained in that 100GB, and that's what makes it dangerous. Your computer has been damaged, well beyond whatever was plaguing it before you did that. Macs don't need "maintenance" software that claims to clean, organize, refresh, or optimize it. They do a great job of taking care of themselves, as far as that goes. So, before the issues you're having can be addressed, you need to completely uninstall it according to the developer's instructions. You can find them here. Do exactly what those directions say to do. If you don't, you'll have to reinstall it in order to uninstall it properly.

After you take care of that, go to http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck — download and run EtreCheck, copying the status report to paste here.

Feb 23, 2016 4:00 AM in response to pinkstones

That's a bit harsh. I used CleanMyMac 2 a lot when my MBP's SSD was filling up repeatedly (before I upgraded to a larger one), and I found it very useful for that purpose. It allows you to drill down so you can see what it wants to delete. I certainly did this, and customised it fairly conservatively, as I too was quite cautious to begin with. Like any tool of this nature, you need to take the time to understand what it's doing and how to use it, and this one gives you a lot of information and control if you choose to drill down—a lot better than Apple software of recent years IMO. Recently, when iTunes decided it couldn't find a particular song I was trying to play (because the external HD was temporarily disconnected), it just quietly deleted it from the database thank you very much. And don't get me started on accidental deletion of emails due to terrible notification UI in OS X. But I digress.

Feb 23, 2016 4:18 AM in response to Kalsta

Kalsta wrote:

That's a bit harsh. I used CleanMyMac 2 a lot when my MBP's SSD was filling up repeatedly (before I upgraded to a larger one), and I found it very useful for that purpose. It allows you to drill down so you can see what it wants to delete. I certainly did this, and customised it fairly conservatively, as I too was quite cautious to begin with. Like any tool of this nature, you need to take the time to understand what it's doing and how to use it, and this one gives you a lot of information and control if you choose to drill down—a lot better than Apple software of recent years IMO. Recently, when iTunes decided it couldn't find a particular song I was trying to play (because the external HD was temporarily disconnected), it just quietly deleted it from the database thank you very much. And don't get me started on accidental deletion of emails due to terrible notification UI in OS X. But I digress.

No, it's not harsh. Search these forums for CleanMyMac, MacKeeper, and all the other bogus "maintenance" programs developers are trying to scam you into installing. I'm far from the only contributor here who urges immediate removal of them from your hard drive. Much like anti-virus programs, they are utterly and completely unnecessary and damaging to your computer. You don't need them. There is no "maintenance" that needs to be done to your hard drive that the computer doesn't take care by itself, and if there was, you wouldn't need to buy or download a program to do it for you.

If people want to leave that garbage on their hard drives, ultimately we'll never know if they follow our advice or if they don't. All we can do is give them the best advice we know, which is to remove it, explain why they need to remove it, and then hope they listen. Again, if they don't, we'll never know.

Feb 23, 2016 4:35 AM in response to pinkstones

Okay, so we have differing opinions on that particular piece of software. I have used it, quite a bit. Have you?

As for all the other apps that you lump together as 'bogus', I can't really comment, because I HAVEN'T USED THEM.

One that I did buy and use years ago was Techtool Pro 4, and that caused more problems than it fixed. It reset creation dates on thousands of files to some day in the 70s if I remember correctly. What a nightmare. Back in the day Norton Utilities was excellent maintenance software for old Macs running system 7 (I'm showing my age now), but that too became obsolete and in truth pretty awful. So yes, in principle I agree with you that (1) these days the Mac doesn't normally need these things for regular maintenance, and (2) you have to be very cautious with anything that messes with your files and file structure. But sometimes users have particular needs that do require a bit more than Apple provides. CleanMyMac was a stop-gap measure for me until I had money and time to upgrade to a much larger internal SSD, and it worked well for me.

Feb 23, 2016 4:49 AM in response to Kalsta

Kalsta wrote:

Okay, so we have differing opinions on that particular piece of software. I have used it, quite a bit. Have you?

Absolutely not. Why would I use something I actively encourage other people NOT to use? Wouldn't that make me a hypocrite? I'm just a faceless name on this message board, but I'd like to maintain some credibility so people know they can listen to me and follow my advice and it won't cause their computers to blow up in their faces. I knew programs like CleanMyMac were bogus before I ever started posting here, as most products shilled by the Internet are 99% marketing anyway, and after reading what other people had to say about it, particularly users who installed that program and the others like it, only to find their computers suddenly not working properly, I realized — hey....I was right to stay away from it. So, research, paying attention, careful reading.....that's how you avoid screwing up your computer. I don't have a job right now, so I don't have the money to replace my computer should something happen to it. I can't afford to brick it by installing superfluous applications that don't do anything I can't do for myself if it really, really had to be done.

That's just my $0.02.

Feb 23, 2016 5:24 AM in response to pinkstones

Sigh. You claim to have known an app was 'bogus' without any real evidence (just a hunch really), and you figure that gives you credibility on a support forum? Then you found (again, on a support forum) some users of the app having problems and concluded, anecdotally, that you were right all along. Not very scientific my friend.

Look, here's something worth considering before you completely write off a company's product publicly without ever having used it… People generally post on these forums when they are having problems, not when they are really happy with a product. So naturally, you will always get a skewed picture here. If all you read were Apple support forums, you would have to conclude that Apple products are all as buggy as ****. I just did a Google search for 'CleanMyMac reviews', and lo and behold, what did I find? I found the product averaging between 4 and 5 stars across multiple review sites. Perhaps the company is posting their own reviews? It's possible. Or maybe it's not as bad as you assume?

BTW, the link you gave the OP (http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck) returns a a 404 Not Found error for me. Just letting you know in case it's just a typo.

Sorry juztkevin, I don't know how to solve your problem. There are many variables and many reasons a Mac could be unresponsive. I sincerely hope pinkstones can solve your problem though. I'll check out of the discussion now.

Feb 24, 2016 12:42 AM in response to juztkevin

I'm sorry my mistake. I'm using Macbook pro

This is recently what I have done since yesterday

- I have updated my os to 10.11.3

- Delete CleanMyMac3

It improves my Mac's perfomance but unfortunately the deadball still appears sometimes

I found it appears when I launch more than 1 app or open a new tab using any browser

What am I supposed to do to improve my mac?

Feb 24, 2016 2:51 AM in response to arthur

EtreCheck version: 2.9.6 (256)

Report generated 2016-02-24 18:48:20

Download EtreCheck from http://etrecheck.com

Runtime 9:49

Performance: Below Average

Click the [Support] links for help with non-Apple products.

Click the [Details] links for more information about that line.

Click the [Remove] links to remove adware.

Problem: Computer is too slow

Hardware Information: ⓘ

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

[Technical Specifications] - [User Guide] - [Warranty & Service]

MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro9,2

1 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 CPU: 2-core

8 GB RAM Upgradeable - [Instructions]

BANK 0/DIMM0

4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Good - Handoff/Airdrop2 supported

Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Battery: Health = Normal - Cycle count = 629

Video Information: ⓘ

Intel HD Graphics 4000

Color LCD 1280 x 800

System Software: ⓘ

OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 (15D21) - Time since boot: about 2 hours

Disk Information: ⓘ

TOSHIBA MK7559GSXF disk0 : (750.16 GB) (Rotational)

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

Macintosh HD (disk1) / : 748.93 GB (278.48 GB free)

Core Storage: disk0s2 749.30 GB Online

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-8A8 ()

USB Information: ⓘ

Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

Apple Inc. BRCM20702 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Apple Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)

Thunderbolt Information: ⓘ

Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Gatekeeper: ⓘ

Anywhere

Adware: ⓘ

~/Library/Application Support/com.genieoinnovation.Installer

One adware file found. [Remove]

Kernel Extensions: ⓘ

/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app

[not loaded] com.parallels.kext.hypervisor (11.0.0 31193 - SDK 10.9 - 2015-12-29) [Support]

[not loaded] com.parallels.kext.netbridge (11.0.0 31193 - SDK 10.9 - 2015-12-29) [Support]

[not loaded] com.parallels.kext.usbconnect (11.0.0 31193 - SDK 10.9 - 2015-12-29) [Support]

[not loaded] com.parallels.kext.vnic (11.0.0 31193 - SDK 10.9 - 2015-12-29) [Support]

/Applications/Smart Switch/SmartSwitch.app

[not loaded] com.devguru.driver.SamsungACMControl (1.4.32 - SDK 10.6 - 2016-02-21) [Support]

[not loaded] com.devguru.driver.SamsungACMData (1.4.32 - SDK 10.6 - 2016-02-21) [Support]

[not loaded] com.devguru.driver.SamsungComposite (1.4.32 - SDK 10.6 - 2016-02-21) [Support]

[not loaded] com.devguru.driver.SamsungMTP (1.4.32 - SDK 10.5 - 2016-02-21) [Support]

[not loaded] com.devguru.driver.SamsungSerial (1.4.32 - SDK 10.6 - 2016-02-21) [Support]

/Library/Application Support/VirtualBox

[loaded] org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv (5.0.8 - 2015-10-22) [Support]

[loaded] org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp (5.0.8 - 2015-10-22) [Support]

[loaded] org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt (5.0.8 - 2015-10-22) [Support]

[loaded] org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB (5.0.8 - 2015-10-22) [Support]

Startup Items: ⓘ

iTools: Path: /Library/StartupItems/iTools

TuxeraNTFSUnmountHelper: Path: /Library/StartupItems/TuxeraNTFSUnmountHelper

Startup items are obsolete in OS X Yosemite

System Launch Agents: ⓘ

[loaded] 162 Apple tasks

[running] 74 Apple tasks

System Launch Daemons: ⓘ

[loaded] 200 Apple tasks

[running] 87 Apple tasks

Launch Agents: ⓘ

[running] com.epson.eventmanager.agent.plist (2012-05-08) [Support]

Launch Daemons: ⓘ

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist (2015-08-07) [Support]

[loaded] com.charlessoft.pacifist.helper.plist (2016-01-06) [Support]

[loaded] com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist (2010-08-25) [Support]

[loaded] com.microsoft.office.licensingV2.helper.plist (2015-08-15) [Support]

[loaded] org.virtualbox.startup.plist (2015-10-22) [Support]

User Launch Agents: ⓘ

[loaded] com.adobe.ARM.[...].plist (2014-03-23) [Support]

[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist (2015-12-15) [Support]

[failed] com.jdibackup.ZipCloud.autostart.plist (2015-03-31) [Support] [Details]

[failed] com.jdibackup.ZipCloud.notify.plist (2015-03-31) [Support] [Details]

[loaded] com.valvesoftware.steamclean.plist (2015-12-06) [Support]

[loaded] org.virtualbox.vboxwebsrv.plist (2015-10-22) [Support]

User Login Items: ⓘ

iTunesHelper Application (/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunesHelper.app)

Adobe Reader Application (/Applications/Adobe Reader.app)

CleanMyMac 3 Menu UNKNOWN (missing value)

fuspredownloader Application Hidden (~/Library/Application Support/.FUS/fuspredownloader.app)

Other Apps: ⓘ

[running] OpenObject.fuspredownloader.120992 (2015-12-30)

[loaded] com.adobe.Reader.40992 (2015-08-17)

[running] com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000000.AdobeReader (2015-08-17)

[running] com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000001.Microsoft PowerPoint (2014-03-29)

[running] com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000004.Microsoft Word (2014-03-29)

[running] com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000007.EtreCheck (2016-02-21)

[running] org.mozilla.firefox.5792 (2016-02-24)

Internet Plug-ins: ⓘ

FlashPlayer-10.6: 18.0.0.232 - SDK 10.6 (2016-02-21) [Support]

QuickTime Plugin: 7.7.3 (2016-02-23)

AdobePDFViewerNPAPI: 11.0.12 - SDK 10.6 (2016-02-21) [Support]

AdobePDFViewer: 11.0.12 - SDK 10.6 (2016-02-21) [Support]

Flash Player: 18.0.0.232 - SDK 10.6 (2016-02-21) Outdated! Update

Default Browser: 601 - SDK 10.11 (2016-02-23)

SharePointBrowserPlugin: 14.1.0 (2014-03-29) [Support]

JavaAppletPlugin: 15.0.1 - SDK 10.11 (2014-03-29) Check version

Safari Extensions: ⓘ

extension (2015-03-31)

OpenIE (2015-10-21)

3rd Party Preference Panes: ⓘ

Flash Player (2015-08-07) [Support]

MacFUSE (2008-12-20) [Support]

Perian (2011-07-24) [Support]

Tuxera NTFS (2016-02-21) [Support]

Time Machine: ⓘ

Time Machine not configured!

Top Processes by CPU: ⓘ

89% mdworker(16)

7% Microsoft Word

3% kernel_task

2% storedownloadd

0% WindowServer

Top Processes by Memory: ⓘ

664 MB firefox

606 MB kernel_task

221 MB mds_stores

180 MB mdworker(17)

139 MB ocspd

Virtual Memory Information: ⓘ

466 MB Free RAM

7.54 GB Used RAM (4.14 GB Cached)

0 B Swap Used

Diagnostics Information: ⓘ

Feb 24, 2016, 04:14:56 PM Self test - passed

Feb 23, 2016, 04:32:28 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Microsoft Word_2016-02-23-163228_[redacted].hang

/Applications/Microsoft Word.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Word

Feb 23, 2016, 04:32:21 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Microsoft PowerPoint_2016-02-23-163221_[redacted].hang

/Applications/Microsoft PowerPoint.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft PowerPoint

Feb 23, 2016, 04:32:18 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/AdobeReader_2016-02-23-163218_[redacted].hang

/Applications/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/MacOS/AdobeReader

Feb 22, 2016, 10:01:17 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/AdobeReader_2016-02-22-220117_[redacted].hang

Feb 22, 2016, 09:37:55 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/firefox_2016-02-22-213755_[redacted].hang

/Users/USER/Desktop/*/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox

Feb 22, 2016, 09:29:48 PM ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/helpd_2016-02-22-212948_[redacted].crash

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/HelpData.framework/Versions/A/Resources/helpd

Feb 22, 2016, 08:45:19 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/AdobeReader_2016-02-22-204519_[redacted].hang

Feb 22, 2016, 08:45:13 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/App Store_2016-02-22-204513_[redacted].hang

/Applications/App Store.app/Contents/MacOS/App Store

Feb 24, 2016 3:25 AM in response to juztkevin

-you have both Parallels and Virtual Box installed. Virtualization software uses a lot of resources. Not sure why you'd need two of them. I'd uninstall one.

-smartswitch doesn't sound like a good idea either.

-the google keystone agent can cause problems by frequently phoning home. http://applehelpwriter.com/2014/07/13/how-to-remove-googles-secret-update-softwa re-from-your-mac/

-I'd uninstall the two items listed under "startup items". Startup items have been deprecated since 10.4. https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPSystem Startup/Chapters/StartupItems.html

-then maybe try repairing your HD again

From the report it looks like you have uninstalled CMM but the damage may be done. You may need to erase your HD and do a clean install.

Feb 24, 2016 3:47 AM in response to juztkevin

juztkevin wrote:

That's from etre check. Can you figure out the problem?

On top of what arthur suggested, you also have ZipCloud installed, which is malware, and you need to remove it as well. You also need to go to System Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> General and change your Gatekeeper settings to "Mac App Store and identified developers." Right now you have it wide open, which is how malware/adware can get on your system.

User uploaded file

Click the padlock in the corner, input your administrator password, then change your Gatekeeper settings. After you're through with all that, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac to get rid of Genieo, and to make sure all bits and pieces from ZipCloud and CleanMyMac 3 are gone.

Feb 25, 2016 6:06 AM in response to juztkevin

I have done several things right now :

- I have uninstalled smartswitch, itools, virtual box and parallel desktop

- I can't uninstall Tuxera because I will use it to read my Hard disk on my Mac. Cos as my knowledge data from Mac can't be copied directly to Mac

- I don't know about google key stone. I'm using firefox as my main browser not the chrome. Does it need to be removed?

- How do i do the clean install?

Macbook pro 13 inch el capitan always show the dead ball rainbow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.