Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen flickering in bootcamp windows 10 partition

My screen on Macbook Air with OS X flickers whenever i boot into Windows 10 using bootcamp. I have tried calling Apple support but they directed me to Windows support, we tried changing the graphic adapter twice but nothing has worked so far.

The screen is stable when I boot into Mac partition.

Any points would be greatly appreciated to resolve this issue.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5), using bootcamp with windows 10

Posted on Feb 25, 2016 2:58 PM

23 replies

Oct 5, 2017 6:57 AM in response to RaheemJamaal

They aren't even close.

Having spent 6 months juggling between Office 2016 for Mac at my office and Office 2016 on Windows I can say with a certainty that the two products don't even come close. Lack of Ribbon keyboard shortcut's alone are enough to make any proficient user of the "full" version go mad.

That isn't to say OSX and Apple aren't great products--they are, but they (really, not hyperbole) don't have a software suite that provides the type of workplace productivity any proficient Office user on Windows could manage.

Oct 5, 2017 7:55 AM in response to Loner T

Having to push Ctrl+F2 and 4-6 more keystrokes to get the same result of pushing alt and 2 keystrokes aren't comparable features, and mapping custom hotkeys for 150 different combinations isn't saving anyone time. Alternatively, Windows brings up the shortcut labels on the entire ribbon when you push Alt and gives access to every single command in the ribbon within a maximum 3 keys (already a lot), greatly assisting in the learning process. There is no alternative in the Mac version that is as quick in any aspec unless something has changed.

This is only comparing one aspect of these 2 versions. There are so many other advanced features they flat out left out in the Mac version (Power Pivot...)

Windows has very obviously left the Mac version as 2nd class to it's flagship Windows version.

I'm not jumping to the conclusion of "This OS is better than that OS", I'm simply comparing one product that just happens to be a major tool in the workplace.

Feb 27, 2016 9:44 AM in response to Loner T

I actually wiped my drive and reinstalled OS X El Capitan without Windows 10 this time cause I couldn't figure it out so. Sorry. I'm really hesitant to try it again to because if I can't fix it that means it's taking up precious space on my 128GB hard drive and I would have to wipe my drive again and reinstall everything all over again. So just keep me posted if there is a solution to this problem.

Feb 27, 2016 10:48 AM in response to sanjay_vyas

I am actually giving up. I tried reinstalling windows 10 2 times. Then I called Apple support again. They said we cannot confirm that it is apple issue as your screen is not flickering when you are in the Mac partition and suggested to call Microsoft Support. Then I called MS Support, those people said you have to get the appropriate drivers from Apple to adjust the refresh rate when you boot into windows. So i am sandwiched between these two support groups and ultimately decided to not spend any more time into this, returning my Macbook air. Possibly, will transition at a later stage when I am not so much dependent on the MS Office.

Thanks all who responded with valuable information.

May 5, 2016 5:48 PM in response to sanjay_vyas

I'm seeing a similar issue. Fresh Windows 10 install. Brand new Macbook Air 13 inch, early 2015. Horizontal coloured lines glitching over centre of the screen once I boot into Windows 10. Glitching only begins once Windows loads, not during boot and is intermittent. This is with stock bootcamp install video drivers. I then used the Intel driver update utility on Intel site to download the latest drivers (after it determined the correct ones via a system scan). Problem persists. I believe these were the updated Intel drivers: 15.40.22.4424

Booting into El Capitan and no issues at all. Display perfect, leaving me confident the hardware is OK.

May 31, 2016 11:37 AM in response to david.de.candia

I am also experiencing this issue. Just bought my early 2015 MacBook Air 11.6" last week and attempted to install Windows 10 via Bootcamp using the newest Bootcamp software (6.0.6136) through El Capitan. I used the newest Windows 10 ISO directly from Microsoft's media creation tool. The installation completes without any issues, but after installing the Bootcamp software and restarting Windows, I am getting the flickering, horizontal lines and artifacting that is described above. I have tried every Intel HD 6000 graphics driver for Windows 10 that is offered by Intel, but the issue persists. Some drivers are worse than others, but all exhibit the same symptoms at some level. I have been able to achieve 90% stability using driver version 20.19.15.4444, which is currently the newest driver available from Intel.

I called Apple support to report/troubleshoot this, but was told that "Apple doesn't write the drivers, so take it up with Microsoft Support." That's complete BS, seeing as the package containing the drivers comes directly from Apple, packaged as Bootcamp and Windows support software for this specific MacBook. Apparently, there is no real testing going on prior to releasing these new Bootcamp versions, leading to a bad user experience for myself and many others. There are 3 reasons I bought a Mac: 1. Aesthetic appeal 2. Build Quality 3. The ability to run Mac OS X and Windows natively on a single machine. The fact that running Windows is really unpleasant due to the display issues, I am leaning towards returning the laptop for a refund. Maybe in time there will be a driver that offers flawless operation, but then again, maybe there won't be.

May 31, 2016 6:25 PM in response to Loner T

That has already been tried as well. As soon as ANY driver for the HD 6000 is installed, the artifacts and flickering start again. In the absence of an Intel driver, using the Microsoft Basic Display Driver, the performance is OK, but brightness controls and other niceties of a functional display driver are unavailable. That "works", but for what I paid for an 11" laptop, I'm not looking for compromises or basic functionality. MacBook Pro users have a utopian Windows experience on their machines, full-resolution Retina, etc. I intend to spend the majority of my time in Mac OS X on this machine, but there are a few software programs that I absolutely need Windows for, and I need it to run natively.

Screen flickering in bootcamp windows 10 partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.