Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new mail account "Senior Discount Box" showed up, can't delete

My friend's 6S, IOS 9.2.1, had a new mail account "Senior Discount Box" just show up on it yesterday. I was able to uncheck Mail and Notes and change the password and disable the server, but I cannot delete it. Have done a full shut down, but it is still there. Does not show up on her iPad, nor her iMac.

It is an IMAP account: Wende.Mendy@my.minbox.mail

Host Name: 20160224.imap.email.minbox.email

it says "these settings are installed by the profile "Senior Discount Box"

We have no idea where this came from nor how to delete it. Have changed Apple password, Gmail and FaceBook passwords.

Hesitate to erase iPhone and go back to restore the last, Dec., back up, but think I should.

Anyone else have had this problem or can help? Thx

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Feb 27, 2016 4:03 PM

54 replies

Mar 20, 2017 1:02 PM in response to thaw3

My wife had this same issue after coming home from the Apple Store. Go to settings, hit the General tab, scroll down and tap the profile (Senior Discount Box), tap Senior Discount Box, hit delete. Then it will ask for your phone's password/passcode, after you enter that, then hit delete again and then your problem is gone.

Mar 29, 2017 10:48 PM in response to Mcaxley

" I don't think things like this should be allowed to add anything to my phone. How can this be eliminated "

By purchasing and using Apple products. As much as 'Android' users hate Apple's

'Walled-Garden' approach, it is much less susceptible to these types of intrusions

or attacks. While no security is 100% foolproof, Apple's approach is as probably

as close as you will get. Android users love to gloat about how 'open' their choice

of platform is. And it's exactly that. Search 'Android Malware', and be prepared for

the endless number of daily articles that should alarm anyone. Apple's curated

App Store is a much better approach than Android's Zika-infested swamp.

In the future, on any platform or device, use caution everywhere.

As the saying goes .. If an offer sounds too good, it probably is. 😉

Feb 27, 2016 4:25 PM in response to thaw3

A "profile" means some other organization has some IT policy in effect that governs the iPhone. In other words, your friend must not own the iPhone outright ... it probably belongs to some organization or school that has an IT department that governs it. You should contact them about this email account.

Feb 27, 2016 5:39 PM in response to sberman

I bought this for her new in Dec. nobody else owns it. When you go into settings to set up a mail account, any apple Mail, gmail, yahoo mail account you set up shows up there. You can delete any of these mail accounts which you set up. I cannot delete this "mail" account. There is no delete button. It is as if it is hard wired to the account settings page. I don't know how this could have happened. But I need to get rid of it ASAP...

Feb 28, 2016 5:51 AM in response to sberman

sberman wrote:

A "profile" means some other organization has some IT policy in effect that governs the iPhone. In other words, your friend must not own the iPhone outright ... it probably belongs to some organization or school that has an IT department that governs it. You should contact them about this email account.

A point of clarification. Just because there is a profile on the phone doesn't mean the person doesn't own it. I have a profile on my phone which I own outright because I needed it to install an app from my employer to view my schedule. Some companies allow people to put corporate email on personal phones but require a profile. I've also seen people who've used SIMS from certain companies that sell them for international travel with profiles installed on the phone. I only discovered that because the people couldn't access cellular data when they got back until the profile was removed.

Yes, allowing a profile on your phone means you're ceding some level of control but it doesn't mean much of anything about ownership of the device.

Feb 28, 2016 6:05 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks for the clarification. In this instance, some entity from a website or an email installed the profile without my girlfriend's permissio. How this can happen I don't quite understand. Since we paid full price for our iPhones this time we had AT&T unlock them. If we travelled overseas and put a foreign SIM card in then maybe we would have to add a profile for that sim if I follow what you are saying. Otherwise I can't see that we would have a need for any profile on our iPhones, especially placed there by an unknown (spam type) entity.

Feb 28, 2016 6:20 AM in response to thaw3

thaw3 wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. In this instance, some entity from a website or an email installed the profile without my girlfriend's permissio. How this can happen I don't quite understand.

I've been seeing that happen slighty more often. It's always been a way to get apps installed without the usual iTunes Store security. I'm guessing someone clicked on a link about installing an app or something similar and then clicked "ok" on the request to install a profile. We've all gotten so used to just clicking through things like that that we don't always read them.

Delete the profile. Be careful, in future, when clicking "Ok" that you pay attention.

Best of luck.

new mail account "Senior Discount Box" showed up, can't delete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.