Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage read reports change from read to delivered

In the last couple of weeks I've noticed that when I send an iMessage from my iPhone 6 to my best friend, it first shows as delivered, as usual. She then reads it and it'll show as read. Then I'll go back into message later and it's turned back to delivered again, as tho the imessage hasn't been read at all.

Does anybody have an idea as to why its doing this?? Or what I can do to correct this???

Thank's in advance!!

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Mar 1, 2016 2:11 PM

153 replies

Feb 8, 2017 3:10 AM in response to Ashanti826

No, Ashanti826, it's not simple. They do not turn off their read receipts. Read the whole problem by the original poster. It should not go from Delivered to Read and back to Delivered. If they turned off their receipt, it'd just say Delivered. After the message is opened, if they then turned off their receipts, it'd still show Read.

Feb 16, 2017 6:43 AM in response to loulour1982

I've had this same problem and I have an iPhone 7 and it's currently up to date. I also had this problem on my old phone iPhone 5s. This is what I believe the issue is. This only occurs when I have texted people with an iPhone 6 or newer phone. I believe the reason it says "delivered" is because it's been delivered. The reason it then says "read" is because the message was read but by using the scroll down feature or 3D Touch not actually opening up messenger. So it goes back to "delivered" until they actually open the messanger app and look at the sent text. It's just something I have noticed and please don't bash me if I'm wrong it's just a suggestion as to what could be causthe problem.

Feb 17, 2017 6:18 AM in response to Jaznjamie

Dude, thank you, not only did you explain exactly why this is happening, your reasoning makes perfect sense. All people need to do to correct the situation is actually open the message when sent a text vs read it by the shortcut Apple made... I wish everyone would stop posting back & forth about the hard reset/turning the phone off & on, someone want to update one of the "Genius Bar dudes?" Thanks again man!

Mar 9, 2017 1:38 AM in response to cdwatnsu

Hi, I tried restore in recovery mode without backup and issue persists. Closing iMessage receipt is delivered not read. I tried with another iPhone with iOS 10.2.1 with my Apple id and my sim and issue persists! So issue is related at apple id or sim?? AppleCare said no issue about apple id, but no solutions. Why another iOS device has same issue with apple id and sim?

Apr 12, 2017 4:59 PM in response to loulour1982

Here's what I THINK is causing the problem. If you turn off "read receipts" globally in Settings\Messages\Send Read Receipts but only turn it on for SOME of your contacts (since iOS allows this feature on a contact by contact basis) then the problem will manifest itself as you described.

I had my send read receipts feature turned off globally and only turned it on for some of my contacts. And sure enough, those were the one's I was seeing the problem of the status changing from "Read" to "Delivered."

Once I turned the "Send Read Receipts" on for ALL contacts, the problem seemed to disappear. Now I realize this isn't necessarily a good answer and certainly not an acceptable work around. I'm merely presenting it as a way to help further troubleshoot and re-create the scenario. I'd be curious to see if others try this and get the same results.

Sep 20, 2017 11:30 PM in response to loulour1982

I’ve noticed this issue for the first time ever. At 8:04pm I sent a message and it was read within the same time frame. Three hours later I went to check the text thread and the same sent message now showed “delivered”. After reading this community thread I decided to restart my phone then checked the text message- it now shows “read” again. Given that I had to restart my phone suggest that the issue exist in the sender’s phone. But I’ll note that the receipient of the text relayed a few days back that his phone was acting up and he had recently lost all his text messages.

But for now it seems that for anyone questioning if they’re going crazy as they swear the message was on read a few minutes prior, all you have to do is restar your phone and perhaps that will solve the problem.

Nov 25, 2017 8:35 PM in response to loulour1982

So I don’t know the cause BUT I will tell you the fix. As I think only a few have stated if you hold power and home button until phone turns completely off then back on again (don’t let go until you see Apple logo) then the message will revert back to read. thought I had been blocked. The message went from read to delivered. Which is a sign. Restarted my phone and sure enough went back to Read.

iMessage read reports change from read to delivered

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.