Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove "Other" account from login screen?

Hello!

I have no guest users on my mac. I have only 1 admin user. Please help me and tell, how i can remove "Other.." login option from my login screen?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Mar 2, 2016 1:19 PM

38 replies

Jul 6, 2017 6:59 AM in response to Leopardus

Thank you. You are correct and your suggestion works.

This is the first time I have ever seen the "other" user in the login screen. I have four Macs on my Network and one NAS.

The command "sudo defaults delete /L*/P*/com.apple.loginwindow.* SHOWOTHERUSERS_MANAGED" just returns a page of syntax suggestions and arguments and accomplishes nothing.

Copied and pasted

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow SHOWOTHERUSERS_MANAGED -bool FALSE

and it worked. Now it's gone. Thank you.

And just for the record, there is no "other" user folder, I don't have "Find My Mac" enabled, and I don't have guest account enabled.

Oct 25, 2017 7:21 PM in response to skillman99

I asked an Apple advisor and she said

Enable or disable the root user

1. Choose Apple menu () > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups (or Accounts).
  2. Click User uploaded file, then enter an administrator name and password.
  3. Click Login Options.
  4. Click Join (or Edit).
  5. Click Open Directory Utility.
  6. Click User uploaded file in the Directory Utility window, then enter an administrator name and password.
  7. From the menu bar in Directory Utility:
    • Choose Edit > Enable Root User, then enter the password that you want to use for the root user.
    • Or choose Edit > Disable Root User.

This will totally take away other on the lock screen.

Nov 12, 2017 8:46 PM in response to skillman99

Enable or disable the root user

1. Choose Apple menu () > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups (or Accounts).
  2. Click User uploaded file, then enter an administrator name and password.
  3. Click Login Options.
  4. Click Join (or Edit).
  5. Click Open Directory Utility.
  6. Click User uploaded file in the Directory Utility window, then enter an administrator name and password.
  7. From the menu bar in Directory Utility:
    • Choose Edit > Enable Root User, then enter the password that you want to use for the root user.
    • Or choose Edit > Disable Root User.

Nov 28, 2017 11:35 PM in response to skillman99

I use System Preferences then go to users & ONYX. First make sure Root user is off How to enable the root user on your Mac or change your root password - Apple Support in users click on users and groups. Unlock the lock if locked. Turn automatic login to off. Display login window as list of users. Only check Show input menu in login window & Show fast user switching menu as full name. Leave the remainder of the boxes unchecked. Close System Preferences window. Then in ONYX go to parameters and open the login box. On the lower 1/2 of the page, where it says show list of users make startup mode normal and check local users box. Uncheck network users and other users. Close ONYX and restart. That is it. You will have your name listed at startup with an empty box to put your password in.

How to remove "Other" account from login screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.