Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microphone not working with Siri or voice recognition in texting

iPhone 6 - 9.2.1 firmware - - the mic input is not providing a valid signal to Siri, nor voice dictation in Messages. It *does* work fine for the new Music Memo app, so that would indicate the hardware is not broken.

When in Siri or Messages, the indicator of signal shows erratic noise, when in fact, there is no input, and does Not change or respond when there *is* talking.

Posted on Mar 9, 2016 10:37 AM

23 replies

May 14, 2017 3:28 PM in response to TopoTone

I had 2 problems with my used Iphone6. No sound in the earpiece and Siri and dictation not working.

The earpiece problem needed speaker and cable replaced. Even with the new cable the front mic still not working.

There is a very small passage in the plastic from the earpiece hole on the outside face to the Mic inside. The mic has a very small opening that lines up with the passage to the earpiece. Size of a needle point small. Mine was clogged up. While I had the phone apart changing the cable I notice the passage was blocked where not light would shine through. I took a needle and pushed through the passage and then I could see light through the hole.

If Siri and dictation are the only problem It's probably this small passage that is stopped up that leads to the front mic.

Apr 5, 2016 11:18 AM in response to TopoTone

Still not working. Reset all settings, updated to 9.3.1...no change. Mic only works in Voice and Music Memos. Does not work in Siri, Messages or Google. One thing to note is that it works with the Apple ear buds mic. One would think that there must be a hardware problem with the mic, but, the mic *does* work in Voice Memos or Music Memos...so that theory does not pan out.

Apr 5, 2016 11:23 AM in response to TopoTone

This link may help resolve iPhone microphone issues (there are actually 3 of them):

Get help with the microphones on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

See especially:

If audio from video recordings sounds faint, or Siri can’t hear you, make sure that the microphone near the iSight camera—on the top, back corner of your iPhone—and the receiver isn’t blocked or covered.

May 3, 2016 2:10 AM in response to TopoTone

The microphone problem many of us are facing may, unfortunately, have more than one cause. For some, it seems to have been a result if an update. For others, it just appears to have occurred with no specific event. That might indicate some type of software conflict among various recording apps.

In my case, the front mic simply does not record in Voice Memos Video or iMessage. When I use Skype or Hangouts in speaker mode, the other party tells me voice volume drops or increases instantly by 60-80%, even when The phone is sitting still. It seems to be like a capacitor-type problem that kicks in at random. The problem has existed on my iPhone 6 at least since iOS 9.1.

If I use a headset, all apps seem to record fine through the headset mic and the volume to the other party is steady.

On searching the net, one finds similar problems raised with iOS 7, 8 and 9, but, again, it could be an update or app conflict problem. One simply cannot determine a single solution.

May 3, 2016 4:07 PM in response to TopoTone

I might have a hardware problem, but my phone is out of warranty and they want $300. to replace it.

Siri and Messages do not work from whatever mic they use. Everything else works fine, such as audio with movie recording, voice & music memos, voice recognition in Google...all that works.

Would be nice if you could assign which mic your app uses.

May 3, 2016 6:10 PM in response to TopoTone

While a tech can agree it doesn't work, I doubt the Apple Stores can isolate weather the problem is a bad mic, an installation flaw or an app conflict.

Seems some with similar problems since iOS 7 have had success fixing it using one of the two options below, however, they didn't fix the mic for others.

1. Wipe the phone, relink to your telco account, test the front mic with Siri, Video and Voice Memos, then, if it works, reinstall all your apps from your backup.

2. Do an iPhone Deep Firmware Update (DFU), https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/DFU_Mode , which replaces the core operating instruction set for the phone as well as reloading the latest iOS. Then run the test and reload in Option 1.

I haven't tried either option yet, but my frustration level is growing. I also want to have the mic working when I sell it after upgrading to the iPhone 7.

May 4, 2016 12:23 AM in response to TopoTone

Problems with Siri and other voice feature can be caused by a dirty or clogged mic. To test this, be sure Bluetooth is OFF. Go to Settings>General>Siri and turn Siri OFF. Then return to the Home Screen, hold down the Home Button until the Voice Control screen pops up and try a few commands like "launch Google Maps" and "call Bob work". Voice Control does not require you to be connected to the Internet.

If the phone responds properly, the mic isn't obstructed. If it misinterprets the commands, clogging may be the problem.

My iPhone 6 failed this voice commands test and took completely different actions. Let us know how your's responds.

May 4, 2016 9:23 AM in response to cyberbiker

Voice commands, mostly, misinterprets what I say. It did seem to understand "play music", but any other command I told it, like "open Notes...or launch Google", did not work. In fact, after I said any command, other than Play, it would attempt to call someone....even tho I did not say "call".

When Voice Commands launches, the representation of incoming levels, at the bottom of the screen, shows movement, even tho I was not saying anything. This seems to represent that it's detecting some sort of distortion that is registering on the level meter. I have seen this before in messages and Siri, but now those apps show no levels at all...just a flat line when I talk.

Would be nice to know which mic is used for what app, and have an option to change that assignment.

May 4, 2016 5:06 PM in response to TopoTone

I got the same variety of bizarre responses from command using Voice Control. Think I'll take a vacuum cleaner to the front mic of my iPhone 6, which is on top of the screen right behind the left side of the speaker slit.

I do not believe it is a hardware problem with the front mic because it works fine with some features and not others.

There seems to be many who THINK they found a solution because some specific adjustment worked for them, however, I think that means there can be several causes from installation and app conflicts so one solution doesn't fit all.

One-hoop, who seemed to have the same problem we are said he solved it by resetting all settings (Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings) in message https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6765123?start=45

I don't know whether he then reloaded each third party app from scratch or not. It would seem he would have to to avoid recreating the problem by reloading potentially conflicting setting from has backup file. I'll send him a pm to find out.

Here is what I've ascertained by testing so far.

Hypotheses

Different functions activate different mics

1. Siri activates the front mic.

2. Dictation activates the front mic.

3. Selfie video only activates the front mic. Forward video activates the back mic

4. An voice iMessage and dictation activates the front mic.

5. Speaker phone calls, FaceTime, Skype, Hangouts, WhatsApp, etc., activate the front mic.

6. Voice Memos seems to activate all three mics. It works well when recording a selfie comment or recording audio nearby, even with iPhone lying on a table on its front or back.

7. Flipping the video cam from front to back seems to flip the mic as well.

8. Bluetooth connection with other devices blocks all three iPhone mics.

What Voice Recording Works for Me

- Speaker phone calls,

- FaceTime,

- Skype, Hangouts, WhatsApp

- Forward facing videos recording

- All audio recording features on all apps when using headset mic.

What Voice Recording Does Not Work

- Siri

- Dictation

- Voice iMessage

- Selfie videos

Microphone not working with Siri or voice recognition in texting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.