Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps won't install or update on wifi

Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue at the moment where apps just will not update or install when connected to a WiFi network but are fine on mobile data.

I open the App Store and go to update one of the apps based on the notifications but all I get is the spinner. Same with installing new apps. I get the circle with the stop button but no progress whatsoever.

However if I switch to mobile data then the downloads start immediately. It's as if the WiFi connection can't connect to Apple servers. Along the same vein, I cannot check for iOS updates. I simply get the error message

Unable to check for update. An error occurred while checking for a software update.

This has happened across multiple WiFi networks, in different locations, and I've asked a number of people who all have the same issue.

I've tried resetting network settings, modifying DNS and using static IPs but to no avail.

I'm on a UK iPhone 6s, iOS 9.2.1.

Device bought directly through Apple.

Any help would be appreciated.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Mar 14, 2016 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2016 3:31 PM

I had the same issue when I'm using Wi-Fi. No problem with cellular data. I got it resolved by changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8 which is a Google DNS. Just go to Settings>Wifi>NameOfWifi>DNS.

User uploaded file

23 replies

Mar 14, 2016 10:58 AM in response to ManSinha

This is an interesting one.

Done. As expected all App Store downloads stopped for mobile data. However they remained the same on wifi too. No activity, though only when I'm actively in the App Store. The moment I press the home button and go back to the home screen the download/install happens immediately.

Just to reiterate. I start the download in the App Store and watch it prepare but it doesn't move. At all. I press the home button and go to the home screen and the install is immediate.

Edit: actually it seems like it depends on the App now? Some install now but others don't.

On 128Gb iPhone, plenty of space left.

Apps won't install or update on wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.