Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you contact Apple's legal team (and get a response)?

Is it possible to contact Apple's legal team?

I tried this link http://www.apple.com/legal/contact/#copyright but didn't get any response.

You can see my question here:

Can OSX fonts be used commercially?

It is relevant to designers and illustrators, and it has been asked frequently on Apple forums for years but never answered.

Posted on Mar 17, 2016 3:57 PM

18 replies

Mar 17, 2016 4:50 PM in response to tonality

I have written to Angela Ahrents (an old-fashioned letter) for a somewhat disabled person and the response was amazing. I've also had to contact Tim Cook some time back when 4 Senior Advisors would not contact be back with an Applecare issue and the response was also great. I have found that to be the best way to get a company's attention once all other efforts have failed.

Mar 17, 2016 6:19 PM in response to tonality

I'm hip - "call" avoidance system.

RE: your issue... if ya can't use a font to create a "work" - ya can't even *print!* - the font is NOT the work they are interested in - it's the "Software" (i.e., the font package) = Helvetica is everywhere - economy would grind to a halt if we needed to get permission to print a business letter or a sign or a webpage

ADDED

I have heard Apple retains all rights to "San Francisco" - unless you are creating some app for the WATCH

Mar 17, 2016 6:28 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

if ya can't use a font to create a "work" - ya can't even *print!*

Printing is expressly allowed in Apple's EULA: "you may use the fonts included with the Apple Software to display and print content while running the Apple Software"

What isn't expressly allowed is commercial use. And as Apple says elsewhere in its EULA, "Apple and/or Apple’s licensors retain ownership of the Apple Software itself and reserve all rights not expressly granted to you."

This is crucial for designers (i.e. you can't create and sell a commercial logo with a font that isn't licensed for professional use).

Mar 17, 2016 6:46 PM in response to tonality

when you create a design in ANY tangible medium, it is a "copyrighted work" owned by you - a document, a letterhead, a sign, a package, a webpage - the FONT is no longer an issue in copyright law, only the totality of the "work".

As I said, the only "designer/publisher(foundry)" rights on a font Apple "owns rights to" that is restricted is San Francisco.

Again, commerce grinds to a halt if this is not so. If so, one would need to trace ownership of Helvetica from Haas'sche Schriftgiesserei (Haas Type Foundry) to ITC to whomever holds license today = EVERY TIME you made a sign and displayed it.

Your answer may well lie in Copyright Law itself - needing no explicit grant or reserve at all.

Ask a lawyer of your own

Mar 17, 2016 7:38 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

when you create a design in ANY tangible medium, it is a "copyrighted work" owned by you - a document, a letterhead, a sign, a package, a webpage - the FONT is no longer an issue in copyright law, only the totality of the "work"

Sorry, but this is 100% wrong. I'm not saying this to start a discussion, just to make this completely clear for other readers.

Many fonts allow for personal, non-commercial use for all the purposes most people are interested in.

But as soon as you for instance design a logo, sell a PDF or use a text in a commercial video, you need expressly, written permission to do that.

Anyway, after a 4-days nightmare over this, I just found the solution -- and I'm not sure if I should post it in this forum haha, but here goes: I'm also a Windows users and I just realized that Microsoft actually has a chat service. So I chatted with a supporter and got written permission to use all the fonts I need. It took 10 minutes...

Mar 17, 2016 7:55 PM in response to tonality

If you are worried you might infringe, are you taking the word of the entity that will sue you to advise you?

If your project is a "big $$$$$ deal" - pay the $$$ to get the documents in a written agreement that YOUR attorney has passed blessing upon -

IF your project is likely to generate no $$$ to "recover", no company in their right mind(s) would waste their legal departments budget (liable to their shareholders to show "profit" - not "costs")

I am still stickin' to my point that commerce would grind to a halt, though - I have literally 1000s of works in the marketplace, and not one "commercial packaging" has ever seen a cease and desist order

Mar 17, 2016 7:57 PM in response to tonality

tonality wrote:

when you create a design in ANY tangible medium, it is a "copyrighted work" owned by you - a document, a letterhead, a sign, a package, a webpage - the FONT is no longer an issue in copyright law, only the totality of the "work"

Sorry, but this is 100% wrong. I'm not saying this to start a discussion, just to make this completely clear for other readers.

Many fonts allow for personal, non-commercial use for all the purposes most people are interested in.

But as soon as you for instance design a logo, sell a PDF or use a text in a commercial video, you need expressly, written permission to do that.

Anyway, after a 4-days nightmare over this, I just found the solution -- and I'm not sure if I should post it in this forum haha, but here goes: I'm also a Windows users and I just realized that Microsoft actually has a chat service. So I chatted with a supporter and got written permission to use all the fonts I need. It took 10 minutes...

Wait a second!

Your issue is Apple "owned" fontfaces, and you got "permission" from a Microsoft employee?

I am really confused

Mar 17, 2016 8:15 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

http://blog.crowdspring.com/2011/03/font-law-licensing/

says in part

"This means that copyright law (at least in the U.S.) protects only the font software, not the artistic design of the typeface."

and further

"The U.S. Copyright Office has unequivocally determined that fonts are not subject to protection as artistic works under the 1976 Copyright Act.

In contrast, Germany recognized in 1981 that typeface designs can be protected by copyright as original works. England also allows typeface designs to be protected by copyright (since 1989)."

and further

"2. Is your intended use permissible? Some font licensing agreements may restrict ways that you can use the font. Review the agreements carefully when in doubt."

So... where's the agreement? It is "layered" in contract law agreements - owner > licensee > licensee > licensee > ad infinitum

get a lawyer if you want to CYA

Can you contact Apple's legal team (and get a response)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.