Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook - problems to connect w external screen

I do a lot of presentations (Keynote) from Mac to external screens at events.

The new MacBook (12") is quite often having problems so I have to carry a MacBookAir as a back-up just in case.

Problems can be everything from no image at all, image with spikes and even two images (like 70% Keynote + 30% desktop).

It doesn't matter if I use HDMI or VGA. And yes, I know how to adjust resolution in settings 🙂 Sometimes the problem is fixed by adjusting the resolution manually, but then the Macbook can jump back to the resolution that doesn't work by itself during the slideshow...

I believe the problem only occurs when I have to go through a device like a split or when there is lots of tech back stage.

Anyone else having problems like this with the MacBook?

Any ideas on whats wrong and how to solve it?

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Mar 21, 2016 1:53 AM

66 replies

Jan 1, 2017 9:25 AM in response to stefanfromingarö

Hi all. I finally got fed up with the problem (or my computer got fed up with me) and I took it in to an Apple store to have it looked at. (Along with a list of about 20 problems I was having at the time). One of the Geniuses tried to hook it up and troubleshoot it - and it wouldn't even respond in the store. It kept crashing, track pad was failing, etc. Turns out I had to get the logic board and "IPD to MLB Flex Cable" on this 3-month old POS replaced entirely. I just picked it up last night - but it at least seems to run an external monitor with no "distortions" for now!

Point being, it may not be a software issue on your Mac. My 3-month-old computer needed some pretty major servicing due to failing hard parts.

Reid

Dec 30, 2017 9:45 AM in response to stefanfromingarö

I recently started having the same problems with a 2016 Macbook and HP Pavilion 27xw monitor connected over HDMI cable to Apple branded HDMI/Power/USB multiport. This is almost 12 months since original setup.

After following a restart and also compressed air blow out of the USB-C port on Macbook and HDMI port on the multiport dongle, the problem of HDMI signal loss and monitor continually going to sleep and waking back up to just go to sleep again STOPPED.

Hopefully, this is a permanent fix ... For at least the next 12 months.

May 8, 2016 9:44 AM in response to stefanfromingarö

I have a Macbook (Retina, 12-inch, early 2016, 1.3Ghz) with everything fully updated. I have exactly the same problem as you. I've had probably 10 different mac laptops over the last decade, and never had as much trouble with external displays than with this new Macbook. The external display just cuts out for a few seconds every few minutes, which makes giving presentations really painful. I've tried many, many different choices of resolution and display configurations, and I'm using the official Apple adapter (with three ports: dvi, usb-c, and usb). NOTE: I originally used a non-apple version of this adapter, and all of the symptoms were way worse, so I bought the more expensive apple adapter, which "helped", but didn't fix the problem. Also, the external display I use is a large high-quality crestron, which works perfectly with my other mac computers.

I too will be carrying a second old macbook air around specifically for presentations because of this....

- William

Jun 20, 2016 9:14 AM in response to stefanfromingarö

Encountered the same thing - tried the less expensive USB-C multiport adapters (e.g., Anker), and the problem seemed to affect all of them. Coughed up the $$ for the official Apple multiport adapter and the problem wasn't there...for the first day or two. But now it's become persistent and, frankly, annoying. Will try the canned air suggestion given to see if that does the job.

Jun 20, 2016 1:53 PM in response to Geoffrey Brandt

So, just for laughs, I tried the compressed air suggestion made by alex7375, and so far, it's worked. Where the monitor was blacking out for 2-3 seconds every 3-5 minutes, it's been rock solid for the past four hours. I keep the laptop in a felt sleeve; I wonder if little bits of the felt flake off when I insert the laptop and get into the port...

At any rate, it now seems to be working fine with the Apple Multiport Adapter on my desk at work - will try it when I get home with the no-name (vtin?) multiport adapter I'm using there and see if the problems with that have been solved, too. The cheapie worked fine when I first got it, and its performance slowly deteriorated over time...as did the Apple version.

Jul 13, 2016 2:10 PM in response to stefanfromingarö

My MacBook 2016 has the same issues. I have tried three different displays, two different USB-C -HDMI Adapters with and without DVI-Adapter. Every few seconds the external displays went to black. I followed the hint to dust off the USB-C Port but that didn't help.

Hello Apple - is this a hardware- ore a software / driver / firmware Problem?

Macbook - problems to connect w external screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.