Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't attach a photo on text messages to non iMessage users after 9.3 update

I have been having problems ever since the first iOS 9 update. Currently, after updating to 9.3, the camera icon to attach a photo or video to a text message is greyed out to contacts that are not using iMessage. But even previously since the iOS 9 update, I haven't been able to successfully send an MMS message to, again, a non iMessage using user. It will just fail to send every single time. When will this get fixed!? I have reset my phone, reset network settings, changed APN setting, the whole 9 yards.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3

Posted on Mar 23, 2016 12:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2016 4:34 AM

I Had the same issues with not being able to txt pictures on my camera roll. I know of a couple ways around this until apple fixes this enormous issue.

1. Delete the picture you are trying to message; go into your deleted folder and recover that picture. You will be able to send it in a message.

...or

2. Email the picture to yourself, download the picture from your email and you will be able to send it in a message.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2016 4:34 AM in response to L3gacy304

I Had the same issues with not being able to txt pictures on my camera roll. I know of a couple ways around this until apple fixes this enormous issue.

1. Delete the picture you are trying to message; go into your deleted folder and recover that picture. You will be able to send it in a message.

...or

2. Email the picture to yourself, download the picture from your email and you will be able to send it in a message.

Aug 13, 2017 6:27 PM in response to rbrashear68

I have tried rebooting, deleting the pic, and all the above. I've even checked in my contact to make sure I have "mobile" selected (not iphone) for the person b/c I'm sending pics to someone that doesn't have an iPhone. I've tried all of the suggestions! Nothing is working. Last week, I even called apple support and they suposefly helped me fix it (obviously not for good). But, it started again today... anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Mar 24, 2016 12:46 PM in response to keakuki

Hi keakuki,

If you are having trouble with SMS and MMS messages on your iPhone, the resource below provides some initial troubleshooting steps:

If you can‘t send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Go to Settings > Messages. Check that the type of message that you're trying to send is turned on (iMessage, SMS, MMS, or Group messaging):

User uploaded file

Restart your device and check for updates

1. Restart your device.
  2. Check for a carrier settings update.
  3. Check for an iOS software update.

Take care,

Apr 25, 2016 9:40 PM in response to keakuki

I'm having the same problem after the update. I think it's something to do with iCloud as whenever I click on the camera and a text when I go to load the picture it tries to download and then nothing. I literally have to go into my photos hold copy and paste or take a screenshot and then I can select that screenshot and post it in the text message. all I know Is everything was fine until I took the update. this is why I always wait to update and all it still didn't help. When I called Apple support about it all they said to do was do a rollback

Jun 10, 2016 3:36 PM in response to Jamie2980

This just started for me on 6/10/16 on an iphone 6 Sprint. I have made no changes to the phone between yesterday, when it worked, and today, when it does not. I have found that under "settings" and then "photos & camera" when I switch from "optimize iphone storage" to "download and keep originals" the problem goes away. I suspect this means something is up with icloud, but who am I to say.

Sep 8, 2016 7:30 AM in response to Kss9

I had this same problem after an upgrade. I had all the proper settings enabled, but just couldn't attach photos from iCloud to a text. The only thing worked for me was deleting a bunch of old text message. I reduced my used storage space of text messages from about 9GB to about 8GB. Now I'm able to attach again. I don't know what the magic limit of storage is but this worked for me. hope this helps and good luck!

Sep 16, 2016 11:09 AM in response to keakuki

I had this problem after upgrading to iOS 10 and for me this was my solution:

The iOS upgrade somehow turned off MMS messaging in my Message settings. Once turned back on, I'm able to attach photos to non iMessage users again. Just exit the messaging app and enter again to have the setting take into affect.

Hope that works for you.

I can't attach a photo on text messages to non iMessage users after 9.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.