Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

gps not working properly after iOS 9.3 update

Hi all.

After updating to iOS 9.3 my GPS cannot find my exact location. It keeps telling me I am in a big area, (Triangulating) seems like it does not activate the GPS.

Sometimes very little it works and give me the correct position, but 97% of the time its not working. Anyone else with the same problem?

Besides that: A hot phone & bad WIFI

iPhone 6 running iOS 9.3

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3

Posted on Mar 23, 2016 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2017 4:39 AM

Folks, I have iPhone 6 and after updating to 10.2.1, I have lost wifi signal strength ( I have to sit in front of router to get signals) and GPS just cannot locate me. I did reset, hard reset, restore, got hardware checked at Apple but to no avail. I had to go out of town relying heavily on my GPS in phone and the **** thing just dint work. I never even dream that one day I will have to say the apple is not reliable. This has happened to me and this can happen to anyone.

335 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2017 4:39 AM in response to aisen2

Folks, I have iPhone 6 and after updating to 10.2.1, I have lost wifi signal strength ( I have to sit in front of router to get signals) and GPS just cannot locate me. I did reset, hard reset, restore, got hardware checked at Apple but to no avail. I had to go out of town relying heavily on my GPS in phone and the **** thing just dint work. I never even dream that one day I will have to say the apple is not reliable. This has happened to me and this can happen to anyone.

Mar 1, 2017 11:34 AM in response to mikedaddy73

Wow mikedaddy73- this was my experience exactly!!! I still have no ability to use gps for directions, etc. Bluetooth works in 2ft radius. Wifi is spotty too.

I went to genius bar as well and the SAME exact thing happened! I smell a scam! All since I did the 9.3 upgrade. Literally happened overnight once I woke up an it had updated. This is BS and sounds like Apple needs to step up or face a class action law suit! $900 phones and this crap happens! Steve Jobs is rolling over in his grave.

Where did you get the parts etc??

Mar 1, 2017 1:20 PM in response to marcokick

marcokick wrote:

This is not an isolated incident. I have seen 100s of people with same problem. This is an Apple conspiracy to sell more phones. I am 48 years old by the way. 30 years in the corporate world. Something is going on here.

OK, I'll use your numbers. Hundreds. I'll even give you the high end of 3 digits, 999. There are over 1 billion iPhones. That's 1,000,000,000. So your "hundreds" is 0.0001% of all iPhones. Do you really think that Apple would go to that much trouble to make 0.0001% of all phones fail?

Mar 1, 2017 1:29 PM in response to marcokick

marcokick wrote:

This is not an isolated incident. I have seen 100s of people with same problem. This is an Apple conspiracy to sell more phones. I am 48 years old by the way. 30 years in the corporate world. Something is going on here.

Which means you should be old enough and experienced enough not to fall for ridiculous conspiracy theories.

Mar 1, 2017 1:40 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence I get it. Reality is it's probably way more. Most people do. Or take the time to do this and just deal with it. The fact that it's happening Apple should address it. I'm in the IT world and it is a fact software can break hardware.

Apple is a good company - but they should listen to these real issues instead of saying buy a new one. Something happened.

Mar 1, 2017 1:45 PM in response to marcokick

No, software can't break hardware like this. The people who have looked into this (in this thread and others) have identified a problem with the antenna connection in the phone. Some have fixed it by repairing the antenna connection. You can't break an antenna connection with software. Note that this is not a recommended or Apple-supported solution, but it does demonstrate pretty clearly that it is a hardware problem.

Mar 1, 2017 1:57 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Actually it can - the company I work for makes software and we have broken hardware before. It happens. The good news is I finally got a hold of a high up Apple Supervisor, explained everything and he agreed something wasn't right and agreed to fix the phone, even out of warranty assuming there was no proof of damage from neglect (this one doesn't even have a scratch on it.). Everybody else who had issues reporting has helped tremendously. I just think there were too many coincidences for there not to be an issue with that upgrade. I have used iphones forever and never had that happen- but there is always a first.

Good news is that supervisor I just dealt with (after I finally got to him), did the right thing.

Mar 22, 2017 10:41 AM in response to Ingo2711

i tried as suggested and still fail to locate my gps. i want apple to solved his issue. they need to responsible for doing harm to public by not able to locate gps. just arrived home safely by depending to samsung. we are lucky to have samsung around. my family was lost in our way because of latest ios issue and the worst part i am the family leader. and my iphone the one who create all those chaos

Mar 22, 2017 11:47 AM in response to Nhn2u

Nhn2u wrote:

i want apple to solved his issue. they need to responsible for doing harm to public by not able to locate gps. just arrived home safely by depending to samsung.

Perhaps you're too young to remember but we all used to get home safely without GPS. While I understand it's annoying when tools don't work, it's still no cause for histrionics.

Apr 5, 2017 9:35 PM in response to marcokick

I am having the same frustrations. My iPhone 6 is less than 2 years old and excellent condition. Everything works well except the gps stopped working three weeks ago. I have been to the Genius Bar three times and have been on the phone with Apple support and after factory resetting phone to new twice, they said gps is not fixable. So they want to offer me $160 credit on a trade-in for a phone that I paid $749 for. Super unhappy. If so many people are having problems with the GPS it must be their problem. They told me since I did not have an extended warranty they can't do anything about it. Makes me want to use an android. What kind of company has a product that's less than two years old that can't be fixed. I think we've all come to rely upon the phone gps as helpful and important to our daily life. Unacceptable apple!!!

Apr 9, 2017 5:00 PM in response to Mgodoy1928

I agree, nothing is being done and I have had this issue for some time now. I refuse to accept this while "just upgrade to the latest device " line that the apple employees keep giving me, or just wait until the next software upgrade. I have waited through a few software upgrades now and still the same problem persists with the wifi, gps, and Bluetooth signals. I have taken great care of my phone and feel that something you pay the better part of $1000 should last more that 2 years.

Apple! Please fix this issue or you will lose another customer...

gps not working properly after iOS 9.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.