Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When to charge your iPhone or iPad

There's a lot of myth and folklore surrounding charging iOS devices (or actually any device that uses Lithium technology batteries). A lot of it comes from the advice given for older technologies, such as Nickel-Cadmium or Nickel-Metal-Hydride batteries. None of this applies to Lithium, however, and some of what we "know" from the NiCd and NiMH days is actually harmful to modern battery technology.

Things to understand:

• The "charger" for an iOS device is built into the device. It is not the thingy that plugs into the wall, and it is not the cable that connects the thingy that plugs into the wall to the phone. They are just a source of current and a way to get it to the phone, respectively.
  • Completely draining a Lithium battery, even once, will kill it. (Unlike NiCd and NiMH, which people really would drain completely to prevent "memory effect").
  • The internal charger is "smart" - It will prevent the device from being overcharged, and it will attempt to prevent the device from totally draining the battery by shutting down the device before the battery is fully depleted.
  • When the phone shuts off at 0% it really isn't zero; there's still sufficient charge on the device to prevent the battery from going completely flat. Likewise, 100% is not the maximum the battery can store; it stops charging slightly short of maximum to prevent overcharging.
  • The worst thing you can do is drain the battery to 0%, then not charge it immediately. After it reaches zero and shuts off there's a small amount of energy left, but if you leave it uncharged for long it WILL go flat and kill the battery. So if it reaches zero, charge it soon (within hours). And never leave a phone unused for weeks or months on end without periodically recharging it.
  • You should only use high quality USB power sources to charge your iOS device. They don't have to be Apple's (although Apple makes good ones), but they should never be cheapo USB sources, both because they may damage the phone and they may even injure you.
  • The power source needs to supply at least 1 amp to charge an iPhone, and 2 amps to charge an iPad. Note, however that a power source that can supply more than these values is OK to use; the internal battery charger will take only what it needs. So, for example, you can safely charge your iPhone with an iPad USB adapter.
  • iOS devices fast charge until they reach about 75%; the rate then slows down to prevent overcharging. So it will reach 75% very quickly (under an hour), but it can take a couple of hours more to reach full charge.

So what are the "rules" for charging? The most basic one is charge whenever you want to, for a long as you want to. There's no reason to let the device drain completely before charging (in fact, it's a bad idea to do that on a regular basis), and there's no need to wait until it reaches 100% before removing it from the power source. You can charge when it's at 40% and disconnect when it reaches 80%, or any other values, without hurting the phone.

The Best Practice, however, is to charge the phone overnight, every night. As it stops automatically at 100% you can't overcharge it doing this. You thus start the day with a fully charged phone. And, if you configure the phone for automatic backup using iTunes or iCloud, the phone will back up every night when it has a WiFi connection and is asleep.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1, 128 GB

Posted on Mar 26, 2016 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2018 9:33 AM

I too have read a lot about lithium ion batteries, and also have a lot of practical experience with them. I agree with 90% of what you’ve written here (and at When to charge your iPhone or iPad, where I could not comment), but I am curious about your insistence that “the very best strategy” is to leave it plugged in all night every night.

There seems to be plenty of evidence that lithium batteries prefer to live life near the centre of their charge range. Just as leaving them deeply discharged for long is harmful, leaving them fully-charged for a long time is harmful too. See, for example http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/bu_808b_what_causes_li_ion_to_die; search for the text “Charging to 3.92V/cell appears to provide the best compromise in term of maximum longevity”. I note that 3.92V appears to be around 65% on an iPhone.

I have experienced this effect with lithium laptop batteris too: keeping it plugged in all the time kills the battery within months. Once I got a replacement battery and programmed my ThinkPad to keep the charge level between something like 40% and 60% most of the time, that battery lasted darned-near forever. (Of course I charged it too 100% when I needed to use it in a mobile application. But at my desk, there was no point.)

I would agree that leaving an iPhone plugged in every night will not hurt it significantly, assuming a normal use case where the user unplugs it and uses it the next day; I’m sure it’s Apple’s standard use case. However, it stands to reason that an even better strategy—purely from the perspective of battery life and ignoring possible lost utility from not having a full charge, nightly backups to iCloud, etc.—would be to only charge it to around 80% except when you needed the full capacity. This is what I have done with my iPhones and have enjoyed excellent battery longevity. My wife and daugher, on the other hand, are both in the charge-it-up-to-100%-every-day camp, and their batteries don’t seem to last as long. Again, nothing wrong with this usage, and it’s what Apple expects. I just question the statement that “the very best strategy” is to leave it plugged in overnight every night. Since there are trade-offs, doesn’t the best strategy depend on what the user values?

Are you saying the lithium battery technology has changed that much in the last 15 years so that there is no longer any harm that results in consistently keeping a battery above 4V?

Or are you saying that the incremental wear that results in charging all the way up every night (resulting in a higher average voltage level over the life of the battery) is too infinitesimally small to be worth the trade-offs? And if that’s what you’re saying, can you quantify it?

86 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2018 9:33 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I too have read a lot about lithium ion batteries, and also have a lot of practical experience with them. I agree with 90% of what you’ve written here (and at When to charge your iPhone or iPad, where I could not comment), but I am curious about your insistence that “the very best strategy” is to leave it plugged in all night every night.

There seems to be plenty of evidence that lithium batteries prefer to live life near the centre of their charge range. Just as leaving them deeply discharged for long is harmful, leaving them fully-charged for a long time is harmful too. See, for example http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/bu_808b_what_causes_li_ion_to_die; search for the text “Charging to 3.92V/cell appears to provide the best compromise in term of maximum longevity”. I note that 3.92V appears to be around 65% on an iPhone.

I have experienced this effect with lithium laptop batteris too: keeping it plugged in all the time kills the battery within months. Once I got a replacement battery and programmed my ThinkPad to keep the charge level between something like 40% and 60% most of the time, that battery lasted darned-near forever. (Of course I charged it too 100% when I needed to use it in a mobile application. But at my desk, there was no point.)

I would agree that leaving an iPhone plugged in every night will not hurt it significantly, assuming a normal use case where the user unplugs it and uses it the next day; I’m sure it’s Apple’s standard use case. However, it stands to reason that an even better strategy—purely from the perspective of battery life and ignoring possible lost utility from not having a full charge, nightly backups to iCloud, etc.—would be to only charge it to around 80% except when you needed the full capacity. This is what I have done with my iPhones and have enjoyed excellent battery longevity. My wife and daugher, on the other hand, are both in the charge-it-up-to-100%-every-day camp, and their batteries don’t seem to last as long. Again, nothing wrong with this usage, and it’s what Apple expects. I just question the statement that “the very best strategy” is to leave it plugged in overnight every night. Since there are trade-offs, doesn’t the best strategy depend on what the user values?

Are you saying the lithium battery technology has changed that much in the last 15 years so that there is no longer any harm that results in consistently keeping a battery above 4V?

Or are you saying that the incremental wear that results in charging all the way up every night (resulting in a higher average voltage level over the life of the battery) is too infinitesimally small to be worth the trade-offs? And if that’s what you’re saying, can you quantify it?

Sep 2, 2017 8:28 AM in response to CMONSTR

I have been an Electrical/Electronic Engineer for 50 years. I am a life member of IEEE. My projects included the first electronic landing system for aircraft carriers; first deployed in 1970, the same system is still in use on 10 Nimitz class carriers. It was also adapted by NASA as the landing system for the space shuttle. Regarding Lithium technology batteries, that's easy; there are published standards on the technology from manufacturers of both the batteries and the charging technologies for them. I read and follow them. Specifically for Apple products, Apple has published recommendations for use of batteries in Apple products. Most of what I post comes from Apple's recommendations. I have also measured charging curves for different models iPhones and iPads, which is where I got information on charging times that is not published by Apple.

Sep 17, 2017 5:59 PM in response to markfromsolanabeach

markfromsolanabeach wrote:

I vaguely remember an old Apple Support Article which, at one point in the history of iPhones and iPads, explained that there was a Finite Number of Charges allocated to the aforementioned products. For instance, regardless of what percentage your product has left, i.e. 10%, 50%, 80%, it was documented that a User could plug in to Charge your iPhone and iPad, "x" number of times, which if I recall correctly was around 500 charges, before the Battery would need to be replaced. As an aside, do you know, or understand, why Apple made the choice of not allowing easy access to the Battery and also went from having External SIM Cards to inaccessible Internal SIM Cards?

The battery in a current model iPhone is rated at 600 full cycle charges to 80% battery capacity. There is also an age limit of about 5 years, but most phones will reach the charge cycles first. A "full charge cycle" means from 100% to zero, and recharge to 100%. But if you charge the phone at 75% that is only 1/4 of a charge cycle; if you did this 4 times it would count as one full charge cycle. So it has nothing to do with the number of times you plug it in. To follow this example, if you always charged it at 75% you could plug it in 2,400 times. And even then you would still have 80% of the battery capacity. For most people they will replace the phone before their battery drops to 80% capacity.

To make a battery that was replaceable would make the phone twice the thickness that it is. As most people will never reach the point of replacing, doubling the thickness (and weight) of the phone would make the phone less desirable. And Apple will replace the battery, for the few users that need a new battery, for $79. A good quality replacement battery will cost around $40, so the cost savings for a replaceable battery is only $39.

All iPhones have replaceable SIM cards; there has never been any iPhone with an inaccessible Internal SIM Card. I don't know why you think they are not removeable; do you actually have an iPhone? See: iPhone and iPad: How to remove the SIM card

Are you aware of any similar sounding Support Articles to which I am referring, and if so, do you agree with the Logic I described above, as it pertains to supporting a Finite number of Charges? In Concept, being that Lithium-Ion Batteries are currently the most efficient and effective choice for charging devices, Applied Science should determine the most optimum means for Efficiency and Effectiveness, as it relates to charging and discharging of lithium-ion batteries. Are you aware of any Scientific evidence that can be applied to support this discussion?

Lithium chemistry batteries (every one of them, regardless of manufacturer) as well as all other secondary (rechargeable) batteries have a finite life. I'm sure you can find lots of useful information with Google. One starting point: http://www.buchmann.ca/buchmann/ Here are a couple of Apple articles listed: Batteries - Why Lithium-ion? - Apple

In my own humble opinion, I believe this was likely just a Legal Disclaimer from Apple regarding the product's Battery Life Expectancy, as a means of setting User Expectations, much like when the car manufacturer, Tesla, originally stated that the Life Expectancy for the S Model lithium-ion battery to be somewhere around 80,000 miles, which was later proven to be more like 100,000 miles. In both cases, a means of setting user expectations, taken from Sales, Underpromise and Overdeliver.

As with Tesla, batteries that Apple uses have a certain lifespan rating. Some batteries will last longer, others will last less time. These result from minor variations in manufacturing techniques, operating conditions, luck, and also how long they are in use. For example, batteries that are used near the upper end of their temperature ratings won't last as long as batteries kept near the middle of the range. And if you routinely drain them to zero and let them sit before recharging them this will significantly shorten their life. And imagine if Tesla said the battery was good for 100,000 miles, and someone needed to replace it at 99,000 miles. Some people would sue Tesla. Rating it at 80,000 miles takes into consideration all of the variables I mentioned. In addition, for Tesla, unlike Apple, measuring miles is only an indirect measure of battery life. The actual life is number of full charge cycles. If someone does all of their driving at 100 MPH they will clearly go further for the number of full charge cycles than someone who drives 60 MPH. So Tesla had to take this into consideration in estimating miles, even though the actual battery life is determined by full charge cycles, not miles.

Feb 9, 2018 2:05 PM in response to FarazSidd

FarazSidd wrote:

Heyy sir Can you please help me

I want to know can we charge our iPhone thrice a day? Will it harm my battery in long term?

If I maintain my battery from 50% - 80% then I need to charge it twice to thrice a day

If this is harmful

Then I need to charge my battery to 100% and then use it till 10% this will work in 1 charge whole day

Tell me which one is good for battery performance and health for longer use?

It will not harm your battery to charge it twice a day, or as many times as you need to. There is also no reason to maintain it between 50% and 80%. The best approach it to charge it overnight, every night, and enable iCloud backups. The phone will do an automatic backup every night when locked and connected to power and Wi-Fi.

For more info, see: When to charge your iPhone or iPad

Sep 17, 2017 11:20 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

@LawrenceFinch Big Fan of your Dedication and Diligence in the Apple Product Forums. I would appreciate if you could help shine some more light on Battery Life Expectancy and Maintenance for the Apple iPhone and iPad for curious Users in this Forum.

I vaguely remember an old Apple Support Article which, at one point in the history of iPhones and iPads, explained that there was a Finite Number of Charges allocated to the aforementioned products. For instance, regardless of what percentage your product has left, i.e. 10%, 50%, 80%, it was documented that a User could plug in to Charge your iPhone and iPad, "x" number of times, which if I recall correctly was around 500 charges, before the Battery would need to be replaced. As an aside, do you know, or understand, why Apple made the choice of not allowing easy access to the Battery and also went from having External SIM Cards to inaccessible Internal SIM Cards?

Are you aware of any similar sounding Support Articles to which I am referring, and if so, do you agree with the Logic I described above, as it pertains to supporting a Finite number of Charges? In Concept, being that Lithium-Ion Batteries are currently the most efficient and effective choice for charging devices, Applied Science should determine the most optimum means for Efficiency and Effectiveness, as it relates to charging and discharging of lithium-ion batteries. Are you aware of any Scientific evidence that can be applied to support this discussion?

In my own humble opinion, I believe this was likely just a Legal Disclaimer from Apple regarding the product's Battery Life Expectancy, as a means of setting User Expectations, much like when the car manufacturer, Tesla, originally stated that the Life Expectancy for the S Model lithium-ion battery to be somewhere around 80,000 miles, which was later proven to be more like 100,000 miles. In both cases, a means of setting user expectations, taken from Sales, Underpromise and Overdeliver.

I would greatly appreciate any information and feedback you could provide, as I am sure that many people in this Forum would appreciate knowing the cold, hard facts when it comes to Life Expectancy and proper Maintenance of their Apple I Products.

Regards,

Mark Halsey

Dec 10, 2017 11:53 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Good to know. I know your post is over 1year. But I had iPhone 6 128 gigs, I used to charge iPhone every night, whatever the charge is until 100%. Apparently, had issues with battery, like phone almost died one day. It suddenly went to 10% charge, put battery on low power something, then charge went up to 60%? I recently got iPhone X, I will try follow your directions and who knows, if get any issues with battery.👍

Dec 11, 2017 1:31 AM in response to BORg529

I read somewhere that best strategy is to recharge when it is around 20% and leave it plugged in until at least 95%.

In fact, I used to have an iPad that, being lazy, I recharged often when at 2% or even less, i.e. when I had no other option than to plug it in, and very often I plugged it off when it was not even at 70%. The battery lost 10% capacity in less than 100 cycles...

Dec 11, 2017 7:10 AM in response to Grriz86

Whatever you read was wrong. See my post above. The best strategy is to charge the phone whenever convenient, ignoring any advice such as you "read somewhere". The very best strategy is to charge the phone overnight, every night. No need to remove it from the power source, as the phone stops charging on its own when it reaches full charge.

Jan 19, 2018 1:54 PM in response to chcn

Thank you for your thoughtful post. I will answer it as best I can.

chcn wrote:

Yes, that is true for batteries being stored; even Apple says to leave a device to be stored at around 50%. But when a battery is continually being used it isn't the same thing as storage, and an iPhone battery usually cycles over a wide range of SoC. I do keep the 2 iPod Classics that I don't use regularly at around 50%, but the one that I use all the time I leave plugged in all the time and it is close to 10 years old on the original battery.

chcn wrote:

That has not been my experience. I have a 4 1/2 year old Macbook Pro that I use mostly as a desktop computer with an external display. It is plugged in most of the time. When I do take it traveling, or I unplug it to check the battery condition, it still gets the 10-12 hours of battery life it did when it was new. I also have a 2011 Macbook Air which I leave off and plugged in most of the time, and only turn it on when I travel. It also gets the 3-4 hours of battery life it did when it was new. That's after almost 7 years of use (The MBP is for business travel, the MBA for personal when all I need is a web browser and email). Back when I had a thinkpad its battery didn't do nearly was well; I think it's more a matter of how "smart" the battery management in the computer is. Apple's batteries are not user serviceable or replaceable, so they have to get it right. So my batteries appear to last darned-near forever, even though they are charged continuously.

On your other points and questions, I have never had an iOS device battery degrade during the useful life of the device, even with charging overnight every night. I consider useful life to be about 2 years. The one exception is my wife's hand-me-down iPhone 4s, which is now at 59% capacity. I will be changing the battery this weekend. The phone is an in-warranty replacement (the power switch broke) and is currently 5 years old. The battery is shown signs of high internal resistance (the battery shows, for example, 20% but jumps to 60% immediately if connected to a charger). I think Lithium technology has come a long way in 10 years. Back when the iPhone first came out Apple recommended discharging until it shut off, then charging to 100% about once a month. They dropped that recommendation about 5 years ago.

Consider also the Tesla, which is entirely powered by Lithium Ion batteries; there have been no history of battery failures reported. Or my 2012 Plug-in Prius. It's battery capacity has not changed in the almost 6 years I have had it, and I tend to keep it near full charge when idle.

To your point about keeping a battery midrange, I also have a 2003 Prius. It's battery is NiMH, and the charge management keeps it between 20% and 80%. The battery still has its original capacity after 15 years and 100,000 miles. But that is a completely different technology.

Jan 19, 2018 3:56 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

So, final word (maybe) on this is that it's fine to charge an iPhone battery up to 100% vice stopping at say, 80%? And it's not good to let it run down to 0%, correct? Recharge at 20% when it hits low power mode, or would 40% be better? Still seeing that 40%-80% range in places. I do not keep mine on a charger at nights so I have no dog in that fight. Just looking for optimal battery life. Thanks!

Jan 19, 2018 6:53 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

A followup question regarding iPhone charging. Should I drain the battery down to zero monthly and fully recharge as some have suggested. Does doing that and recharging to 100% "reset" the battery in some way? Alternatively, is it harmful to do that? Still seeing some sites which advocate no more than an 80% charge and down to about 40%; no lower than 20%. ????

Jan 19, 2018 7:30 PM in response to navy001

No, that was to recalibrate the battery gauge, it had nothing to do with the battery itself. It is no longer recommended by Apple. It isn’t harmful, but it doesn’t do any good either. I’m sure you can find sites with all sorts of advice if you look hard enough. That doesn’t make them right. That advice was appropriate for battery technologies from 20 years ago, but some myths die hard.

Jan 19, 2018 11:22 PM in response to navy001

That’s not what I said. My advice is, and has always been, to not worry about when or how long to charge it. Charge when convenient for as long as convenient. Which is also Apple‘s advice. There are several advantages to charging overnight: the battery will be full at the start of the day; if you turn on iCloud Backups it will back up overnight; it will reduce the total number of charge cycles because background processes will use mains power instead of battery power. The last is important because battery life is primarily a function of full charge cycles.

Jan 21, 2018 3:46 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:

That’s not what I said. My advice is, and has always been, to not worry about when or how long to charge it. Charge when convenient for as long as convenient. Which is also Apple‘s advice. There are several advantages to charging overnight: the battery will be full at the start of the day; if you turn on iCloud Backups it will back up overnight; it will reduce the total number of charge cycles because background processes will use mains power instead of battery power. The last is important because battery life is primarily a function of full charge cycles.

Just as an aside, a lot of what you say is sound advice for the majority of users. However, Apple doesn't enable a particularly extreme method for that I've heard used in other battery-powered devices. My parents got a notebook computer that had an "optimized life" battery management setting. This setting would only allow the charge to get to 50% and it would only start charging if the charge level was under 40%. If it was disconnected at 45%, it wouldn't charge until it dropped below 40%. Under such conditions the ultimate life can be orders of magnitude longer if the intent is to only use it on battery for short periods.

Tesla cars have extremely flexible user configurable battery management. Some experts recommend certain settings that could mean the battery will never need replacement, but of course Apple doesn't allow the user to select individual battery management profiles. The average phone user values capacity over longevity - especially in a device that's probably replaced in a few years.

https://electrek.co/2017/09/01/tesla-battery-expert-recommends-daily-battery-pac k-charging/

Therefore, they are already doing well and could last for years and hundred of thousand of miles, but there are also things that you can do to optimize the results.

One of those things is not charging to a full charge too often. Repeated full charges can negatively impact li-ion battery cells, which is why Tesla recommends to only daily charge to 90% capacity and to charge to 100% only when needed for long trips.

But if someone wants to really push the optimisation to its limit, Dahn suggests going even lower.

A Model X owner on TMC aims to keep his all-electric SUV for up to 20 years and he decided to reach to Dahn for advice on daily charging to optimize the battery pack longevity. The researcher responded:

“I would recommend charging to 70% normally. When you need a long trip, charge to 100%.”

That’s even lower, but again, it’s still over 150 miles of range on most versions of Tesla’s vehicles and if the need arises, they can actually charge to 100%.

It’s quite easy to set up the charge limit, which can be done in the car or through Tesla’s mobile app. The problem is for unplanned use of the car, it can be useful to have the extra charge.

When to charge your iPhone or iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.