Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since update to 12.3.3.17, iTunes crashes every time.

Ever since updating to the latest version of iTunes, I can't seem to get the program to load past the splash screen.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled, gotten a fresh download of the software, rebooted, and tried again, but iTunes crashes about 10 seconds into the load. I have a Windows 7 OS, on an HP Optima machine. It worked perfectly prior to the update. I tried loading an older version and that works, but doesn't interface with my iPad. I am not sure what is going on. Thanks.

Arielphf.

iPad Mini, Windows 7, iPad is running current software.

Posted on Mar 26, 2016 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2016 5:12 PM

Try Fix unexpected quits or launch issues in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support first.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try theiTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for performance issues or compatibility with third party software.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there also links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2016 5:12 PM in response to Arielphf

Try Fix unexpected quits or launch issues in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support first.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try theiTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for performance issues or compatibility with third party software.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there also links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Mar 28, 2016 5:11 PM in response to turingtest2

I wasn't able to get the current version to work, but I was able to get the previous one loaded and working. Thanks for the link.

I don't know what it is about the latest version of the program, but it sure didn't work. I would get the splash screen, then it would hang for a bit and I would then get the error message:

"iTunes has stopped working

A problem cause the program to stop working correctly.

Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is

available."

Tells you a lot, eh? At least I can keep working now. Maybe they'll find a fix for the next update. Thanks.

Mar 29, 2016 6:09 AM in response to Arielphf

I'm having the exact same issue following the update to 12.3.3.17. (Windows 7 64bit). I'm unable to run anything as the admin so I'm kind of stuck.

Opening normally (connecting a device or starting the program manually), it will open to the library, I cannot click on anything and the program crashes.

I can open in safe mode and it will let me browse the menu options, but the program crashes moments later. The same error shows in both cases.

"iTunes has stopped working

A problem cause the program to stop working correctly.

Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is

available."

I tried the repair option from the control panel, but there is no improvement. I can't uninstall as I'm not an admin, so when I try to run the installer for an older version, the install stops as there in a newer version installed.

Any additional insight will be helpful.
Many thanks

Mar 29, 2016 7:04 AM in response to AnUnknownUnknown

Uninstall all components and reinstall using admin rights. If you're not the administrator of the computer ask them to do it. There are notes below the second box (as mentioned below) which can help to remove sticky components.

tt2

Since update to 12.3.3.17, iTunes crashes every time.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.