Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

UNABLE TO SAVE MY EDITED PHOTOS

Hi! It's been 3 long days that I haven't been able to save photos that I edit off of my iPhone 6plus. I've already instaled the newest softwar, I've turned my phone off & on & even kept it off for a few hours and still nothing!

One message reads: "THERE WAS AN ERROR SAVING THIS PHOTO. PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER."

The other one reads: "UNABLE TO DOWNLOAD AT THIS MOMENT, TRY AGAIN LATER."

Before I wouldn't of cared so much but this is interfering with my new little busines, so I need to solve this ASAP!

Please Help!

Thank you Kindly!

Lucy

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.3

Posted on Mar 27, 2016 3:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2016 4:14 AM

The following steps should resolve things assuming all of the content you want is in your library.

(If it isn't see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device.)

1. Backup device.
  2. Restore as a new device.
  3. Restore the backup you made earlier.

The photos in your camera roll should be backed up and restored, though you should be copying these off manually on a regular basis for security.

N.b. A feature introduced with iOS 9 referred to as app thinning or app slicing allows each device to download only the code and resources needed by that device, resulting in smaller downloads and better use of storage on the device. As a consequence the device no longer holds the universal version of the app that could be installed on any device so transferring apps is no longer supported. You can however download past purchases from iTunes and/or enable automatic downloads of app purchases to make sure that iTunes always has the apps that you want on your device. A further change to the way restores are implemented means that all private app data is restored and apps that are not in the library are queued for download from the iTunes Store over Wi-Fi, in a similar fashion to the way restore from iCloud works. Not having the apps in your library isn't the drawback it once was, however you are still at risk of losing a favoured app if it is removed from the store and you don't have a local copy.

tt2

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2016 4:14 AM in response to Lucerito818

The following steps should resolve things assuming all of the content you want is in your library.

(If it isn't see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device.)

1. Backup device.
  2. Restore as a new device.
  3. Restore the backup you made earlier.

The photos in your camera roll should be backed up and restored, though you should be copying these off manually on a regular basis for security.

N.b. A feature introduced with iOS 9 referred to as app thinning or app slicing allows each device to download only the code and resources needed by that device, resulting in smaller downloads and better use of storage on the device. As a consequence the device no longer holds the universal version of the app that could be installed on any device so transferring apps is no longer supported. You can however download past purchases from iTunes and/or enable automatic downloads of app purchases to make sure that iTunes always has the apps that you want on your device. A further change to the way restores are implemented means that all private app data is restored and apps that are not in the library are queued for download from the iTunes Store over Wi-Fi, in a similar fashion to the way restore from iCloud works. Not having the apps in your library isn't the drawback it once was, however you are still at risk of losing a favoured app if it is removed from the store and you don't have a local copy.

tt2

Apr 5, 2016 9:32 PM in response to turingtest2

Did anyone find the solution to this problem? It persists for me after update to iOS 9.3.1 also. As I have a few hundreds of apps I don't want to go through full restore. Can anyone who had this problem and went through restore confirm that this really helps?

Strange thing is that saving edits of photos only brings error message from native Apple Photos app while other apps e.g. Snapseed allow editing and saving modifications over original photo. Another observation regarding photos - I have thousands of them so I keep them on iCloud Photo Library and have switch "Optimise iPhone Storage" turned on in Photos&Camera settings. Previously it kept some latest photos in original quality also and now it seams that phone downloading photo every time I try to access it. This is a big issue in some apps that shows only locally available photos - photo library appears as empty 😟

Problems appears on my iPhone 5s, while I still can perform normal Photo editing and other operations on my iPad, so it's not an urgent but anyway - annoying.

Can someone with higher status escalate this problem to Apple or at least explain where and how to report in order to be noticed?

thanks a lot

Gytis

May 4, 2016 1:47 PM in response to turingtest2

I am facing the same problem since upgrading to 9.3.1. Cannot save edited versions of photos, using either the native Photo app, or other 3rd party photo apps that I use. Also, cannot send photos by text (SMS) - the SMS simply won't attach the selected photos. Email seems to work fine.

DOING A FACTORY RESTORE DID NOT HELP: I have tried to do a factory restore from iTunes and restoring my settings from backup, but that has not helped. The problem is still there.

(On a side note: using iTunes nowadays is like torture - bloated, clunky, agonizingly slow software. I took me full 5 hours to go through the restore process, and even then iTunes messed up many of the apps and music files on my iPhone.)

May 25, 2016 1:57 AM in response to ayanroyc

I don't think people should follow the advice to "restore the phone". It's not good to do that as your FIRST bit of troubleshooting. Later on, sure - but there are other things to try first.

Some people have found that it helps if they go into iCloud settings and switch off iCloud photos.

Go to 'settings' then 'iCloud' then 'photos', and switch 'iCloud photos' off. You'll be asked if you want to delete all the photos from your phone.

This might worry you - but your photos are safely stored online in iCloud (you can check this by going to a laptop, then opening a web browser and going to http://icloud.com and signing in - you can view your photos (sign out after!)

Once you feel sure that your photos are safe, you can tap "delete from iPhone". Then wait a minute or so for the photos to all delete, restart the phone and turn iCloud photos back on.

I am not saying this will solve it - I'm just saying that some people have had the issue solved by doing this.

I have just done this, and so far it seems to have solved the problem. However, I will have to wait and see, because sometimes these problems come back.

Jun 1, 2016 5:18 PM in response to Lucerito818

I was having the same issue. I went to SETTINGS ...then PHOTOS & CAMERA...I changed the options from Optimize iPhone Storage, to DOWNLOAD & KEEP ORIGINALS...

I think Normally under the Optimize setting photos are downloaded back to the original and then you are allowed to edit. For some reason our phones are not allowing us the option to download our photos...Still not sure WHY this is happening, but at least with this option it allows me to edit and save now!!

Hope this helps!

UNABLE TO SAVE MY EDITED PHOTOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.